• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC cases

86 posts in this topic

I'm going to say this now and forever, there is no way to crack a CGC book and put it back together with another book.

Its impossible and when you crack even a blue label book and try to put it back together you can't.

Glue won't work, tape won't work. Won't happen. Don't think this is something CGC needs to fix.

You cant cut top posts with x acto and superglue back together?

Anyone who has cracked a blue label book can tell you that this is impossible.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

I've cracked slabs & had the posts not break.

I'm going to say this now and forever, there is no way to crack a CGC book and put it back together with another book.

Its impossible and when you crack even a blue label book and try to put it back together you can't.

Glue won't work, tape won't work. Won't happen. Don't think this is something CGC needs to fix.

I've cracked slabs & had the posts not break.

So have I. But the case doesn't go back together like it was pre-crack and it never will. Don't pretend it does.

What makes you think CGC is the only one on the planet with access to ultrasonic welding machines?

There's probably more than a few Universities with document-conservation departments. And the equipment to teach students the art of mylar encapsulation.

:screwy:

Whenever I cracked the cases, few of them were opened easily. Just popped at the bottom case without breaking or cracking. I keep them in case of other case is cracked or damaged. I can replace them with the undamaged cases then use the superglue to seal the cases without a problem. No need to pay other puny $11 reholder fee.

Jimmy is right. Removing the label from the sealed comic book is difficult. It is impossible to replace the label with the higher grade.

What makes you think CGC is the only one on the planet with access to ultrasonic welding machines?

There's probably more than a few Universities with document-conservation departments. And the equipment to teach students the art of mylar encapsulation.

You're right. With thousands of dollars on the line, criminals would conclude "impossible". Not give it a second thought.

Why's it even being discussed? (shrug)

You're right. With thousands of dollars on the line, criminals would conclude "impossible". Not give it a second thought.

some insufficiently_thoughtful_person started a thread and everyone jumped on board the crazy train.

See,

some insufficiently_thoughtful_person started a thread and everyone jumped on board the crazy train.

Well, rest easy with being right. It's "impossible".

Preservation Department, Indiana University

Well, rest easy with being right. It's "impossible".

Preservation Department, Indiana University

You're right. The CGC world is going to end. The black market CGC dealers are taking over.

Get real.

I was the one involved with the Hulk 181 case. It was a PGX or CGC case that was plastic heat sealed. I just happened to be nearby when Anastasia Collectibles was about to cut the plastic open for a customer who had bought it off of Craigslist. They asked me to be a witness and as soon as it was opened the case separated. The inner well was sliced open at the bottom. I inspected the book and found the cap glued underneath the photo cover.

It was painfully obvious the case had been tampered with. That poor couple who got scammed off craigslist.

I crack many slabs and reuse the hard shells on other books. Its not done to deceive anyone, although someone with ill intent might get away with the deciept.

Most inner cases are sealed, but some open with just a pull.

They are not tamper proof.

+1 For the most part, I can open the two top posts without incurring any cracks. The label slides out very easily, as does the inner well. I can then insert a favorite raw. Here is an example I did this morning. Obviously, the book I am referring to is on the right.

IMG_4106.jpg

CGC cases are tamper resistant, not tamper proof. This being discussed (along with Justin Timberlake and Sammy Davis Jr - I love Comic General) on another thread)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7998202&fpart=1

It most certainly is possible to pop open a couple of the corner posts doing little or no damage to the outer holder. With two posts open on the same side, the inner holder and book can be slid out. Without any special effort, I can unslab a book and not noticeably damage the outer holder about 1 out of every 3 tries. Were I to put some effort into it and use a few tools, I'm sure I could do better than that. \

If you pop 2 posts, CGC wouldn't accept it as a reholder, though - it would be a regrade.

Yep. That's true. Thank you for making that clear

So...it is possible then.....

The label comes right out, the posts can be re attached.

Would like to get CGC's take on this

So this thread is about the best way to tamper with a CGC case and get away with it?..........On the CGC website? Huh!

No, not at all. The OP asked if cracked open, are the CGC cases reusable. Some of us said, if done carefully, yes. The cases were designed to be able to crack open. As was pointed out though, since at least two posts would be popped, it is no longer a certified copy. Reusing the case is about the same as reusing the bag. I don't see where you should have an issue here.

No it was CGC

PGX was the wrong TMNT label

That never actually happened. That whole thing was a scam.

-J.

I'd still really like to see where the original poster of that video admitted that. I heard he did, but I havn't read it anywhere.

He never admitted it people just realized who would film such a thing it looked too much like a set up.

I cracked a couple of books out last night. Both showed very little damage to slab. What little damage there was - a bit of rough or unevenness along the very top edge. A few drops of glue to seal the corners, sticking the the top label back on would pretty much completely hide the fact the slab had been opened.

Again, I do this entirely by hand as I'm not seriously trying to save the slab. If I save it great, I have friends that will take them. If not they go in the trash. I can think of a couple of ideas for popping them loose that should increase the odds of a clean popping of the posts.

First a picture of the slab just popped open enough to get the book out:

Toppostspopped_zpsb2470641.jpg

Next the book slid out partly. CGC really ought to completely seal the top label inside the inner holder.

Bookpulledoutthroughthetop_zpseb3e3cd8.jpg

As you can see slab looks fine

done_zpsb9c7847e.jpg