• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC cases

86 posts in this topic

I'm not going to break my own to find out. I know people have done this before.

The reason that I am asking this question.... I'm trying to sell a cgc comic on ebay. This guy asked me if i "can guarantee the item is still verified as 9.8 CGC SS authentic". It has a 1/2 in crack on middle of the side of the case due to shipping from cgc.

So, I'm just wondering if someone can open a cgc case, tamper with the comic and put it back in the case making it look like it was never touched. I know that the comic has to be cut out of its plastic seal but I'm not sure if the label is also sealed and has to be cut out too. The outer case from what i have read so far cannot be reused again.

Thanks everyone

Joel

Yes someone can and has done that. But the case wasn't cracked. No one can guarantee what the guy is asking even for an intact case.

Just give him your own guarantee but check his feedback to see if he's a complainer.

are you sure it's a crack? Cgc cases are not welded shut. There is an opening along the sides. The corner posts prevent someone from cracking out a book and switching it. The posts break if you open the case and it can't be resealed. If I remember correctly, the label is not sealed within the inner well. It is open at the top. Only that book is sealed within the inner well.

Yes someone can and has done that. But the case wasn't cracked. No one can guarantee what the guy is asking even for an intact case.

Just give him your own guarantee but check his feedback to see if he's a complainer.

Maybe the person had access to new cases?

I made a trip to China and went to a case manufacturer plant. Found a worker who traded me a few cases for a used iPhone. Then I purchased an Action Comics 9.0 and a 8.0, cracked both open and switched out the labels. Installed a brand new slab on the "9.0" and sent out the real 9.0 back to CGC for regrading. Hopefully the fake 9.0 will sell quick because I don't want to get charged interest on my credit card, and the real 9.0 doesn't come back from CGC with a purple label.

O, and anyone WTB an Amazing Fantasy 15 9.8? Selling it cheap.

Maybe the person had access to new cases?

I made a trip to China and went to a case manufacturer plant. Found a worker who traded me a few cases for a used iPhone. Then I purchased an Action Comics 9.0 and a 8.0, cracked both open and switched out the labels. Installed a brand new slab on the "9.0" and sent out the real 9.0 back to CGC for regrading. Hopefully the fake 9.0 will sell quick because I don't want to get charged interest on my credit card, and the real 9.0 doesn't come back from CGC with a purple label.

O, and anyone WTB an Amazing Fantasy 15 9.8? Selling it cheap.

:roflmao:

I'm not going to break my own to find out. I know people have done this before.

The reason that I am asking this question.... I'm trying to sell a cgc comic on ebay. This guy asked me if i "can guarantee the item is still verified as 9.8 CGC SS authentic". It has a 1/2 in crack on middle of the side of the case due to shipping from cgc.

So, I'm just wondering if someone can open a cgc case, tamper with the comic and put it back in the case making it look like it was never touched. I know that the comic has to be cut out of its plastic seal but I'm not sure if the label is also sealed and has to be cut out too. The outer case from what i have read so far cannot be reused again.

Thanks everyone

Joel

Instead of tampering with the case and ensuring it's not "authentic," maybe try sending it in for a reholder if you're concerned. :idea:

You're welcome.

THE_BEYONDER... Thanks

MadGenius: No, I just want to know if the CGC outer shell case can be reused if opened. Or the hard shell case is unusable once it opened, like cannot stay shut in the corners due to damage from being opened. Another thing i want to know is... the comic and the CGC label grade are sealed inside another plastic case and have to be removed by cutting them out with scissors or a razor?

Hope this makes sense

Joel

I crack many slabs and reuse the hard shells on other books. Its not done to deceive anyone, although someone with ill intent might get away with the deciept.

Most inner cases are sealed, but some open with just a pull.

They are not tamper proof.

What about the guy with the bogus Hulk 181 with the Cap Nomad interior-it was undetectably opened and re sealed. A cgc rep opened it and saw no red flags.

When did this happen???

It was a PGX book, not a CGC book.

link

Holy toledo all this time I was remembering it as a cgc book and no one ever corrected me. So cgc holders are tamper proof right?