• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC cases

86 posts in this topic

:doh:

"Just take it easy, Champ. Why don't you stop talking for a while?

"Maybe sit the next couple of plays out."

"You know what l mean?"

"Yeah, l'm gonna quit sayin' things, that pop up in the ol' skull."

Holy toledo all this time I was remembering it as a cgc book and no one ever corrected me. So cgc holders are tamper proof right?

I've corrected you before :whistle:

link

Weird I completely forgot that

Old age I guess

What about the guy with the bogus Hulk 181 with the Cap Nomad interior-it was undetectably opened and re sealed. A cgc rep opened it and saw no red flags.

When did this happen???

It was a PGX book, not a CGC book.

link

I'm incredibly relieved to hear this. I never heard of anything like this happening to CGC so of course I've breathed a big sigh of relief. :headbang:

CGC cases are tamper resistant, not tamper proof. This being discussed (along with Justin Timberlake and Sammy Davis Jr - I love Comic General) on another thread)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7998202&fpart=1

It most certainly is possible to pop open a couple of the corner posts doing little or no damage to the outer holder. With two posts open on the same side, the inner holder and book can be slid out. Without any special effort, I can unslab a book and not noticeably damage the outer holder about 1 out of every 3 tries. Were I to put some effort into it and use a few tools, I'm sure I could do better than that.

I have friends that are always happy to have the slabs with little or no damage and use them for displaying comics.

PGX slabs are indeed less likely to crack when unslabbed. It gets back to something I have observed a number of times. With plastic, you choose the qualities you want and there are always compromises. CGC has chosen a harder, less flexible outer shell that is more scratch resistant. PGX's outer holder is a bit softer, about an ounce heavier, less likely to crack but more easily scratched.

AS for the the OP's original question. If three of the four posts corner posts are secure, the book has not been tampered with. A crack in the slab is not something that the book and inner holder could be slipped through. Also, as someone else noted - it is common for those seeing CGC graded books for the first time to think there is something wrong because horizontally, the outer holder has a gap. And/or can be flexed open slightly. That is not a crack, that is not a defect nor an indicator the book has been switched. The outer holder is manufactured as two separate halves. The two outer holder halves are only sealed together at the four corners.

CGC cases are tamper resistant, not tamper proof. This being discussed (along with Justin Timberlake and Sammy Davis Jr - I love Comic General) on another thread)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7998202&fpart=1

It most certainly is possible to pop open a couple of the corner posts doing little or no damage to the outer holder. With two posts open on the same side, the inner holder and book can be slid out. Without any special effort, I can unslab a book and not noticeably damage the outer holder about 1 out of every 3 tries. Were I to put some effort into it and use a few tools, I'm sure I could do better than that. \

If you pop 2 posts, CGC wouldn't accept it as a reholder, though - it would be a regrade.

Heres a story I heard at Fan Expo today.

Someone named Paul, who is always really creepy, but I've been told to be nice to him because he apparently has a very nice collection of golden age supes. I thought he was a respected person in the toronto comic scene as a buyer. Today he apparently tried to sell a CGC 9.4 avengers 4 to a french dealer. The Dealer examined the book and was able to break it apart. Or it broke out in his hands.

The 9.4 grade was a photo copy over a 8.0.

Someone named Paul, who is always really creepy, but I've been told to be nice to him because he apparently has a very nice collection of golden age supes. I thought he was a respected person in the toronto comic scene as a buyer. Today he apparently tried to sell a CGC 9.4 avengers 4 to a french dealer. The Dealer examined the book and was able to break it apart. Or it broke out in his hands.

How badly was he beaten?

:popcorn:

Has that urban myth ring to it. In so much as a criminal would use a same-vintage cadaver with a matching back cover ad, not paste over an 8.0 Avengers 4. That would be sent back in again for a new serial number, label and grade, another chance to do it all over again.

I'm going to say this now and forever, there is no way to crack a CGC book and put it back together with another book.

Its impossible and when you crack even a blue label book and try to put it back together you can't.

Glue won't work, tape won't work. Won't happen. Don't think this is something CGC needs to fix.

I'm going to say this now and forever, there is no way to crack a CGC book and put it back together with another book.

Its impossible and when you crack even a blue label book and try to put it back together you can't.

Glue won't work, tape won't work. Won't happen. Don't think this is something CGC needs to fix.

You cant cut top posts with x acto and superglue back together?

Anyone who has cracked a blue label book can tell you that this is impossible.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

Thx Jimmy-this is good news

No wonder we havent heard about it happening all the time

If scammers could do it, they would do it

Anyone who has cracked a blue label book can tell you that this is impossible.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

What makes you think CGC is the only one on the planet with access to ultrasonic welding machines?

There's probably more than a few Universities with document-conservation departments. And the equipment to teach students the art of mylar encapsulation.