BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE

91 posts in this topic

5,569 posts

Went to an auction today and picked up this issue along with 15 others including

Miller's "DARK KNIGHTS" a "LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT" #1, and the collector's

issue of a "DEATH IN THE FAMILY".

I wasn't planning to buy anything but I couldn't pass this up and nobody else was bidding.

15096562575_e83614b049.jpg

mm

752 posts

Great book and story. I have one of my copies off for grading right now.

5,569 posts
Great book and story. I have one of my copies off for grading right now.

THANKS!...good luck with your grade...let me know how you make out.

mm

5,569 posts
Great book. Im a fan (thumbs u

THANKS...not what I normally collect, but I couldn't pass it up.

mm

131 posts

I would have been bidding on that lot nice pick up

2,215 posts

Nice pick up.

I used to love my copy...

...until Brian Bolland forgot how to spell his own name :(

KillingJokea_zps35b45b84.jpg

(apologies for the poor scan)

3,137 posts

Great read, I have a raw copy myself that could be a 9.8 but I'm not sure it's worth submitting since there are so many graded examples out there.

5,569 posts
Great read, I have a raw copy myself that could be a 9.8 but I'm not sure it's worth submitting since there are so many graded examples out there.

With all the versions and printings, I'm not sure which one I have.

mm

752 posts

First print (thumbs u the green color on the print is how you tell. Each printing has a different color. I was thinking about collecting them all.

752 posts
Nice pick up.

I used to love my copy...

...until Brian Bolland forgot how to spell his own name :(

KillingJokea_zps35b45b84.jpg

(apologies for the poor scan)

Wow, that sucks!

46,443 posts

It is certainly one of the best Batman stories ever told,a must have for Bats collectors. :applause:

5,569 posts
I would have been bidding on that lot nice pick up

Thanks...along with "THE KILLING JOKE" there was also;

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT...#'s 1-2-9-11-12-15-42 &43

MILLER'S DARK KNIGHT...#'s 1-2-3

DEATH IN THE FAMILY the four issue volume

BATMAN 1989 ANNUAL

BATMAN "HOLY TERROR"

BATMAN first movie issue.

All for $25.00.

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

140 posts

love this book, story, art, all

this was one of the first books i bought multiples of as an "investment" off rack - on the heels of the first movie - i eventually sold the extras and read copies on ebay and saved just one for the PC.

i also have the kindle version which i enjoy flipping through on the iPad for a quick fix.

2,843 posts

With all the versions and printings, I'm not sure which one I have.

mm

Here is a list I did in another thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7819608#Post7819608

Just an update on the US and Foreign editions I have found. Bold are ones I have and any help on tracking down others would be appreciated. And if you know of any others that are not listed, let me know so I can add them.

Batman: The Killing Joke 1st (Green) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.50 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 2nd (Pink) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.50 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 3rd (Yellow) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.50 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 4th (Light Orange) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.50 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 5th (Dark Blue) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.50 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 6th (Dark Orange) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.50 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 7th (Light Yellow) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.50 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 8th (Light Blue) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.95 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 9th (Red) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $3.95 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 10th (Yellow) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $4.95 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 11th (Yellow) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / $4.95 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 12th (Yellow) Yellow Cufflinks / Yellow Smile / White Tie / $5.95 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 13th (Yellow) Lt. Yellow Cufflinks / Yellow Smile! / Green Tie / $5.95 / Old Logo

Batman: The Killing Joke 14th (Dark Green) Lt. Yellow Cufflinks / Yellow Smile! / Green Tie / $5.99 / New Logo / Packaged w/ Action Figures

Argentina Edition (2013) DC/ECC publisher Batman La Broma Asesina (White logo) Lt. Yellow Cufflinks / No Smile bubble / Green Tie / New DC Logo/ECC Logo - (5 9.8 in census)

Brazillian Edition Abril publisher Batman A Piada Mortal(1989) (Green) Yellow Cufflinks / White Sorria / Gray Tie / R$4.50 / Old DC Logo / Abril Logo

Dutch (NL) Edition (1989) (Pink)

Finland Edition (1989) No Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie

France Edition (2000) Delcourt publisher Batman Rire Et Mourir

France Edition J’ai Lu publisher Batman SOURIEZ!

German Edition - (Green) Panini publisher

German Edition (White & Yellow Logo) Carlsen publisher / Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / White Tie

German Edition (2008) (White Logo) Lt. Yellow Cufflinks / Yellow Lacheln, Bitte! / Green Tie / New DC Logo

Hungary Edition (1989) No Cufflinks / White Mosolyogni! / White Tie

Italy Edition (Yellow)

Italy Edition (Orange) Yellow Cufflinks / White Sorrid! / Gray Tie

Italy Edition (Green) Yellow Cufflinks / White Sorrid! / Gray Tie

Japan Edition (White Logo) Yellow Cufflinks / Yellow Smile! / Green Tie

Mexico Edition Editorial Vid publisher

Mexico Edition DC/Unlimited Batman La Broma Asesina in white border at bottom of cover

Peru Edition (2011) (White Logo) (Magazine size) Lt. Yellow Cufflinks / Yellow ¡Sonrie! / Green Tie

Polish Edition (1991)

Serbian Edition (2011) (White Logo) Magazine size?

Serbian Edition B&W Cover

Swedish Edition (1989) No Cufflinks / White Omelett / White Tie

Spain Edition Norma Editional publisher

Spain Edition Perfil publisher

Spain Edition Zinco publisher

U.K. Edition 1st (Titan - Green) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / £1.95 / Titan Logo

U.K. Edition 1st (Titan - Orange) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / £2.25 / Titan Logo

U.K. Edition 1st (Titan - Yellow) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / £2.50 / Titan Logo

U.K. Edition 2nd (Titan – Pink) Yellow Cufflinks / White Smile / Gray Tie / £1.95 / Titan Logo

U.K. Edition 3rd (according to CGC census - 1 in 6.5 / 1 in 7.5) - No other info at this time - This appears to be the U.K. Edition 1st (Titan - Orange). That is what the label on my recently submitted one says.

416 posts

just got a first print graded 9.8 on ebay for a great deal. i had to have it considering my girlfriend just bought me the statue a month ago for our anniversary.

2,843 posts

I posted this in the Killing Joke Question thread in Comics General. Thought I should re-post it here.

Here are the covers for the foreign editions for your viewing pleasure.

05c00b08-5ab4-4e55-9678-04c09cd28872_zpsc036edbc.jpg

France-Serbia_zpsb942486a.jpg

SouthAmerica_zps4ae4dd64.jpg

Spain_zps466e0a9e.jpg

Germany_zpsa933db55.jpg

Italy_zpsbf7ce5fb.jpg

Mexico_zps601e9126.jpg

Europe-Japan_zpseb9f540c.jpg

2,843 posts
Do any of the foreign editions have embossed lettering?

I do not have all of these, they are just the ones I found searching The ones that I have, that look like the US version are embossed.