• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE
2 2

191 posts in this topic

Noticed another slight variation on the 7th US Printing today. I have 4 copies of it and 2 have purple gloves and 2 have gray gloves.

The purple on the jacket is a bit washed out on the one with gray gloves, as is the brown on the hat and the red on the lips.

I checked a few other different printings, that I have dupes of, and did not notice on any of those.

I am guessing the the magenta ink may have started to run out during the print run.

BKG7-Gray_zps83ce469c.jpegBKG7-Purple_zps266038d6.jpeg

I was browsing around the CGC website and stumbled across a page that had The Killing Joke as the featured comic of the month for March 2018.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6468/

They even mentioned me in the article.  I'm FAMOUS!!!

CGC Comics Registry Champion: No joke – a set named “Kill” by “aszumilo” is the Clown Prince of this graphic novel, collecting 18 of the printings, including the Swedish variant.

This particular set has won Best in Set Type from 2012 to 2017. See this and other collections in the CGC Comics Registry.

11 hours ago, aszumilo said:

I was browsing around the CGC website and stumbled across a page that had The Killing Joke as the featured comic of the month for March 2018.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6468/

They even mentioned me in the article.  I'm FAMOUS!!!

wow that's pretty infamous! :whee: and nefariously AWESOME!!

Found a very odd variation of the 4th print of The Killing Joke.  Never seen this before.  The back cover has no price on it, in fact there is no price on it anywhere.  All the ones I see on E-Bay and the ones in my collection have the price in the upper right back corner and "Suggested for Mature Readers" in the upper left back corner.  Anyone ever seen this before?  Misprint that was corrected later in the print run?

Here is the back cover, with the price

KJ4priceBack.jpg.987bdddb107e1a42c83207517b179ec0.jpg

Here is a pic of the front and back without the price or the "suggested for mature readers"

KJ4nopriceBack.jpg.712f7489d787e8350579532957b4435b.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 7:19 PM, aszumilo said:

Found a very odd variation of the 4th print of The Killing Joke.  Never seen this before.  The back cover has no price on it, in fact there is no price on it anywhere.  All the ones I see on E-Bay and the ones in my collection have the price in the upper right back corner and "Suggested for Mature Readers" in the upper left back corner.  Anyone ever seen this before?  Misprint that was corrected later in the print run?

Here is the back cover, with the price

KJ4priceBack.jpg.987bdddb107e1a42c83207517b179ec0.jpg

Here is a pic of the front and back without the price or the "suggested for mature readers"

KJ4nopriceBack.jpg.712f7489d787e8350579532957b4435b.jpg

Does it say 4th printing in the indicia...? 

20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

Can you detect any sort of printing anomaly? Any difference in the book, or the place where the missing dress would go?

Book is identical in every way but the missing printing on the back cover.  I have compared it to every copy I have (all printings) and on E-Bay and this is the only one I have seen like this.

Huh. No UPC code on the inside covers? No other info on the front covers besides the standard info?

I can't think of a reason why that information would be missing otherwise. The 4th printing was made sometime in early 1989, so they would have had to go back to the negatives, but the negatives wouldn't have changed...and, of course, there doesn't seem to be any other anomalies like this.

19 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Huh. No UPC code on the inside covers? No other info on the front covers besides the standard info?

I can't think of a reason why that information would be missing otherwise. The 4th printing was made sometime in early 1989, so they would have had to go back to the negatives, but the negatives wouldn't have changed...and, of course, there doesn't seem to be any other anomalies like this.

Think I figured it out, maybe.  Have to do some checking on something. 

1 minute ago, aszumilo said:

Think I figured it out, maybe.  Have to do some checking on something. 

Excellent! Report back when you find something! (I'm guessing...just a guess, here...that it's possible it was included in a "toy" or something....which, admittedly, would be weird that it was the 4th print.)

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Excellent! Report back when you find something! (I'm guessing...just a guess, here...that it's possible it was included in a "toy" or something....which, admittedly, would be weird that it was the 4th print.)

Kind of what I am thinking as well.