• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE
2 2

191 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Might be Book of the Month Club edition.

Which is weird, because..."Book of the month"...? Killing Joke...? Really...? But, that's how "standard" BOMC books were printed: no cover price. 

Maybe it was included with Greatest Batman or Greatest Joker Stories..?

(shrug)

51T5gTX%252Bk2L._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_Q

latest?cb=20140716204031&f=1&nofb=1

599815.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Ah HA! Look what I found:

V-For-Vendetta-Dust-Jacket-Outside.jpg?s

V-For-Vendetta-Interior.jpg?ssl=1

There WAS no V hardcover printed in 1990 (by DC), and wouldn't be until 2005....and if you look under that sticker, guess what you find....?

Read this:

https://ebabble.net/book-of-the-month-club-v-for-vendetta/

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

It looks like you may have discovered a long forgotten Book of the Month Club edition Killing Joke. Congratulations! Now, is it just a 4th printing, or was it included in a package, or are there any others, or....?

VERY, VERY cool. It's not often that an undiscovered 80s artifact is uncovered, ESPECIALLY for one of the most popular books of the decade.

And look what I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-THE-KILLING-JOKE-NM-MT-9-8-FOURTH-PRINTING/232910014094?hash=item363a84c68e:g:QWwAAOSwxGNbh172

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Great, now they'll be coming out of the woodwork.  Might have to call CGC and see how they would handle this book.

Here's the one I got.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-THE-KILLING-JOKE-Fourth-Print-NM-1989-ALAN-MOORE-DC-COMICS-JOKER/183939393565?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It looks like you may have discovered a long forgotten Book of the Month Club edition Killing Joke. Congratulations! Now, is it just a 4th printing, or was it included in a package, or are there any others, or....?

VERY, VERY cool. It's not often that an undiscovered 80s artifact is uncovered, ESPECIALLY for one of the most popular books of the decade.

And look what I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-THE-KILLING-JOKE-NM-MT-9-8-FOURTH-PRINTING/232910014094?hash=item363a84c68e:g:QWwAAOSwxGNbh172

And I couldn't have figured it out without your input, so, thanks.

3 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Great, now they'll be coming out of the woodwork.  Might have to call CGC and see how they would handle this book.

Here's the one I got.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-THE-KILLING-JOKE-Fourth-Print-NM-1989-ALAN-MOORE-DC-COMICS-JOKER/183939393565?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nice! It will be great to have CGC identify these as the "Book of the month club" edition!

And...if you can't find anything else on them anywhere already published, you get credit as the discoverer! :)

I'm scanning to see if any other printings can be found, and the likeliest culprits are 3rd and 5th, but my gut says that they wouldn't have done this more than once, and it just so happened that when they did it was the same time the 4th was being done, so....4th it is!

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Just for fun, I shot BOMC an email asking what other comic book editions they did...if I get an answer, I'll follow up and see what they know. 

FUN!

I was thinking of doing the same thing.  Definitely interested in what they say.  Maybe time for a Book of the Month Club registry set to be recognized by CGC, if there are enough other books out there

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm scanning to see if any other printings can be found, and the likeliest culprits are 3rd and 5th, but my gut says that they wouldn't have done this more than once, and it just so happened that when they did it was the same time the 4th was being done, so....4th it is!

I searched every listing I could find, on E-Bay, last night and did not see any others.  Then again, I missed the one you posted, so could be others possibly.

By the way...what are your favorite logo colors? I love the classic green, BUT...5th and 8th are my faves, and that deep red of the 9th.

LOVE those blues!

I hate the "neon orange" of the 6th, and think it's the ugliest of all. The yellows (3rd, 7th, 10-13th) aren't bad, but I'm not a fan of the pink 2nd, either.