• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE
2 2

191 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Besides...you have the #1 registry set, and have had it for years, so if anyone deserves credit for discovering an unknown version, it's you. 

:cloud9:

Maybe CGC will make me famous again and write about it in their book of the month.

4 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Mine is the 9th printing as well.  The blues are close behind it though.  I wish they would not have used yellow so much.  6 printings are yellow.  They could have thrown in purple, white, gray, or whatever.

Yeah, I think purple would have worked REALLY well, if it wasn't too dark. I agree, they used yellow way too much. It made it reallllly hard in the old days trying to find the 10th-13th.

The other thing I wish they did was keep the embossing for the whole program.

There are some foreign versions that are embossed, but, most are not.  I agree, the embossing made it stand out a bit.  There is also a Black Label version that was supposed to come out in September, but, apparently got pushed back while DC does some reorganization.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you can believe it, I actually owned one of the 10s around...2005 or so? Shoulda kept it. Sigh.

My 1st print, I was sure would be a 10.  It was either my first or second submission, so, maybe it really is only a 9.8.

Killing Joke is special, because it was one of the first comics in history, and certainly the first DC book, to feature alterations to the cover dress on subsequent printings. As I'm sure you know, the Dark Knight and Green Arrow LBHs don't have anything obvious identifying them as later printings. Changing the title logo color was a pretty new idea at the time. It would be something DC would use to great effect in subsequent years,

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It doesn't hurt that it's the greatest Joker story of all time, and probably the top 3 Batman stories, after Dark Knight and Year One....but I'm biased. :shy:

It is my favorite Batman story, followed by Dark Knight and Year One.  Hush is up there as well.

56 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It looks like you may have discovered a long forgotten Book of the Month Club edition Killing Joke. Congratulations! Now, is it just a 4th printing, or was it included in a package, or are there any others, or....?

VERY, VERY cool. It's not often that an undiscovered 80s artifact is uncovered, ESPECIALLY for one of the most popular books of the decade.

And look what I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-THE-KILLING-JOKE-NM-MT-9-8-FOURTH-PRINTING/232910014094?hash=item363a84c68e:g:QWwAAOSwxGNbh172

Looking at this book, there is no way it is a 9.8.  More likely a 6.5.  CGC hammers this book hard and this book looks hammered.

It's so brilliant in its simple premise: "One bad day is all that separates you from me. Just one bad day."

And Batman (and Gordon and Barbara) prove that it's not circumstances, but character that determines who and what a person really is, and don't let ol' Joker get away with justifying his evil, that he is evil because he chooses to be, and not because he had just had "one bad day."

It's breathtaking in execution.

Love it love it LOVE it.

Found another one I have not seen before.  6th print Newsstand with UPC on the front cover.  Unfortunately the seller does not have a picture of the back cover.

Mycomicshop also has one, 6th print as well.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Killing-Joke-1-REP-CGC-9-4-1988-2058668022/312801274311?hash=item48d468a9c7:g:vG8AAOSwEy1doZmz:sc:USPSPriority!89130!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Killing-Joke-CGC-9-8-Sixth-Printing-Rare-Newsstand-UPC-Barcode/223694048593?hash=item3415344d51:g:o0AAAOSwFiNdmN~k

image.png.bcb199dff1d2f9978ee06f5fc1fbd131.png

Edited by aszumilo

Found another that does have a scan of the back cover.  The regular 6th prints do not have a UPC bar code at all.

High grade?  Not even close,  VF-NM?  Still not close.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Killing-Joke-High-Grade-6th-Print-1988-KEY-JOKER-BATMAN-VF-NM/323774270071?hash=item4b62734a77:g:aIYAAOSwfXBZqdxw

image.png.3e2ca2f190d965211dcae2ec43a49e0e.png

Edited by aszumilo