BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE

93 posts in this topic

2,853 posts
4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I have a few 6th print newsstands. It appears it's the only printing that had a newsstand version.

Got any 9.8 candidates you would be looking to part with?

56,515 posts
2 hours ago, aszumilo said:

Got any 9.8 candidates you would be looking to part with?

Probably not, but I can certainly look. No promises. They're buried. :)

2,853 posts

Looks like there might be a 13th print Newsstand as well.  UPC for the regular Direct Edition is 7 61941 20212 00124 and this one has a UPC of 9 780930 289454 50595

image.png.499799e5f7718a368444c9d065ba1a20.png

100 posts
On 10/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, aszumilo said:

That is very interesting.  Wonder how many other books were offered by Book of the Month Club.  We know of 2 now.

I have the V BOMC, and the first Watchmen hardcover was also a BOMC (have that one, too.) I believe it predates the Graphitti slipcased HC.  BTW, my copy of V doesn't have the sticker covering up the BOMC info,

This is the first time I've seen The Killing Joke in a book club edition. Strange that it's not a hardcover as well. I believe the book club for TPB editions was the Quality Paperback Book Club.

2,853 posts
56 minutes ago, wpbooks01 said:

I have the V BOMC, and the first Watchmen hardcover was also a BOMC (have that one, too.) I believe it predates the Graphitti slipcased HC.  BTW, my copy of V doesn't have the sticker covering up the BOMC info,

This is the first time I've seen The Killing Joke in a book club edition. Strange that it's not a hardcover as well. I believe the book club for TPB editions was the Quality Paperback Book Club.

I had never seen it before.  Not sure about the Quality Paperback Book Club, never heard of them, but anything is possible.

2,853 posts
On 10/13/2019 at 11:27 PM, aszumilo said:

Found another one I have not seen before.  6th print Newsstand with UPC on the front cover.  Unfortunately the seller does not have a picture of the back cover.

Mycomicshop also has one, 6th print as well.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Killing-Joke-1-REP-CGC-9-4-1988-2058668022/312801274311?hash=item48d468a9c7:g:vG8AAOSwEy1doZmz:sc:USPSPriority!89130!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Killing-Joke-CGC-9-8-Sixth-Printing-Rare-Newsstand-UPC-Barcode/223694048593?hash=item3415344d51:g:o0AAAOSwFiNdmN~k

image.png.bcb199dff1d2f9978ee06f5fc1fbd131.png

This one is mine, now.  ALL MINE!!!!

Need to see if I can get it reholdered with the Newsstand notation and added to the registry.

On the BOMC 4th print, they told me to enclose a note with the submission, Attention Graders, and explain the variation to them.  Hopefully that will work and also work for the 6th and 13th Newstand ones as well.

Edited by aszumilo

2,853 posts
On 10/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Just for fun, I shot BOMC an email asking what other comic book editions they did...if I get an answer, I'll follow up and see what they know. 

FUN!

Have you heard back from them yet?

Edited by aszumilo

56,515 posts
6 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Have you heard back from them yet?

Nothing. :(

2,853 posts

Damn.  Was hoping they would get back to one of us.

56,515 posts
On 11/2/2019 at 10:18 PM, aszumilo said:

This one is mine, now.  ALL MINE!!!!

Need to see if I can get it reholdered with the Newsstand notation and added to the registry.

On the BOMC 4th print, they told me to enclose a note with the submission, Attention Graders, and explain the variation to them.  Hopefully that will work and also work for the 6th and 13th Newstand ones as well.

I found one of my 6th print newsstands...an already slabbed 9.2. Forgot I had it. :D

2,853 posts

I picked up a 9.8.  Probably paid more than I should have, but, OCD and all.

See a couple posts above for it.

Edited by aszumilo

56,515 posts
11 hours ago, aszumilo said:

I picked up a 9.8.  Probably paid more than I should have, but, OCD and all.

See a couple posts above for it.

Yup, saw it. Responded to your post about it. Very, very nice. If that book actually saw "newsstand distribution" (I'm guessing B&N, Waldenbooks, Borders, etc), it's amazing that any survived in 9.8 condition. Book stores were almost as bad as newsstands when it came to mangling books. 

1,113 posts

Not sure how many people realize that when Killing Joke was published in France in USA Magazine, it was released in installments and they commissioned a new painted Joker cover by Bolland and Liberatore for issue #36 (the installment in which Barbara Gordon gets shot).  Although Liberatore ended up changing Bolland's layout slightly, the face is pure vintage Bolland Joker.  For those that have never seen it... here you go!  Published with a September 1988 cover date.  I'm not sure this painted cover was ever published anywhere else.  

USA_Magazine36.jpg

Edited by comiconxion