• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

526 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I don't think so. Not even most valuable comic book (though it is near the top) possibly most valuable slabbed book.

Most expensive books ever sold are in the 20-30 million dollar range.

I didnt make myself clear:  most expensive Comic-book.

Any of you old farts got any insight as to the value of this book?

I'm not looking for raw data (I have a GPA subscription thank you very much)

I'm looking for stories & experiences. What were prices like in 1970? Ever hold a raw copy in your hands? Ever lay next to one in a bed?

21 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

I'm looking for stories & experiences. What were prices like in 1970? Ever hold a raw copy in your hands? Ever lay next to one in a bed?

21 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

GPA wouldn't help you too much on this book.  If it does go to auction, I'd be shocked if it went for under 4M.  It might go for much more, depending on how many bidders have to have it.  I've seen a lower grade copy at a small show in the late 70's and held it in my hands. 

8 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

20K would have bought any book in the late 70s. Just ask John Snyder.

Any idea if Snyder is still in the hobby after leaving Diamond Int'l Galleries?  hm

I always got the impression that John was much more passionate about the other collectibles and was really more of a power broker for comics after he let all of his Church books go.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, scooter99 said:

GPA wouldn't help you too much on this book.  If it does go to auction, I'd be shocked if it went for under 4M.  It might go for much more, depending on how many bidders have to have it.  I've seen a lower grade copy at a small show in the late 70's and held it in my hands. 

I listed it as the 3rd most valuable comic book and the most valuable slabbed book.

I valued it at 4,000,000 last year. 

15095313686_a0f12ae686_b.jpg

Ironically, I think that image is of the 8.0 Mastro copy.  They just photoshopped it to cut off the left edge, and filled in some of the color imperfections.  Look at the picture of the 8.0 right side edge as compared to the ad image.

It would be funny if it was a "Freudian slip" to use the 8.0 Mastro image for the 9.2 ad image.  

Edited by sfcityduck

9 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I saw that CGC display this weekend.  Didn't strike me as a picture of a real comic. 

Me too, thought it was a publicity banner.  Sorta dwarfed the CBCS booth next to it.  

9 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

15095313686_a0f12ae686_b.jpg

Ironically, I think that image is of the 8.0 Mastro copy.  They just photoshopped it to cut off the left edge, and filled in some of the color imperfections.  Look at the picture of the 8.0 right side edge as compared to the ad image.

It would be funny if it was a "Freudian slip" to use the 8.0 Mastro image for the 9.2 ad image.  

Might CGC be inadvertently trolling me with my own scan?

4 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Might CGC be inadvertently trolling me with my own scan?

Personally, I'm not going to be shocked when it turns out that the 8.0 Mastro was upgraded to 9.2 back in 2014.  Wasn't the Action 1 upgraded about the same time?

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

It would be even funnier if the 8.0 Mastro copy turns out to be the exact same copy as the mysterious 9.2 graded copy.  :devil: 

Unfortunately, nothing would surprise me in today's slabbed marketplace.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I've never seen that image of the Mastro copy, and boy does it look better than 8.0.

here's a larger version of the scan.

I got the grader's notes. I believe it was graded harshly at the time and has easily improvable issues ("finger bends" on the back cover being the most obvious)

7 hours ago, rob_react said:

Rob.  You got me on this till I read your page. I thought what!!! This is the most valuable book what's he talking a.....:makepoint: After reading your page my old friend Dave has the Action 1 ungraded and he bought his Tec 27 the same week I got my copy. We spoke on the phone and he said his was VF/NM ungraded  so yes you are right most valuable graded book.:tink:Glad your on top of this stuff:whee:

Edited by woowoo