• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic-Con Still a 3 day con, Sept. 25-27, 2015

398 posts in this topic

Murph's Comics had a good weekend at the show for the 2nd consecutive year. Sales were consistent. My friend set up with me and 1Cool joined us and put up a few books. Met many boardies and made some new friends. I was surprised to hear they chose Labor Day weekend for next year which means I will have to take a hiatus. I remember hearing all the groans when Megacon moved their date to Memorial Day. Hopefully Baltimore will not see any downturn.

It makes it the same weekend as Dragon Con, Toronto Fan Expo and I think also next years Salt Lake. A vendor thinks it might be because next year is an election year, and while that doesn't affect Toronto, it may affect the available weekends for spaces for the cons.

I more worry about artists making a decision between doing Baltimore and doing Toronto.

This year was the unusual one, Baltimore usually is the first weekend of September.

For the record....

My comments were not ignorant and I stand behind everything that I said.

If I feel a dealer(s) prices common, run silver age books too high, I will say so.I have been in this hobby, buying & selling, as a part time dealer for 20 years.That said, I know the market.Just because I have only been posting on this board for less than a year does not make me a "noob".

Then again, I'm just a dumb construction worker who sells comics on the side.So, what do I know? lol

I will say that I do not make personal attacks.It is a shame that certain members cannot accept feedback for what it is----feedback.

My feedback was simply that; feedback.

I posted the feedback to illustrate my point, as already stated, that a big reason why shows are on a downward slide is that a lot of dealers price collectors out of the market.If I were attending Baltimore (Or Wizard Philly or ANY other show) as a collector.......why would I bother trying to negotiate a "discount" from a dealer who prices his books at double fair market value, to begin with?

The answer is self evident.It's a resounding "no".

Part time dealer here, but I went as a collector and found prices to be competitive. Bought stacks of DC war from a few guys, and a couple of high grade nick fury's from Greg Reece. So we had drastically different experiences. And, I saw lots of happy, smiling faces on vendors and attendees. When you view this hobby only as debits and credits, you miss the fun and you become jaded and joyless.

Part time dealer here, but I went as a collector and found prices to be competitive. Bought stacks of DC war from a few guys, and a couple of high grade nick fury's from Greg Reece. So we had drastically different experiences. And, I saw lots of happy, smiling faces on vendors and attendees. When you view this hobby only as debits and credits, you miss the fun and you become jaded and joyless.

Good feedback :)

I still enjoy the hobby, very much so.

I am speaking from an analytical perspective on the long term health of the hobby, and the trajectory that the convention scene is hurdling along towards.

FTR, I went to Baltimore to sub a bunch of books to CGC.

I'm sure that I could have bought some books, at fair prices, if I wanted to.I do not disagree with you, at all, on that point specifically.

For the record....

If I feel a dealer(s) prices common, run silver age books too high, I will say so.I have been in this hobby, buying & selling, as a part time dealer for 20 years.That said, I know the market.Just because I have only been posting on this board for less than a year does not make me a "noob".

Then again, I'm just a dumb construction worker who sells comics on the side.So, what do I know? lol

I will say that I do not make personal attacks.It is a shame that certain members cannot accept feedback for what it is----feedback.

I posted the feedback to illustrate my point, as already stated, that a big reason why shows are on a downward slide is that a lot of dealers price collectors out of the market.If I were attending Baltimore (Or Wizard Philly or ANY other show) as a collector.......why would I bother trying to negotiate a "discount" from a dealer who prices his books at double fair market value, to begin with?

Yeah, but there were plenty of dealers who didn't price to the moon, and in fact, some of my best scores were books in the sub $100 range.

While I don't agree with all of your criticisms, especially that of Bedrock, I concur that the face of the "major" conventions has shifted, or rather, has continued a long standing shift of smaller and mid size dealers being pushed out by rising booth prices and traveling expenses. If you were an out of town small time dealer that needed to rent a van, get a booth, and stay at a downtown hotel for four nights, it's easily a $2,500+ layout before you sell a single item. And if you priced things attractively to begin with, (as in, other dealers think you are worth buying from), did you really need to set up at a major convention to sell your material? Probably not.

All that being said, Baltimore 2015 was my 2nd biggest buying show ever, behind only Chicago a month ago, and trust me, I wasn't paying "retail" on anything, even slabs. And like you, I've been doing this part time for the last 23 years, so a lot of the relationships I've cultivated have turned into decent discounts with many dealers. So yeah, as a collector, it's easy to see the big prices and take a step back, but as a dealer, I know most of those prices are not set in stone.

For the record....

Yeah, but there were plenty of dealers who didn't price to the moon, and in fact, some of my best scores were books in the sub $100 range.

While I don't agree with all of your criticisms, especially that of Bedrock, I concur that the face of the "major" conventions has shifted, or rather, has continued a long standing shift of smaller and mid size dealers being pushed out by rising booth prices and traveling expenses. If you were an out of town small time dealer that needed to rent a van, get a booth, and stay at a downtown hotel for four nights, it's easily a $2,500+ layout before you sell a single item. And if you priced things attractively to begin with, (as in, other dealers think you are worth buying from), did you really need to set up at a major convention to sell your material? Probably not.

All that being said, Baltimore 2015 was my 2nd biggest buying show ever, behind only Chicago a month ago, and trust me, I wasn't paying "retail" on anything, even slabs. And like you, I've been doing this part time for the last 23 years, so a lot of the relationships I've cultivated have turned into decent discounts with many dealers. So yeah, as a collector, it's easy to see the big prices and take a step back, but as a dealer, I know most of those prices are not set in stone.

The bigger the check...the bigger the discount.

For the record....

The bigger the check...the bigger the discount.

Writing checks is so 1971...what kind of dinosaur uses those anymore?

For the record....

If you knew how to buy, this show was great for buying. i was told it was going to be a good buying show so. I wouldnt have done the show, but it was definately a show to be at to buy. next year ill bring more cash.

For the record....

I'll go to Baltimore next year to buy on Thursday, sub a stack of books again for onsite grading before the show opens...drive home and come back the next day to pick up the books and hit up any dealers I missed the day before, on Friday morning til before the show opens.

I will do other shows...Boston,Ct (Mohegan Sun) and Eternal Con,Winter Con, Carbo's Big Apple, Albany and the SJ show.All of which I know I will make at the very least 5 times my expenses.I will be doing Wizard Philly next year, but I'll be splitting a booth with a friend, and as I live all of 15 minutes from the show, overhead will be just about a non-issue.

That all is besides the point, I was not crying about being a small dealer being pushed out of the pond.I am fine with my positon.

My issue was that the dealers who sticker up their run/common books, based on the fact they carry big time silver/gold books aplenty are not making comic shows enticing for the average collector who doesn't want to spend 200% graded Overstreet for run silver.

I should have kept Bedrock's name out of the post altogether, as if no board names are thrown around, it is easier to engage in intelligent debate on where the market is headed.

O yeah....besides going there and subbing most of a sort box of books to CGC (boo yah)...as I got there on Saturday around 11am, to late to really score on books like Star Wars #1 and the like......... I spent all of $21, split between 4 dealers.

hah.

Wonder Woman #105 coverless/complete for $3 (I think it is a $75-$100 BIN sale)

Marvel Premiere #38 (1st weird world in comics) NM with light NCB tics....I can press it to a 9.8.....it cost me all of 2 bucks.

3 other books...2 pre code horrors for $3 and $5 , not money books but what the hell.

A What If 49...nota 9.8 or 9.6 but it was barely 10 bucks.