• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dave mazzucchelli & Batman year one art

23 posts in this topic

Whatever happened dave mazzucchelli in comics, he wa s such a great artist, Born again and year one were high profile projects than he vanished.

I've been wondering, has any of the original art for the series ever hit the open market.

What do you think pages from this series would go for? Even though born again is my favorite dave mazzucchelli project I guess year one would be much more coveted by most collectors.

Whatever happened dave mazzucchelli in comics, he wa s such a great artist, Born again and year one were high profile projects than he vanished.

I've been wondering, has any of the original art for the series ever hit the open market.

What do you think pages from this series would go for? Even though born again is my favorite dave mazzucchelli project I guess year one would be much more coveted by most collectors.

Huge demand+no supply=big bucks.

Mazzucchelli kept all the Year One art, so none has hit the market (except for a single full figure Batman that was used as a house ad I believe).

Scott

Mazzucchelli kept all the Year One art, so none has hit the market (except for a single full figure Batman that was used as a house ad I believe).

Scott

Thanks Scott. Dave was a genius holding onto that art!

I was re-reading DDBA &Batman year one today and man, they are amazing comics.

Scott

Feels like we talked about this not that long ago...anyway, the cover to BATMAN #405 was sold via private auction by Spencer on behalf of Mazz back in 2005/2006. A large amount at that time...of course, seems like a pittance now.

yZChWGr3klbsu7mw8hutcPBUo1_500.jpg

Scott

Feels like we talked about this not that long ago...anyway, the cover to BATMAN #405 was sold via private auction by Spencer on behalf of Mazz back in 2005/2006. A large amount at that time...of course, seems like a pittance now.

yZChWGr3klbsu7mw8hutcPBUo1_500.jpg

I knew that! :whistle:

Ok, maybe I knew that and forgot I knew that.

Or maybe I just forgot that. :frustrated:

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Scott

Thanks for the info Felix. Having the only piece of art from the series out there would definitely be a coup.

As time goes on David's artwork becomes more and more impressive to me.

Born again and year one were the books that really got me into comics as a kid (then the killing joke made me a fan forever)

If you're interested in his art you should pick up his graphic novel Asterios Polyp. It has zero to do with superheroes, but it's an incredibly exploration of form in the service of telling a story. It's really smart and adult and deep.

If you're interested in his art you should pick up his graphic novel Asterios Polyp. It has zero to do with superheroes, but it's an incredibly exploration of form in the service of telling a story. It's really smart and adult and deep.

This. David never really left comics. He's just doing different stuff.

Here we go...the last discussion I can recall where this all came up:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7286047

Click the following page for a post featuring Spencer's original announcement from 2005 about the auction.

As an off-shoot of the Miller/Janson DD discussion, I wouldn't be surprised to see YEAR ONE art surpass DD levels (with a few exceptions) at auction. Further supporting the idea that it's more about Miller's creative vision than his drawing alone. Also, the pent-up demand for Y1 is immense. Y1's stature has steadily increased over the years, where it's now routinely mentioned in the same breath as DKR. Much like how V FOR VENDETTA has emerged from WATCHMEN's shadow.

Would LOVE it if Mazz released more ( :wishluck:), but if not, hope there will at least be an Artist's Edition of some kind.

+1.

Would be interesting to see this go for sale. It's one of the revolving door candidates for my favorite comic story (along with WM, DK, Born Again and maybe a couple others)

One issue that doesn't get factored in when people talk about OA from these two series is the lack of character-in-costume pages.

The Born Again pages that are on the market are from the two issues that actually have DD running around fighting in costume. The other issues, not so much. If they all got sold, would bidders really go crazy over a page with Matt Murdock talking to a nun? Foggie Nelson on a date with Glori? Memorable? YES! Am I paying thousands of dollars for it? NO!

Batman in Y1 isn't quite as scarce, but there is no Batman in issue one, and there is maybe a page or two in issue four. That series is a lot of Jim Gordon. (Issues two and three are loaded with Batman though).

I think there'd be a huge gap in values of pages from both stories if all the artwork were made available.

This thread got me thinking about the Absolute Editions that DC put out. I always thought they were great editions even if they weren't the AE that IDW put out. Last thing I heard was Mazzuchelli was very upset over the Year One Deluxe edition they put out a few years ago and that may have soured him to do anything more with DC like an Absolute version. Or is there something in the works? As much as I do love the work in this book, I have to finish paying off a home before I can even attempt to secure an original page if Mazzuchelli decides he wants to part with them finally.

Would be interesting to see this go for sale. It's one of the revolving door candidates for my favorite comic story (along with WM, DK, Born Again and maybe a couple others)

One issue that doesn't get factored in when people talk about OA from these two series is the lack of character-in-costume pages.

The Born Again pages that are on the market are from the two issues that actually have DD running around fighting in costume. The other issues, not so much. If they all got sold, would bidders really go crazy over a page with Matt Murdock talking to a nun? Foggie Nelson on a date with Glori? Memorable? YES! Am I paying thousands of dollars for it? NO!

Batman in Y1 isn't quite as scarce, but there is no Batman in issue one, and there is maybe a page or two in issue four. That series is a lot of Jim Gordon. (Issues two and three are loaded with Batman though).

I think there'd be a huge gap in values of pages from both stories if all the artwork were made available.

I think born again has better covers. 232 would be the mazz cover for me.

Having read batman year on in tpb form only I always thought the title pages were the cover art. I'd suppose the first and final pages of issue 4 would fetch the most intrest

The first and final pages of batman year one issue 4

This. David never really left comics. He's just doing different stuff.

His output of published work is minimal though over the years since though.

I have always felt like the DD costume pages from #232-#233 are, far and away, the least interesting part of Born Again, which is partly why I've never aggressively pursued one despite that storyline being one of my all-time favorites. With all the Miller DD talk we've had on these Boards of late, I re-read the Born Again TPB over the weekend and, while #232-#233 are better than I had remembered from my last reading (I had previously thought the climax of the story was a huge letdown), the best, most memorable parts of the story are still #227-#231 for me by an overwhelming margin.

Issue #227 is one of my top 10 favorite all-time single issues. Of course, that issue features very little of DD in costume, but every page is a masterclass masterpiece - I'd definitely pay up for pages from that issue as well as a number of memorable non-costume moments from #228-#231. 2c

I agree with Gene here. 227-231 contains my favorite storytelling from the run. IMO the last two books (while still having some wonderful sequences) don't hit the consistent storytelling highs of the other 5 books.

I've posted this page numerous times but it's my overwhelmingly favorite from the storyline. No Daredevil. No Kingpin. Not even any Matt Murdock, but so good:

dd230p10.jpg