• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics or Alibaba?
1 1

84 posts in this topic

and think it's ok by you and should be ok by others.

No, I said it's OK by me and I don't care what certain others think because my opinion of them and their ethics is pretty much mutual.

You have two eBay accounts because you need to keep secrets from your customers? I don't keep secrets from mine.

You would knowingly remove a valuable collectible from someone's possession through purposeful omission of information for the purpose of greed and profit? Not me.

You would hire someone to create an image of intellectual property neither you or him own? Sounds a lot like selling and/or buying a bootleg watch, doesn't it?

Like I said, we all draw the line somewhere else. If I've crossed yours, then don't do business with me (shrug)

Edited by dupont2005

Alibaba is the world's biggest IPO, and looks like it will open around $90/share.

As an investment, would you rather have 100 shares of Alibaba or,say, a lower grade Amazing Fantasy 15?

I take Disney stock long-term over them. Disney has been very good to me! :cloud9:

+1

I'm at +168% return on my Disney stock. That plus the dividend.

I love trading stock. But I only go for long term investment. Always look at dividend. Stocks with no dividend is a no go for me. (Of course look at other stuff too)

Just bought some SEAS stock. The massive drop is a dream for long term investment. Dividend over 4% and the stock will adjust upwards in a couple of months. (I could be wrong, but that's the risk. Even if I think minimum risk on this one.)

With Disney owning Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and ESPN the future looks good. (thumbs u

What is the name of the stock that Disney owns? I prefer this one over Alibaba.

DIS

Reasons to buy DIS.

On 2014-09-19 at 7:18 PM, Arkadin said:

So, 110 shares of Alibaba would be about a $10,000 investment. That is, if you pulled the trigger right now.

On the other hand, there's a 3.0 Amazing Fantasy 15 on Metropolis at $10,000 (that seems high since one sold on Comiclink last month for $9100, but still, it's there for the taking right now).

All it takes to buy either is a mouse click - but which would be smarter? Short term, I have to think the Alibaba would be a better investment. Long-term, who knows? hm

edit: And yes, any single comic costing $10,000 would serve the same purpose for this discussion. I just chose AF 15 since most think of it as a "blue chip" comic investment.

Update, some three years on

Those 110 shares of Alibaba would now be worth just over $20,000 (doubling your initial investment).

And there's still a 3.0 Amazing Fantasy 15 on Metro's site, now priced at $14,500.

hm

3 hours ago, Arkadin said:

Those 110 shares of Alibaba would now be worth just over $20,000 (doubling your initial investment).

Takes a big risk. I'd rather have the sure thing. Might not appreciate as fast but also less risk of it crashing quickly. AF15 > Suoerman 1. Only thing Suoerman has going for it is age

1 minute ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

Takes a big risk. I'd rather have the sure thing. Might not appreciate as fast but also less risk of it crashing quickly. AF15 > Suoerman 1. Only thing Suoerman has going for it is age

O, and don't forget the P, never forget the P. It isn't worth investing if there is no P.

5 hours ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

AF15 all day. Such a safe bet. Stocks you might get lucky. But you also might lose everything.

I would say Incredible Hulk#181,NM#98 and AF#15 all real good safe bets. They are better than putting money in a banks savings account.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Give this article a read.  It puts into perspective how staggering these numbers are ($25 billion in 1 day).  Also compares it to Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Again, this just happened this week!  This wasn't last year or 6 months ago:whatthe:.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/helenwang/2017/11/12/alibabas-singles-day-by-the-numbers-a-record-25-billion-haul/#63d883e1db15

On 9/19/2014 at 11:45 AM, Arkadin said:

Alibaba is the world's biggest IPO, and looks like it will open around $90/share.

As an investment, would you rather have 100 shares of Alibaba or,say, a lower grade Amazing Fantasy 15?

Thanks for bumping this.  I wish I kept my shares in Alibaba now.  What a hot stock. 

you'd have done even better if you bought bitcoin a year or two ago. up 1000% YTD and way more over two or three years. but it's not as fun as comics. neither is the stock market. although it's fun when you make some money, so you can buy more comics! 

13 hours ago, Arkadin said:

And there's still a 3.0 Amazing Fantasy 15 on Metro's site, now priced at $14,500.

hm

The 3.0 has a married wrap, though.

9 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

The 3.0 has a married wrap, though.

Good point, I didn't notice that. 

I looked around and found a thread that stated that latest GPA on a 3.0 was $18,000+. So it looks like the Alibaba is still ahead, but not by much!

On 11/18/2017 at 8:32 AM, TheFifthHorseman said:

I never understand posts like this.

NOTHING is without risk. Nothing is a sure thing. Real estate was a no lose investment? People lost their shirts and lives over the crash in 2008.

------------------------------------------

Alibaba is one of the largest financial viable companies in the world. Not in the US. In the world. Read this quote from 2014 when this thread was last visited:

• Yahoo could make anywhere from $8.3 to $9.5 billion from the IPO, and its remaining stake will be worth another $26 billion. In 2013, two of Alibaba's websites handled $240 billion in sales. That's double the size of Amazon, triple the size of eBay, and one-third more than the two competitor companies combined

How about this quote from Sept 2017?

• Amazon has had a good year, but Alibaba has had an even better one — and it's now within striking distance of surpassing Amazon as the world's biggest e-commerce company by market cap.
  • Amazon is up 30 percent this year while Alibaba's stock has nearly doubled as both companies race to a $500 billion in value.
  • Bulls have reason to love both. They dominate e-commerce in their respective markets (Amazon in the U.S. and Alibaba in China) and both are expanding into new businesses such as groceries, original content and cloud.

IMO comparing Alibaba stock to Amazing Fantasy #15 is like comparing a bicycle company to an automotive company.  You might make better money on the small bet but the larger company has way more capital to stay afloat in rough waters.

--------------------------------------------

Comics have gone up and down. You youngin's forget about big books going up and down over the decades and only remember the recent run up since the low interest Fed policies after the economic crash of 2008.

The only thing Superman #1 has going for it is age? lol

It's the 1st comic book devoted to the greatest hero of all time and it's rarer than hens teeth unrestored. There are not enough copies to meet demand.

I sold a 4.0 last year for more than what an AF #15 9.0 was worth at the time.