• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

So there aren't actually any Suicide Squad fans? This is all about Harley Quinn? lol

I'm more interested in Suicide Squad than Harley... (shrug)

So explain to me what's appealing about the Suicide Squad because right now I have no point of reference.

Ostrander wrote an excellent run on the team in the 80's. You basically get to root for the bad guys as extreme anti-heroes.

OK, now that I can understand. (thumbs u

plus it could be a way WB/DC expand the movie universe faster and giving it characters history with out going into the origin of the villains.

I know that earlier talks were related to accomplishing a DCCU parallel to GOTG: (Non-Mainstream antiheroes and underdogs you could root for).

SS was also an imagined stepping stone to bring some rather less well-known heroes to the forefront, especially underrepresented genders and ethnicity (hence Vixen). Whereas she MAY still be in the movie, that soup has proverbially cooled with DC/CW working to put her directly into her own animated show and coupling her with the ARROW/FLASH/LEGENDS properties.

Lastly, there was a need to incorporate the Joker into the upcoming Batman storylines as a definitive past presence with much inferred history. Harley is a natural seque to Joker and she's part of the SS.

So SS has become a vehicle for numerous agendas relating to WB/DC's roadmap: root for the baddies & make them relatable, incorporate diverse characters together and tie them to the big heroes/villains so that everything has increased depth and congruence.

As far as the horrible cosplay looking costumes and the general dislike of the scenes displayed so far....I can only imagine that there's TOO MUCH riding on the success of the multi-billion dollar DCCU franchise to let it suck.

I'd have to imagine that if characters are going to be utilized in numerous films, they'd have to be somewhat consistent in appearance and affect. They aren't going to let Joker be some strange metrosexual perversion for SS and make him the old school Joker for BvS. The DC/WB higher ups clearly have input in how these characters are portrayed, and would probably object to things that would otherwise compromise the integrity of their product. Also, that scene with Batman on top of the car....without a cape.....I betcha they're going to add a huge flowing cape post production....and things will look stellar.

Same goes for Joker and Harley, Croc and everyone else.

What we forget in the internet age where everyone walks around with a phone/video camera in their pocket....is that NOBODY ever had an opportunity previously to critique, analyze or otherwise dissect any of these movies prior to this era. Now we see unfinished, unpolished and otherwise unauthorized video and pictures....and derive a conclusion about the finished product. I've gotta believe that folks would have reacted the same given the same technology and access 25+ years ago. Movie sets look fake, and costumes look cheezy when put under a microscope. It's the magic of the movies that makes it all look polished in the end.

I don't have much interest in this movie but my hometown... :cloud9:

Id watch it just to see how well they hide it is Toronto

[font:Book Antiqua]"Midway City"[/font] :gossip:

[font:Book Antiqua]I was passing by one of the shooting scenes in downtown

they replace all the original banners with the "Midway City" Banners

film festival, local sport team games and something else...[/font]

I don't have much interest in this movie but my hometown... :cloud9:

Id watch it just to see how well they hide it is Toronto

[font:Book Antiqua]"Midway City"[/font] :gossip:

[font:Book Antiqua]I was passing by one of the shooting scenes in downtown

they replace all the original banners with the "Midway City" Banners

film festival, local sport team games and something else...[/font]

They always miss something

This Drama Called Eleni and in a scene that takes place in a Czechoslovakian prison.

but in the Background you see a TTC Streetcar go by.

Plus Toronto People will know it is Toronto

Movie sets look fake, and costumes look cheezy when put under a microscope. It's the magic of the movies that makes it all look polished in the end.

In this case I don't buy the "costume" comment. That one group shot was an official photo of the cast and everything looked like -on-a-stick except for Harley's face & hair.

I can only imagine that there's TOO MUCH riding on the success of the multi-billion dollar DCCU franchise to let it suck.

DC hasn't demonstrated that they even KNOW when a film doesn't suck. Marvel movies had this exact same problem back when the closest thing they had to a creative head was Avi Arad, and that guy had no idea when something would suck and when it wouldn't. The only really good thing they've done in the last twenty years is hire Christopher Nolan and trust him to do well, and luckily for them, he did. There was no guiding hand of Kevin Feige there, just them getting out of the way and being lucky enough to have Nolan knock it out of the park. Hopefully they'll figure out how to create movies that don't suck in the near future, but when that will be is hard to say.

Does DC even have an equivalent to Feige? Is there one guy who runs their movie division, and if so, is he comic-savvy like Feige is? The closest I'm aware of is Geoff Johns, but he's been in a position of some control for several of the recent DC stinkers. Whether or not that's his fault or Warner isn't giving him or someone else enough control is what I'm wondering about. hm

Does DC even have an equivalent to Feige? Is there one guy who runs their movie division, and if so, is he comic-savvy like Feige is? The closest I'm aware of is Geoff Johns, but he's been in a position of some control for several of the recent DC stinkers. Whether or not that's his fault or Warner isn't giving him or someone else enough control is what I'm wondering about. hm

I don't think they do.

There was some talk of getting Timms to run stuff for DC as based on what people said about his animated DCU he seems to 'get it'.

One thing is for sure, DC needs to hit it out of the park asap with this 'big push' they have forming or they are going to lose all credibility and get left in the dust for good.

Movie sets look fake, and costumes look cheezy when put under a microscope. It's the magic of the movies that makes it all look polished in the end.

In this case I don't buy the "costume" comment. That one group shot was an official photo of the cast and everything looked like -on-a-stick except for Harley's face & hair.

Yeah, some Warner honcho thought that group shot was going to get people excited. lol

so in the video we get to see if the cowl works in moving side to side.

l4z07aQ.jpg

i guess it does :applause:

I was the first board member to walk TupennyConan down this stretch of Yonge St.

:headbang:

Its kind of interesting during BVS filing they tried so hard to keep full pictures of the suit under wraps, and then in filming Suicice Squad he is on top of a car driving through Toronto lol

Unless filming in a studio there is no way to hide filming in Toronto