• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Keeping in mind they gave him Harley's prop bat for his daughter, so he kinda has to say nice things, right?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/31/suicide-squad-harley-quinn-bat-kevin-smith-daughter

It would be easy to assume so. But as much as Kevin Smith is associated with DC, he came down hard on Batman v Superman from his initial viewing. So I would like to assume he will speak his mind if he doesn't care for the film.

I think his criticism of BvS had more to do with him trying to position himself for a shot at directing a future DC movie (since he's been linked to numerous Batman scripts, and his buddy Ben is the current B-Man)

You could be right, since working for the studios can be very political to stay in their good graces. But hearing Smith's rants about various things to speak his mind, there is that other side of the coin where he wants his voice to be heard.

(shrug)

IDK in his podcasts at least earlier he had repeaditly said he would never direct a superhero movie as it would be "too big"for him.. i honestly believe what he says usually about movies.. hes just a big geek.

I saw it last night.. it was a fun movie.. 7/10 for me as well. You should not go in expecting godfather 2 its just a fun August popcorn flick with great characters.. yes story was a bit whatever but it was fine and they nailed the characters which i think is important.

D@mnit DC!!! Stop @#$% up!!!

7/10 is generous. You can't build a cinematic universe with 7/10 movies!!!

On the Godfather movie scale...Godfather Part III.

***Note, I can't remember what happened in Godfather Part III because I wiped it from my memory

it will track BvS in boxoffice, front-loaded, decent opening driven by the loyal fans and pre-sale tickets, then fall off a cliff the next weekend and beyond

So far so right....

Jeez...Scott Medelson from Forbes reviewed "Nine Lives" (that Kevin Spacy turned into a cat movie...currently sitting at 0% on RT) and said that it was better than "Suicide Squad".

That's a bit harsh.

Looks like it made $20.5 million from Thursday night screenings alone.

Dang...

Warner laughing all the way to the bank. No need to make anything halfway decent, the lemmings can't get to the theater fast enough.

Have you seen it?

Jeez...Scott Medelson from Forbes reviewed "Nine Lives" (that Kevin Spacy turned into a cat movie...currently sitting at 0% on RT) and said that it was better than "Suicide Squad".

That's a bit harsh.

It seems like these reviewers are just trying to make outlandish statements to one up each other and stand out in the crowd.

Movie reviewers are one the most useless parts of society. Even the "great" ones come up with gem reviews like

Kevin Smith Says Suicide Squad ‘Does DC Proud’

One respected voice among the comic book fan community has offered up his own impressions of the movie and – no surprises here – his love of the characters, DC Comics history and director’s unique style made Suicide Squad a fantastic experience.

The fan in question is Kevin Smith, comic book writer/filmmaker/podcast host/superfan whose love for the characters debuting in Suicide Squad may be unrivaled (how many other reviewers can say they named their own daughter after the Joker’s girlfriend?). In light of all the negativity surrounding the film and its reception, Smith offered up his own early reactions to the film.

"I look up to @suicidesquadmovie maker #DavidAyer. His #endofwatch, shot with a mixture of media including dashboard & body cams, was the work of a true filmmaker. And I don’t know how he got me to love a tank movie, but #fury is another amazing Ayer effort. When I heard he was shepherding a cinematic #suicidesquad, my already-high interests in a @dccomics movie shot over the top: what would a gritty guy like Dave do with the likes of #Deadshot & #HarleyQuinn? Well I think he made magic and did #dccomics proud."

"The #Squad movie doesn’t look like any other comic book flick I’ve ever seen. The periodic use of both #Batman and the #joker as background characters instead of the usual leads was thrilling and felt like our first real glimpse at an interconnected #dceu. The cast is top notch but Harley, as expected, steals the show. The #jokerandharley beats are simply wonderful for a longtime fan to watch and make you immediately wanna see the all-Harley movie they already announced. Throwaway moments made me so happy (like Katana and her Soultaker sword) but this flick as a whole had me smiling the whole time. Thanks to her name, my kid @harleyquinnsmith_ was already on board for this movie – and she loved it (like LOVED it). I’ll be heading back to see it again tonight so expect a brand new #FatManOnBatman review soon. #KevinSmith"

While I love Kevin Smith, he went into this film with a huge bias in knowing Ayer personally and with his daughter being nuts for and named after Harley Quinn. I knew he'd love this film no matter what the actual quality was like.

Keeping in mind they gave him Harley's prop bat for his daughter, so he kinda has to say nice things, right?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/31/suicide-squad-harley-quinn-bat-kevin-smith-daughter

It would be easy to assume so. But as much as Kevin Smith is associated with DC, he came down hard on Batman v Superman from his initial viewing. So I would like to assume he will speak his mind if he doesn't care for the film.

And then praised BvS after his second viewing. He did acknowledge that his praise was based upon the nostalgia of being a fanboy of the characters though.

That's a bit harsh.

He also literally said that Suicide Squad was worse than Green Lantern, Fantastic Four, and Jonah Hex.

Wow. Not only can Smith not make a good movie anymore, now he can't recognize one.

As Smith himself would probably say...was there every really a time when he COULD make a good movie, or even recognize one? :o:blush:

I saw it last night in 3d, 6pm on Thursday night.

Spoiler-Free Review

If you completely turn off your brain and ask ZERO (ZERO) questions and just try to enjoy, it CAN be enjoyable. I'd give it a 6.0 out of 10 if you can turn off your brain. The plot ain't great, the acting is fine except Cara Delavigne (awful special effects) and Killer Croc, but I don't think they were given much to work with there.

Harley was the star and perfect, and I liked the Joker quite a bit, though a bit unorthodox. It felt like a buddy movie of Deadshot/Rick Flagg, with Harley tossed in for comedy/sex appeal. The rest of the characters, while done just fine, were forgettable.

But this movie had a million pacing and editing issues, a plot worse than BvS, and the 3d was generally worthless.

I think the saving graces of this movie were the likeability of the characters and the tone. I do think this movie would have been waaaaaayyyy better in a rated R version. I rate it about the same as BvS, but for different reasons. With BvS, I loooovvved some of it, and haaaaateed some of it, with extreme feelings averaging to a 6.0. With SS, I just mostly barely liked it, a more even 6.0, but the same score none the less.

But DC is now playing from waaaayyyy behind Marvel. This won't be a universally enjoyed movie by any stretch of the imagination, nor should it be. The crowd was very 'meh' after the movie, no clapping, but less visceral anger than after BvS.

Spoiler-Filled Comments

What makes Harley and Captain Boomerang metahumans? She gave Joker a few guns and danced around? They didn't show her being especially adept or dangerous to be in the supermax prison. Same with Captain Boomerang, they just showed him getting caught, but not doing anything really cool with boomerangs, no super speed or accuracy or nothing. Same with slipknot.

El Diablo was legit. The end fight scene was more compelling than I thought with the fighting monsters.

After the JL trailer and this, I'm getting more hyped for Flash.

Amanda Waller > Sam Jackson. My loudest cheer was when she capped her own federal agents. What does that say about me? Oh well.

I saw it last night and by the size of the audience the negative reviews have already impacted it. I don't know what all the negative vibe is all about. The movie was good enough to be a summer blockbuster. I am not a big fan of DC/Paramount productions, but I believe they did a good job on this one. Harley Quin definitely steals the show and we see the Joker enough for this to be a palate cleanser for the character after the iconic Heath Leger Joker. Some say there's not enough Joker, but then you would also have to say there's not enough Batman in the movie. For those who say that are missing the point altogether - this is a Suicide Squad movie, not a Joker movie and not a Batman movie.

Spoiler-Free Review

If you completely turn off your brain and ask ZERO (ZERO) questions and just try to enjoy, it CAN be enjoyable. I'd give it a 6.0 out of 10 if you can turn off your brain. The plot ain't great, the acting is fine except Cara Delavigne (awful special effects) and Killer Croc, but I don't think they were given much to work with there.

Harley was the star and perfect, and I liked the Joker quite a bit, though a bit unorthodox. It felt like a buddy movie of Deadshot/Rick Flagg, with Harley tossed in for comedy/sex appeal. The rest of the characters, while done just fine, were forgettable.

But this movie had a million pacing and editing issues, a plot worse than BvS, and the 3d was generally worthless.

I think the saving graces of this movie were the likeability of the characters and the tone. I do think this movie would have been waaaaaayyyy better in a rated R version. I rate it about the same as BvS, but for different reasons. With BvS, I loooovvved some of it, and haaaaateed some of it, with extreme feelings averaging to a 6.0. With SS, I just mostly barely liked it, a more even 6.0, but the same score none the less.

But DC is now playing from waaaayyyy behind Marvel. This won't be a universally enjoyed movie by any stretch of the imagination, nor should it be. The crowd was very 'meh' after the movie, no clapping, but less visceral anger than after BvS.

Spoiler-Filled Comments

What makes Harley and Captain Boomerang metahumans? She gave Joker a few guns and danced around? They didn't show her being especially adept or dangerous to be in the supermax prison. Same with Captain Boomerang, they just showed him getting caught, but not doing anything really cool with boomerangs, no super speed or accuracy or nothing. Same with slipknot.

El Diablo was legit. The end fight scene was more compelling than I thought with the fighting monsters.

Amanda Waller > Sam Jackson. My loudest cheer was when she capped her own federal agents. What does that say about me? Oh well.

I like your review, balanced well reasoned. I'm curious, for audience members who don't already know the characters, do you think it still reaches the conditional 6/10?

Spoiler-Free Review

Spoiler-Filled Comments

I like your review, balanced well reasoned. I'm curious, for audience members who don't already know the characters, do you think it still reaches the conditional 6/10?

I watched it with my wife, who knows little of comics and zero about these specific characters, other than the Joker. She liked it about 3-4x more than BvS, which she hated. She's wasn't sorry or mad about watching SS, there were plenty of parts where she laughed or was clearly entertained, though she's a big fan of Joel Kinnamen and Cara Delavigne and Viola Davis. She gave it a 6.0 out of 10, but she gave BvS a 1.5 out of 10.

BUT YOU MUST TELL THEM TO TURN OFF THEIR BRAIN AND ASK NO QUESTIONS.

Edited by Revat

So my girls seem to think it's the greatest movie ever, and should probably be handed the Oscar for Best Picture right now.

There is definitely a brilliant movie in there somewhere but I just can't find it.

It could've been amazing, it started with a bang, it wasn't following a formula, great acting but then last half, back to formula and kinda stupid by the end.

I want to see what it was supposed to be before all the reshoots, and what it could've been.

Jim