• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

One thing I will say is that all the teenagers I know liked it and the adults didn't.

This is why it has a shot at doing better the second weekend than most are predicting/fearing. The movie strikes the right rebellious tone that will resonate with the teen through mid 20s age group.

At my office, there are several people that are planning on seeing it this coming weekend. The reason, last week when they went the lineups were too long and full of teens. lol They ended up going to Star Trek instead.

Saw it yesterday. I thought it was good.

Really enjoyed Deadshot, Robbie's acting, Waller, and Flag. They had good chemistry and were interesting to watch. The plot was cliche and far from air tight, but I was ok with it. The characters are what make this movie interesting so I didn't feel like it needed to be anything more for me to enjoy it.

Had 4 things that really bugged me throughout and prevented me from thinking it was very good:

1) Joker = Specifically his tattoos and teeth - just stupid. I thought Leto acted it well, and didn't mind the wardrobe and feel of a crime boss/gangster (thought that was a neat interpretation) - he just looked really silly and it distracted me in his "best" scenes.

2) Harley's Bum - got more screen time than Katana and many other "major" characters. Reduced (not totally, but a lot) Harley's character to "the hot girl" which takes away so much of what makes her interesting. Just the opposite of what I hope female heroes (& anti-heroes) can be. So unnecessary and a lame wardrobe choice - the 13 year old boys who get excited about that are already your target audience - don't cheapen it for the 13 year old girls. Seeing little kids at comic con dressed like this broke my heart a little.

3) Boomerang - what a stupid addition. Didn't do ANYTHING and really wasn't the comic relief he was intended to be. I really wish he wasn't in the film and Katana took that role. Which brings me to:

4) Katana - They hinted at so many cool elements of her character and story, and then she did nothing. She could have been such a cool focus - certainly WAY better than Boomerang. Wish she would have been used more. The movie would have been exactly the same if she was replaced with "Man with Knife." Hopefully we see more of her elsewhere in the future

ALSO - POST 1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Edited by Thawk

So...I'm not the best at reading comprehension,

but what I got from that chart is that Batman v. Superman had the largest % drop of all 24 recent superhero movies tracked.

I'm betting that Suicide Squad beats that record:

- worse reviewed

- lesser known characters (thus, weaker brand awareness)

- still summer break, so lots of kids will see it this week, lessening the weekend demand

- will have fewer repeat viewings

- only medium box office competition

Something gave that away...

DC best (weekend) - Batman Begins

DC worst (weekend) - Batman v Superman

It has to be a Public Relations thing.

:baiting:

Not at all.

You emphasized BvS was the worst of the DC; my PR-honed eagle eyes simply pointed out it was in fact the worst of DC, Marvel, and Fox combined

Also, I will give SS credit on two fronts:

1) Casting Gibiatti from The League as the main prison guard, and

2) In the bar, when Rick Flag says they're free to "just leave," Boomerang is gone instantly -- just bolts

lol

So...I'm not the best at reading comprehension,

but what I got from that chart is that Batman v. Superman had the largest % drop of all 24 recent superhero movies tracked.

I'm betting that Suicide Squad beats that record:

- worse reviewed

- lesser known characters (thus, weaker brand awareness)

- still summer break, so lots of kids will see it this week, lessening the weekend demand

- will have fewer repeat viewings

- only medium box office competition

Something gave that away...

DC best (weekend) - Batman Begins

DC worst (weekend) - Batman v Superman

It has to be a Public Relations thing.

:baiting:

Not at all.

You emphasized BvS was the worst of the DC; my PR-honed eagle eyes simply pointed out it was in fact the worst of DC, Marvel, and Fox combined

With the critical response it experienced and then the general audience rating to the Theatrical Cut because they were not steeped in DC lore, it did have its box office impact. Though this film was more like comparing Worlds Finest to an Avengers film versus Justice League as you seem to be fixated on.

Suicide Squad's second weekend is going to be interesting. And has been pointed out, it could be the younger audience that carries this film versus the adults not fully liking the light story - heavy audio-visual approach. We'll see.

Saw this film on Saturday with a couple of friends.

I am at 6/10.

I found I enjoyed the beginning of the film where I got to know the characters through current day scenes and flashbacks with excellent music throughout - this was well done. Then as the movie went on it lost quality.

I agree with Thawk above regarding the Joker - his appearance is ridiculous and I hate the teeth and the tattoos. I found it also took me out of the scene whenever he was in it.

I liked Harley's look, I found the costume made her very alluring and then she unleashes the crazy, it was an interesting juxtapostion. She was the best part of the film to me.

I didn't like the villains, I felt they were far to powerful for the rag-tag Suicide Squad to handle given their "powers". I also didn't like the "grape-head" soldiers of the bad guys that were just fodder to be killed by bullets and a bat.

While I was entertained, I felt this could have been so much more than it was.

6/10

Crime pays: DC's Suicide Squad tops UK box office with £11.25m ($14.6MM)

Critics may have been largely unimpressed, but Suicide Squad defied sunny skies to deliver a robust UK opening of £11.25m from 573 cinemas. The film’s most apt comparison is probably Guardians of the Galaxy, because both comic-book properties were little known to broad audiences until their respective owners, Warner/DC and Disney/Marvel, announced movie adaptations. Guardians of the Galaxy began two years ago with £6.36m, including £1.37m in previews.

Another comparison for Suicide Squad might be Deadpool, which was also given a 15 certificate in the UK. Deadpool debuted in February with £13.73m, including £3.76m in previews. Strip out the previews and Suicide Squad has the bigger opening number.

In fact, discounting previews, Suicide Squad has delivered the third-biggest UK opening of the year, behind Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (£14.62m) and Captain America: Civil War (£14.47m). In August 2015, no new release opened bigger than £3m.

$13MM Monday. 10% above GOTG, 10% below BvS, 35% below DP.

The same market analyst that called out the substantial Saturday-to-Sunday drop-off had something to note about this Monday. 'Hefty'

EqPadfR.png

We'll see if he is right about the $200MM (+) by this weekend.

$13MM Monday. 10% above GOTG, 10% below BvS, 35% below DP.

The same market analyst that called out the substantial Saturday-to-Sunday drop-off had something to note about this Monday. 'Hefty'

EqPadfR.png

We'll see if he is right about the $200MM (+) by this weekend.

the math is fairly straightforward. $225MM by Sunday is a shoo in even if it's down 65%

I have only been reading comics for the past year, so I don't know too much about the characters. But for me, I felt that the Joker/Harley relationship was too even, I always got the impression in the comics that Harley is more obsessed and love struck, and Joker just uses and abuses her... I get the PG13, but it didn't seem right.

There are stories online that there were scenes that reflected this, but they were cut.

I thought the CGI was a little pants, especially at certain points with Enchantress, as well as the voice over.

I will have to watch it again though, as I think some of my views on the film are based on a slight disappointment that...

Scott Eastwood ended up being a nobody, as I was hoping to see some sort of nod to him being Slade

Scott Eastwood ended up being a nobody, as I was hoping to see some sort of nod to him being Slade

That was one of the things that bothered me. You have this up-and-coming star in a role, and he ends up being cannon fodder for the action sequence. Though he is the one that heroically sets off the charge to help the team succeed.

I'm hoping there is some hidden story leading to his character becoming something other than dirt holding up a grave stone.

This goes to exactly why I think we'll see a bigger 2nd-weekend drop-off than BvS's 69.1% -- kids being out of school will burn off the extra demand throughout this week.

It might, but I think that the second weekend will surprise to the upside due to the word of mouth saying the film is better than what the critics were calling for it and the lack of any kind of real competition at the theatre. Sure, Sausage Party is out, but from what I can see most theatres are only using one screen for it which will mean a muted box office.

This goes to exactly why I think we'll see a bigger 2nd-weekend drop-off than BvS's 69.1% -- kids being out of school will burn off the extra demand throughout this week.

+1

I also have to lol a little bit at the irony of the notion that it will require petulant teenagers to prop this dud up in the coming weeks, considering all the talk about how Marvel is the one that only makes movies "for kids"..

Unfortunately, August is historically Hollywood's dumping ground for bad movies. As always, Marvel has already paved the way for DC in this month with GOTG, but that was a critically acclaimed movie, that was also beloved by audiences, whereas SS is just yet another polarizing flop from Warner that will likely also have a 65-70% second weekend drop with all of those teens back in school (closer to the 70% if Sausage Party actually gets decent reviews). 2c

-J.