• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Eventually people will tire of Comic Movies.

Lets hope its not now

I don`t think it`s just comic book movies, but big blockbuster movies as well.

I will be curious to see how

Jurassic World(tracking surprisingly well)

Terminator:Genisys

Fantastic Four

Mission:Impossible - Rogue Nation

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

London Has Fallen

perform at the domestic box office.

I see stuff like Minions and TED 2 surprising instead.

I think Ant Man will tank. Like, $180 million domestic & maybe $450 worldwide.

That may not sound like "tanking" but for a heavily-promoted tentpole Marvel movie, it's really weak. It'd be one thing if it cost only $90 million to make, but my guess is it's more like $160 -- far too much for a C-list character.

So...still profitable, but it's inability to blow the doors off and live up to expectations will cause it to have a dampening effect on future comic book movies.

GOTG :whistle:

Lets hope its not now

Fantastic Four

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

London Has Fallen

My 2c

Jurassic World(tracking surprisingly well) -- very good

Terminator:Genisys -- meh

Fantastic Four -- good

Mission:Impossible - Rogue Nation -- very good

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. -- not good

London Has Fallen -- wha?

Fantastic Four

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

London Has Fallen

I had such high hopes for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. but couldn't connect with the Trailer at all. :(

Hopefully they'll do another that has reveals a smidge of the original series' charm. :wishluck: Or at least be less of a mess.

Lets hope its not now

I don't think so. I think people could tire of Super Hero movies, but I'm still not sure that could happen. If it did though, there is enough source material for them to make tons of none super hero films too.

Comics seem an easy and cheap way for studios to garner interest and have a working plot.

Yep, as long as they churn out remakes, like Point Break and a gazillion upcoming others, comic books are probably safe. They can mine comic book material for decades, and probably will as they re-remember the dollars.

That may not sound like "tanking" but for a heavily-promoted tentpole Marvel movie, it's really weak. It'd be one thing if it cost only $90 million to make, but my guess is it's more like $160 -- far too much for a C-list character.

So...still profitable, but it's inability to blow the doors off and live up to expectations will cause it to have a dampening effect on future comic book movies.

GOTG :whistle:

The difference is that the GoTG trailers were great and helped build even more buzz for what turned out to be a fantastic movie. I'm with Gatsby77 on this - the movie is about a month away and the lack of a concerted marketing blitz from Marvel speaks volumes as how much faith Marvel actually has in this movie.

Lets hope its not now

Fantastic Four

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

London Has Fallen

All are either remakes or sequels. Ant-Man is fresh faced.

Why is Antman being discussed here? :shrug:

Because a group of people at Marvel decided they should make a movie about the all-powerful Ant-Man!!!

Sounds like a suicide squad to me!

bold part - absolutely not possible, not even slightly.

as for "other comic book movies", marvel is in its own separate world. There are comic book movies, and Marvel movies, and their fates and futures, long ago separated...

Ant-man is Marvel's first heist film, and just one of their many moves into all genres. Nuff said

Worldwide or domestic? No way it hits that mark domestically. It looks like a dud in the trailers compared to every other Marvel Studios movie to date. I am basing this on the reaction of my kids and friends' kids - their reaction is meh to this flick which does not bode well.

worldwide, i never speak about the US market as it doesnt matter, all that matters is the actual total a movie makes, versus its budget

I agree.

It's nonsensical to put much emphasis on US market numbers when world market is of course what matters.

It's nonsensical to put much emphasis on US market numbers when world market is of course what matters.

yah, its interesting for discussions, history, etc. But not in terms of money. Monery earned is money earned, regardless of where it comes from.

Worldwide or domestic? No way it hits that mark domestically. It looks like a dud in the trailers compared to every other Marvel Studios movie to date. I am basing this on the reaction of my kids and friends' kids - their reaction is meh to this flick which does not bode well.

worldwide, i never speak about the US market as it doesnt matter, all that matters is the actual total a movie makes, versus its budget

I agree.

Lone Ranger

Jonah Hex

After Earth(Will Smith)

all bombed with the word wide box office.

Sometimes even a world wide audience can`t save a movie.

Has anybody in the world wide audience ever heard of SUICIDE SQUAD?

Remember Spider-Man, and Transformers movies got saved by the world wide audience because they are iconic franchises.

To bank that Suicide Squad will have the world wide audience to save them is suspect.

Fantastic Four has a better chance if we are using the world wide audience box office model to save a movie.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Or maybe because what we've seen actually SUCKS.

You damn apologists... ;)

+1

I think this will be the movie that starts the super hero movie bubble to pop.

MARVEL productions will be fine, but future WB/DC films will be hurt.

I agree with this. Also I think Guardians of the Galaxy will replace Avengers as the number one Marvel franchise going forward.

this isn't accurate. the studios cut of a US box office $ is 55%, the studios cut of a China box office $ is 25%, the studios cut of other int'l box office $'s is 40%. all box office $'s are not created equal.