• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Worldwide or domestic? No way it hits that mark domestically. It looks like a dud in the trailers compared to every other Marvel Studios movie to date. I am basing this on the reaction of my kids and friends' kids - their reaction is meh to this flick which does not bode well.

worldwide, i never speak about the US market as it doesnt matter, all that matters is the actual total a movie makes, versus its budget

this isn't accurate. the studios cut of a US box office $ is 55%, the studios cut of a China box office $ is 25%, the studios cut of other int'l box office $'s is 40%. all box office $'s are not created equal.

Rule of thumb is a movie needs to make 3 times its budget worldwide just to break even.

-J.

Rule of thumb is a movie needs to make 3 times its budget worldwide just to break even.

-J.

not to break even, to be worth making in studios eyes, big difference

Edited by CBT

I think Ant Man will tank. Like, $180 million domestic & maybe $450 worldwide.

That may not sound like "tanking" but for a heavily-promoted tentpole Marvel movie, it's really weak. It'd be one thing if it cost only $90 million to make, but my guess is it's more like $160 -- far too much for a C-list character.

So...still profitable, but it's inability to blow the doors off and live up to expectations will cause it to have a dampening effect on future comic book movies.

bold part - absolutely not possible, not even slightly.

as for "other comic book movies", marvel is in its own separate world. There are comic book movies, and Marvel movies, and their fates and futures, long ago separated...

Ant-man is Marvel's first heist film, and just one of their many moves into all genres. Nuff said

While Ant-Man doesn't look awesome to me, if it plays an important role in the entire MU then it should do well as people will need to see it to stay in the loop.

That may not sound like "tanking" but for a heavily-promoted tentpole Marvel movie, it's really weak. It'd be one thing if it cost only $90 million to make, but my guess is it's more like $160 -- far too much for a C-list character.

So...still profitable, but it's inability to blow the doors off and live up to expectations will cause it to have a dampening effect on future comic book movies.

as for "other comic book movies", marvel is in its own separate world. There are comic book movies, and Marvel movies, and their fates and futures, long ago separated...

Ant-man is Marvel's first heist film, and just one of their many moves into all genres. Nuff said

While Ant-Man doesn't look awesome to me, if it plays an important role in the entire MU then it should do well as people will need to see it to stay in the loop.

I don't know about that. Despite my best intentions I've never seen either of the Thor movies or watched an episode of Shield or Agent Carter, and I followed Avengers 2 just fine (at least I thought I did). I think Marvel would shoot themselves in the foot if you were forced to see everything for a later film to make sense. At that point it is easier to just see nothing than it is to watch everything, and confused audiences would find something else to buy tickets for.

I don't know about that. Despite my best intentions I've never seen either of the Thor movies or watched an episode of Shield or Agent Carter, and I followed Avengers 2 just fine (at least I thought I did). I think Marvel would shoot themselves in the foot if you were forced to see everything for a later film to make sense. At that point it is easier to just see nothing than it is to watch everything.

I should have put 'need' in quotations.

Every movie can stand alone but there is a large amount of crossover that compels people to see what is going on that is new.

For example, I'd never watch the Ghost Rider / Nic Cage movies but I will watch Ant-Man because of it's role in MU.

I find it ironic that it's hip to not be hip to things now.

Even though, due to your myopic view, you have no clue what is going on elsewhere in the marvel movie universe. By not being hip to that information, you're now being hip. So being hip is no longer hip.

a52c9ebbd94646033f542ea14b0a41c4.jpg

Even though, due to your myopic view, you have no clue what is going on elsewhere in the marvel movie universe. By not being hip to that information, you're now being hip. So being hip is no longer hip.

Are you talking to me?

I'm not trying to be hip. I've been dressing like a washed up 80's rock star since high school lol Methinks you need to talk to those guys growing beards about trying to be hip.

No, I was just giving my opinion, which I think is allowed. The fact that I'm often right might be weighed in but you don't have to if you don't want to. :baiting:

I don't know about that. Despite my best intentions I've never seen either of the Thor movies or watched an episode of Shield or Agent Carter, and I followed Avengers 2 just fine (at least I thought I did). I think Marvel would shoot themselves in the foot if you were forced to see everything for a later film to make sense. At that point it is easier to just see nothing than it is to watch everything, and confused audiences would find something else to buy tickets for.

hm sounds exactly like what happened with the publishing side of the biz

hm sounds exactly like what happened with the publishing side of the biz

I know it has worked that way for me since way back when cover prices hit $1.00.

Are you talking to me?

I'm not trying to be hip. I've been dressing like a washed up 80's rock star since high school lol Methinks you need to talk to those guys growing beards about trying to be hip.

No, I was just giving my opinion, which I think is allowed. The fact that I'm often right might be weighed in but you don't have to if you don't want to. :baiting:

I think he was talking to the post before yours, either way, you werent doing what he was saying

But I do agree with his point. There are people that try to be cool by not caring about stuff, because they think its the right point of view to have.

As far as ant-man, the people that think it wont do well (as in at least $750 mill), have fallen behind the times and are missing out on the sea change. The whole, "comic movie fatigue" debate no longer has a bearing on what Marvel is doing.

The shared universe is set, the genres are being expanded, its not going anywhere. That is why everyone else is rushing to get an established universe, so they can try and get a captive audience as well.

Whether other shared universe live or die on the operating table is yet to be seen, I think Star Wars' is a sure thing. I thnk DC's is very precarious, with lots of signs of trouble.

The shared universe is set, the genres are being expanded, its not going anywhere. That is why everyone else is rushing to get an established universe, so they can try and get a captive audience as well.

I agree, each decade or generation has it's appeal (or gimmick) and the expanded universe seems to be this one's.

That's what I was getting at with Ant-Man. Even if it's a B movie, it's going to do much better than a stand alone B movie.

i think prior to the Spider-man deal with Sony, Ant-Man probably had a bigger role in MCU.

I think now that they have their "star" I suspect Ant-Man's role in Civil War and beyond will be much smaller - no pun intended

I'm still going with Thor I / Captain America 1 numbers for Ant Man. Guardians of the Galaxy this ain't.

Captain America didn't even hit $400 mill. worldwide.

Granted, the international box office has vastly expanded since then, as has the coordination (studios used to roll out internationally weeks after the domestic release. Now they're released abroad concurrently or even prior to the U.S.)

And by this rubric -- (i.e., Thor 1 numbers of $180 domestic / $450 international) Ant Man will be considered a failure.

I agree, each decade or generation has it's appeal (or gimmick) and the expanded universe seems to be this one's.

That's what I was getting at with Ant-Man. Even if it's a B movie, it's going to do much better than a stand alone B movie.

Bee movie.

I'm still going with Thor I / Captain America 1 numbers for Ant Man. Guardians of the Galaxy this ain't.

Captain America didn't even hit $400 mill. worldwide.

Granted, the international box office has vastly expanded since then, as has the coordination (studios used to roll out internationally weeks after the domestic release. Now they're released abroad concurrently or even prior to the U.S.)

And by this rubric -- (i.e., Thor 1 numbers of $180 domestic / $450 international) Ant Man will be considered a failure.

those are pre-avengers numbers, during the universe building phase, absolutely and completely not possible. they would have to green lantern level bomb about 3 films in a row, to push a MCU film back down to that box office level.

Edited by CBT

Bee movie.

OK, that was funny. lol