• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

DC is so far behind Marvel in cinema that even the CGC Forum threads get taken over. :)

DC will probably always be behind Marvel in the box office. I just wish Marvel had films of equal or better quality than The Dark Knight. I haven't found one yet.

Look harder, then. There are a few out there. ;)

DC is so far behind Marvel in cinema that even the CGC Forum threads get taken over. :)

it started with discussion of potential SS box office numbers.

When DC announced they were adding Batman to Superman 2 and renaming it, I thought it was too soon.

When they cast Ben Affleck cause they thought his academy love that year would dampen any criticism, I cringed and said "you are doing it wrong"

When I heard this movie was getting made I thought it would be sweet, and I've liked harley since before she was in comics. Then they announced Will Smith was going to be in it,

Now seeing the style and aesthetic they are going for, I really wonder how this film doesnt end up both doing poorly, and bringing down any momentum BvS can manage to hold in light of the Civil War juggernaut.

It's too soon be redoing the joker after heath ledgers performance. That forces a radical departure to prevent direct comparison, but ends up giving us pink lamborghinis....

This movie will do great with comic book fans, but with no lead in to build a solid adult audience, and the giant weight of The Dark Knight Trilogy on its back, I dont see how this movie does well. Maybe if there is nothing else near its release date, but if there is any decent sc-fi/action movie it has to compete with, goodnight.

Edited by CBT

When DC announced they were adding Batman to Superman 2 and renaming it, I thought it was too soon.

When they cast Ben Affleck cause they thought his academy love that year would dampen any criticism, I cringed and said "you are doing it wrong"

When I heard this movie was getting made I thought it would be sweet, and I've liked harley since before she was in comics. Then they announced Will Smith was going to be in it,

Now seeing the style and aesthetic they are going for, I really wonder how this film doesnt end up both doing poorly, and bringing down any momentum BvS can manage to hold in light of the Civil War juggernaut.

It's too soon be redoing the joker after heath ledgers performance. That forces a radical departure to prevent direct comparison, but ends up giving us pink lamborghinis....

This movie will do great with comic book fans, but with no lead in to build a solid adult audience, and the giant weight of The Dark Knight Trilogy on its back, I dont see how this movie does well. Maybe if there is nothing else near its release date, but if there is any decent sc-fi/action movie it has to compete with, goodnight.

if BvS turns out to be good with a great story and SS can follow with great story telling then the mass audience will care now a lot more. if both movies have story and people dont like it then yeah it can hurt them in the long run. i just think their doing a great job on the writing team and director so far, we don't know much of the WW movie until... i think SDCC we should be getting a lot of new information.

if BvS turns out to be good with a great story and SS can follow with great story telling then the mass audience will care now a lot more. if both movies have story and people dont like it then yeah it can hurt them in the long run. i just think their doing a great job on the writing team and director so far, we don't know much of the WW movie until... i think SDCC we should be getting a lot of new information.

BvS is to big to fail, but a long way from a certainty to succeed either. The two of these films together will be launching the DCU attempt, and if this one bombs, and people are fence sitting on the quality of Batman, and he's taken down a peg by being in this, it could put the final nail in the DCU coffin.

I tend to agree with CBT in a lot of ways.

I think B v S has the ability to be awesome and I think that SS could be awesome too but it's very obvious that they are really trying hard to tie everything together and a LOT rests on them doing that successfully. Hopefully they're not trying too hard and blow it. There really is no substitution for time and that is something that Marvel has had on their side for nearly a decade now to lay a groundwork.

THIS. Point by point as you bring up is how I feel.

To clarify though I do think BvS will do over 1 billion worldwide, and will be the peak of the super hero movie bubble craze, but it will be all downhill after that with Suicide Squad adding the most grease to make the downhill ride go faster.

I tend to agree with CBT in a lot of ways.

I think B v S has the ability to be awesome and I think that SS could be awesome too but it's very obvious that they are really trying hard to tie everything together and a LOT rests on them doing that successfully. Hopefully they're not trying too hard and blow it. There really is no substitution for time and that is something that Marvel has had on their side for nearly a decade now to lay a groundwork.

i see with SS them using the film to people that all these villains were around doing MOS and most likely before the movie, which would give the universe a lot of history a lot of question waiting to be answer. in BvS the only know heros with are Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman with the rest are given a small cameo Aquaman, flash (most likely in a security camera scene), and victor stone (playing football).

I think Ant Man will tank. Like, $180 million domestic & maybe $450 worldwide.

That may not sound like "tanking" but for a heavily-promoted tentpole Marvel movie, it's really weak. It'd be one thing if it cost only $90 million to make, but my guess is it's more like $160 -- far too much for a C-list character.

So...still profitable, but it's inability to blow the doors off and live up to expectations will cause it to have a dampening effect on future comic book movies.

GOTG :whistle:

The difference is that the GoTG trailers were great and helped build even more buzz for what turned out to be a fantastic movie. I'm with Gatsby77 on this - the movie is about a month away and the lack of a concerted marketing blitz from Marvel speaks volumes as how much faith Marvel actually has in this movie.

That's an entirely different matter. We're discussing C list characters, not marketing tactics. People are trying to point out that Ant-Man being a C list character is making a negative impact on the general interest in the film, but being a C list character has nothing to do with it as GOTG has clearly demonstrated. Sure, people might go see a Batman or Superman movie, because It's Batman or Superman, and that's the only reason they need, but does character obscurity constitute failure or lack of interest in a film? Again...GOTG.

It does not matter. The GoTG trailers were great and everyone wanted to see it - fan-boys and general public. They were also running on TV a couple of months before the movie. The Ant-Man trailer is mediocre and will not attract as many general public viewers. Some of that has to do with the character, and some of it with the cast. Paul Rudd does not have the charisma of Chris Pratt as the lead. Sorry, but him being cast as Ant-Man is Marvel's equivalent to Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern.

That being said, it will probably do $400M+ worldwide which I would take laughing all the way to the bank if I were Disney (or Warner with their 2nd and 3rd tier properties). How many non-comic movies released now fail to reach that in tickets sales?

It does not matter. The GoTG trailers were great and everyone wanted to see it - fan-boys and general public. They were also running on TV a couple of months before the movie. The Ant-Man trailer is mediocre and will not attract as many general public viewers. Some of that has to do with the character, and some of it with the cast. Paul Rudd does not have the charisma of Chris Pratt as the lead. Sorry, but him being cast as Ant-Man is Marvel's equivalent to Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern.

That being said, it will probably do $400M+ worldwide which I would take laughing all the way to the bank if I were Disney (or Warner with their 2nd and 3rd tier properties). How many non-comic movies released now fail to reach that in tickets sales?

Actually, it does matter, because you're confusing CONTENT with CHARACTER STATUS. Saying that GOTG had great trailers has NOTHING to do with the level of popularity of the characters in it, and has everything to do with the content that was created/incorporated, and how it was portrayed. Nobody (well, almost nobody) cared about the GOTG characters before the movie hit, but it was the quality of the content seen in the trailers and movie that made this film a blockbuster.

If the Ant-Man trailer is "mediocre", then that's because both the trailer and movie itself were created in a mediocre fashion, and has absolutely nothing to do with Ant-Man's popularity status as a character. There have been several comic book movies that revolve around A list characters, that have tanked: Hulk, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Catwoman, etc. You know why they tanked? Because the quality of the content was garbage, and that had nothing to do with their popularity status.

With all that said, care to elaborate how the Ant-Man character himself is responsible for a "mediocre" trailer, or at least contributed to the mediocrity?

Sorry, but him being cast as Ant-Man is Marvel's equivalent to Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

Really? lol what are basing that on?

Also, people (geeks)were loving the Ryan Reynolds as GL before the movie hit. It wasn't Reynolds that failed in that movie, look at the -script.

Sorry, but him being cast as Ant-Man is Marvel's equivalent to Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

Also, people (geeks)were loving the Ryan Reynolds as GL before the movie hit. It wasn't Reynolds that failed in that movie, look at the -script.

It was that 'Cloud of Death' and Big Brain. The magic that could have saved that movie was the appearance of Sinestro with a yellow ring - but at the end. A great villain keeps the movie intense.

That training fight scene between Hal and Sinestro demonstrates what should have been.

:(

It was that 'Cloud of Death' and Big Brain. The magic that could have saved that movie was the appearance of Sinestro with a yellow ring - but at the end. A great villain keeps the movie intense.

That training fight scene between Hal and Sinestro demonstrates what should have been.

:(

Yep. Random thoughts about Green Lantern.

Sinestro stole the movie.

I found him more interesting than Hal.

Also the Green Lantern scenes in outer space were cool. It`s when they put the focus back on Earth that the movie dragged.

Same thing with Thor. The Asgard scenes were awesome, but they lost something going back to Earth.

That`s Hollywood trying to appease the non-comic book fans.

To tie this into the Suicide Squad movie.

Hector Hammond looked ridiculous which is how some of the Suicide Squad members look in the leaks.

Don't underestimate the Ryan Reynolds effect. He is so terrible, and while he would have been great in comic films around 1999-2003 he is way out of step. I still think he will be able to crash and burn deadpool.

If DC had cast actors like Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Evans, MacAvoy, Fassbender, etc

instead of actors like Reynolds, Affleck, Will Smith...

Green Lantern might not have bombed, and I'd feel a lot less a-feared of their coming offerings.

Writers, Directors, and Show Runners produce the material, and the type of actors that get cast are a reflection of that. Choosing high quality, young, up and coming actors, shows that the -script and director and boss are doing it right.

Hiring name actors, hoping that people will come just cause of that, to me anyway, shows that the creative people in control do not have the right mindset, and the films -script and directing will mirror that.

It's no "accident" that Nolan's Batman ends up with Bale, Ledger, Caine, Freeman, etc. He was doing it right, like Marvel.

Edited by CBT

Reynolds was not the failure in Green Lantern.

It was the -script -- Hal Jordan is cocky and confident, not a comedian -- the -script had Reynolds play Jordan a la Van Wilder or Guy Gardner.

And then there was the of turning Galactus into a cloud and the ridiculous special effects on Hector Hammond.

100% -script issues.

By comparison, I've loved what I've seen of Reynolds as Deadpool (both in Wolverine: Origins -- "Okay...People are dead!"-- and the test footage & viral marketing campaign for the solo movie so far).

And to be fair -- what the writers did to Deadpool at the end of Wolverine was far worse, to me, than what they did to Mandarin in Iron Man 3.