• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDW Marvels Covers Artists Edition

137 posts in this topic

...except for a few like Bone, Manhunter and Peanuts.

For these, more or less than 15-25?

Bone: 6 copies ordered, 5 sold

Manhunter: 3 copies ordered, 0 sold (sic)

Peanuts: 5 copies ordered, 4 sold

Latest Previews has a New IDW Artists Edition "Marvel Covers: The Modern Era Artists Edition" . Four covers show are Spider-Man #1 and Incredible Hulk # 344 by McFarlane, X-Men #5 by Jim Lee and Marvel Comics Presents 85 by Sam Keith.

Scott,

What other covers and artists will you be inlcuding?

I'm one that is a little skeptical about it, and here's why:

The Watchmen Artifact edition was horrendous. Worst one they've put out by far. The pages were clearly was not scanned "in house" from the same scanner and design professionals but rather likely just taken from whatever cruddy scan the page owner had put up in their CAF gallery.

Every other page looked different. About a third of the pages looked good. As far as the rest? Some looked like bleached out BW photocopies, some looked like they'd been soaked in radioactive urine. Some scans were blue, some scans were pink (not a joke). My copy is on eBay right now. It's aggravating to look at after the expectations I had from IDW. (they'd set the bar high for themselves with pvs volumes)

I am guessing that the Marvel Covers edition will be done the same way. Surely owners from across the country are not all mailing their actual covers to IDW to scan properly, but rather will be just emailing whatever JPG they have sitting on their hard drive.

I expect the book's overall quality to be on par with the Watchmen volume (ug), and will be waiting to flip through a copy in person before I fork out any money.

Just my two cents. (Hope you prove me wrong, Scott!)

You are 100% correct. But some of us did go the extra mile to help IDW get the best possible scan so everyone buying the book would enjoy it. One of my Watchmen pages is in the book, Scott Dunbier contacted me through CAF and asked for a scan and permission to use my page in the Artist Edition.

He also told me I would get a credit in the book and and a complimentary copy.

Because I wanted the scan to be as good as possible, I opted not to have him use the scan on my CAF page but went to a copy shop and paid them to make a high res color copy which I sent to Scott.

Alas I never got to see how my page turned out in the book as Scott never sent me my promised copy. After contacting him through CAF and his email address and not getting a reply I finally asked about the comp book in this thread :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8125292#Post8125292

I was told some comp books hadn't been sent out but all would be by the end of October 2014.

It's now March 2016 and I'm still waiting.

I liked Scott. Had great chats with him at SDCC, went to the IDW Artist Edition panel and championed the idea of the AEs, but this whole affair has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't purchased a single volume anymore since the Watchmen book came out.

It's not about some free book, it's about the principle for me, I was raised with the notion that your word is your bond and it's still hold true to this day.

Anybody looking forward to the Jack Kirby's The Mighty Thor Artist's Edition ?

I know I am ! :D

I just happened to view the IDW site and saw this.

Thing is, when I view this page in their catalogue it states the item is Out of Stock, even though it's not even released until May.

Anyone know if it's sold out on IDW by pre-order? I would hate to miss out on this one.

And yeah, I know; Colletta Inks on some of the stories, but 2 of them happen to be among my favorite stories : JIM 117 & 118.

Also (if anybody knows) how many pages, if any, are photocopies of some sort, rather than high quality scans of the original art?

Too bad they can't come out with early issues artists editions. Like scanning the original pages of AF15 from the library of congress.

That would be great !

And if Burkey would allow them to scan his complete Ditko ASM stories it would make on hell of an Artist's Edition ! :luhv:

The Watchmen Artifact edition was horrendous. Worst one they've put out by far. The pages were clearly was not scanned "in house" from the same scanner and design professionals but rather likely just taken from whatever cruddy scan the page owner had put up in their CAF gallery.

Every other page looked different. About a third of the pages looked good. As far as the rest? Some looked like bleached out BW photocopies, some looked like they'd been soaked in radioactive urine. Some scans were blue, some scans were pink (not a joke). My copy is on eBay right now. It's aggravating to look at after the expectations I had from IDW. (they'd set the bar high for themselves with pvs volumes)

I am guessing that the Marvel Covers edition will be done the same way. Surely owners from across the country are not all mailing their actual covers to IDW to scan properly, but rather will be just emailing whatever JPG they have sitting on their hard drive.

I expect the book's overall quality to be on par with the Watchmen volume (ug), and will be waiting to flip through a copy in person before I fork out any money.

You are 100% correct. But some of us did go the extra mile to help IDW get the best possible scan so everyone buying the book would enjoy it. One of my Watchmen pages is in the book, Scott Dunbier contacted me through CAF and asked for a scan and permission to use my page in the Artist Edition.

Because I wanted the scan to be as good as possible, I opted not to have him use the scan on my CAF page but went to a copy shop and paid them to make a high res color copy which I sent to Scott.

Alas I never got to see how my page turned out in the book as Scott never sent me my promised copy. After contacting him through CAF and his email address and not getting a reply I finally asked about the comp book in this thread :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8125292#Post8125292

I was told some comp books hadn't been sent out but all would be by the end of October 2014.

I liked Scott. Had great chats with him at SDCC, went to the IDW Artist Edition panel and championed the idea of the AEs, but this whole affair has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't purchased a single volume anymore since the Watchmen book came out.

It's not about some free book, it's about the principle for me, I was raised with the notion that your word is your bond and it's still hold true to this day.

Ok, a follow-up and credit where credit is due...

I was contacted off-board by a fellow collector through my CAF, who told me he had been in the same boat, but talked to Scott last SDCC and he told him some had slipped through the cracks and he had no idea anymore who got left out. This collector received his comp copy a month later and advised me to give it one final try and send Scott a mail.

I received a reply within 15 minutes, with a heartfelt apology, a promise to get my book out today and an offer of an extra comp copy of my choice.

Thank you Marcus Wai, for the advice and thank you Scott for your reply.

Let's hope in a couple of weeks I can follow-up with the good news I finally got my comp-copy (thumbs u

I love these books but can't stand their website it is so out dated. I'm not a reader of previews so I tend to miss announcements of new editions., it is only through word of mouth that I hear of any new copies. Hopefully someone takes heart and improves the site. As an example I heard about a third volume of their Spider-man newspaper strips but can't find any news or details on the IDW site.

I was contacted off-board by a fellow collector through my CAF, who told me he had been in the same boat, but talked to Scott last SDCC and he told him some had slipped through the cracks and he had no idea anymore who got left out. This collector received his comp copy a month later and advised me to give it one final try and send Scott a mail.

I received a reply within 15 minutes, with a heartfelt apology, a promise to get my book out today and an offer of an extra comp copy of my choice.

Let's hope in a couple of weeks I can follow-up with the good news I finally got my comp-copy (thumbs u

Looks like persistence pays off, my comp copy of Watchmen AE arrived at my US address yesterday, Scott threw in another book of my choice to make up for the oversight, which was not necessary but appreciated (and greedily accepted by me :devil: )

Looks like persistence pays off, my comp copy of Watchmen AE arrived at my US address yesterday, Scott threw in another book of my choice to make up for the oversight, which was not necessary but appreciated (and greedily accepted by me :devil: )

:applause:

That's awesome! Scott seems like a great guy, so really good to hear a story that will keep collectors wanting to help with these fantastic projects.

Long live Artist Editions!

I was hoping that someone got the SDCC version of the Marvel Modern Covers Edition. The normal keeps getting delayed and I want to know the covers that are included. The contents weren't put up on the Retro Randy blog either.

I hope this collection turns out with good scans. I only have a few Artist Editions so far and they are good to me. Nothing can top the actual original art but having scans of Romita and other artist's pages is as close to the original as many will get.