• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet Comics completed run
4 4

154 posts in this topic

Well done run with some great good girl art and crazy awesome stories inside some on them. (worship)

I have been picking up the Planet Comics PS Artbooks so I can read them, as nearly half of my collection is slabbed. I am dismayed that they seem to not be releasing book 4. I have the first 3, and 5 is due out within a month..oh where for art thou book 4?

:(

***edit: browsing the PS Artbooks site I see they need help with issues 13 and 15. Maybe I can help them out :)

Edited by Artboy99

What a truly satisfying accomplishment! I am very slowly working on this myself so its great to what the end result looks like and I appreciate the comments about the 14 and 15, you are helping temper my expectations.

I was talking to Vince Zurzulo about visiting the CC office next time I am in NYC to have a look at the Fantastic 3 collection, I will have to ask him about the Planet 15 as well now.

I found some of the books to be very elusive in higher grade than VG, and not just the lower numbers. It surprised me to find how hard it was to get a #61 in better than VG.

Of course now that I have a 7.5 less than a few weeks after I buy it there were 2 copies above that for sale. That seems ot happen a lot in life. :)

There are books that consistently elude us, however we try. That's why this is a great achievement.

earlier this year I traded my 14 and 15 for several centaurs I needed (badly)...

I had been offered upto 15K for the pair (they were both in the vg range), but needed the centaurs I got in trade more than the money...

those 2 are truly tough, period!

Karl,

What an incedible achievement and labour of love! I look forward to seeing the run in person.

I especially enjoyed seeing the books in the teens (13-18). Love the style of the artist (Zolnerowich?)

I'm sure we can find something cool for you to collect in the Gerber books. It just won't be 71 issues long.

Cheers,

John

I knew this thread was coming, but my jaw is still dropped. Amazing to see them all here together. Nice way to display them too with the thumbnails.

Well done and congrats! :applause:

Hi all,

I posted last week that I had finished my Planet Comics run, several people asked to see it so this thread will show the complete run.

A brief history of why I started to collect Planet Comics.

I started buying comics when I was 5, buying purely Marvel comics superhero stuff. By 1990 I left comic collecting and sold nearly everything I owned, I blame the 1990 Mcfarlane Spiderman 1 and the multiple covers it had. I was a completionist then and hated variant covers. Fast forward to 2004 when I returned to comic collecting. I started focusing on re-acquiring all the books I used to own.

I learned something about myself during that time: I like the chase, the hunt, and in 2004 it was far easier to find books due to the internet.

I started buying golden age books in Dec 2009 mostly because I had never bough one before; it was new and unexplored territory for me. My first golden age purchase was a Tomb Of Terror #1 off of Comiclink when they were still doing those Ebetter auctions. Once I got the book I was hooked and started to buy more golden age horror. I seemed to gravitate towards the books that had a "damsel in distress" on the cover like Venus 19, Captain America Comics 75, Dark Mysteries 19, etc.

I then noticed Planet Comics. So many of the covers had a damsel in distress on them, that I started buying them. The first Planet I bought was issue 41, my copy happens to be a CGC 8.5 from the Lost Valley pedigree with white pages.

Once I had several of the Planets I decided to try to collect them all. At first I said I wanted to collect them in 5.0 or better condition, it was a statement uttered in ignorance. I have learned in my time collecting this title that there are certain books that are virtually impossible to get in 5.0 or better and if you did find the book it would break the bank!

I have never seen a copy of Planet Comics 14 better than a good/3.0, at this point if you have one post it so I can see it! ( I am sure Stephen Fischler's Church Planet 14 is likely a 9.4 )

Planet 15 was another challenge for me as it seemed all I could find were 2.0-3.0 copies with brittle pages. I am very happy with my 1.5 with off-white pages.

I am very fond of this run, and can't really choose a favorite from the collection although perhaps I could say my double cover off register 48 is one of them for it's uniqueness and exceptionally high grade.

Well, here they are from 1 - 73, I hope you enjoy seeing them.

1-12_zpsb683cfaf.jpg

13-24_zps5700f1cc.jpg

25-36_zps8d5b2a7f.jpg

37-48_zpsdb7af3ee.jpg

48-59_zps9f1ec7af.jpg

60-71_zps478632b8.jpg

72-73_zpsada3fb7b.jpg

What happens for me now?

I may upgrade some of these, but as many of them are 5.0 or better the list needing to be upgraded is small but upgrading is not urgent.

I need to browse my Gerber books and find a title that grabs me and perhaps focus on the next run.

Thanks for looking. :)

Congratulations on your set. (thumbs u

I found some of the books to be very elusive in higher grade than VG, and not just the lower numbers. It surprised me to find how hard it was to get a #61 in better than VG.

Of course now that I have a 7.5 less than a few weeks after I buy it there were 2 copies above that for sale. That seems ot happen a lot in life. :)

Congrats on completing your dream run! :golfclap:

Have always loved the cover on issue 61 along with most of the other later Planet issues. Never realize that 61 was relatively tougher to find in grade, but maybe just a case of bad timing on your part since 2 others showed up right afterward your pickup.

Wonderful accomplishment Artboy! :applause: It is getting more and more unusual to see collectors complete significant runs like this as our hobby has shifted toward collecting keys and classic covers.

Rarely has a truer sentence been written than this - many congratulations to you sir !