• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last days of Comics Ink Culver City, CA

13 posts in this topic

As of this weekend Comics Ink Culver City will be no more and will be replaced by a second location of The Comic Bug out of Manhattan Beach.

In this comic book economy it's rare that a comic book store that is doing so well has decided to "close" but owner Steve LeClair has decided to retire. It's been pretty much my main LCS for the past 6 years and has been in it's location since the late eighties if I'm not mistaken. Today was the last new comic book day and I will miss going in on Wednesday mornings and shooting the spoon with all the colorful regulars. It was not uncommon to rub shoulders in the small aisles with comic book publishers, writers & artists as well as all types of Hollywood industry (writers, actors, producers, directors). Some epic conversations and moments.

Comics Ink will truly be missed. Hopefully Comic Bug can continue Ink's legacy but it will be hard to match I think. If you are in the area today or have a moment over the next couple of days be sure to stop in and say your proper goodbyes to a great store.

Comics Ink

4267 Overland Ave.

Culver City, CA 90230

Here's a group photo of some familiar faces from this morning. From Left to right - Nick (Skybound), Jason (Comics Ink), BeachBum (needing to wake up & shave), Shawn Kirkham (Skybound), Vince (Comics Ink), & Comics Ink owner Steve LeClair.

:cry:

comicsink_zpsf88f559a.jpg

Sounds like it was a very cool store. (thumbs u

Unfortunately this thread lacks drama, angst, paranoia, conspiracies, spamming, GPA, ice cream threats, passive/aggressiveness, behind the scenes PMs, free stuff, New Mutants 98, more spam, fake boobs, controversy, cosplay, Voldemort, turn around times or anything generally cruddy.

It will therefore be moved to the Water Cooler and turned into a Global Warming thread.

Sounds like it was a very cool store. (thumbs u

Unfortunately this thread lacks drama, angst, paranoia, conspiracies, spamming, GPA, ice cream threats, passive/aggressiveness, behind the scenes PMs, free stuff, New Mutants 98, more spam, fake boobs, controversy, cosplay, Voldemort, turn around times or anything generally cruddy.

It will therefore be moved to the Water Cooler and turned into a Global Warming thread.

HAHA

So true about Comics General these days.

lol

I used to work for Fed Ex out of Culver City.... this would be in the mid 80's, and there was a comic store I used to frequent on my lunch break down there somewhere near Overland. Seeing Steve in your picture stirs some old memories. He seems slightly familiar. Do you know if he had a store around that area in the mid 80's

I used to work for Fed Ex out of Culver City.... this would be in the mid 80's, and there was a comic store I used to frequent on my lunch break down there somewhere near Overland. Seeing Steve in your picture stirs some old memories. He seems slightly familiar. Do you know if he had a store around that area in the mid 80's

If I'm not mistaken he was involved in another store nearby before opening his own.

Maybe that's it. It was a small shop, not in a mall, but he had a great back issue selection of hg silver stuff. I remember buying some really nice Doom Patrols and Batmans from him. It's also where I first purchased Vortex's Mr. X book by Seth (at the time).

Ahh well.... old times, long ago. Sorry to see it leaving. I hope he enjoys his retirement and you can make friends with the new shop owners.

If I'm not mistaken he was involved in another store nearby before opening his own.

Two more posts from your milestone of 10,000th post. Make it a special!

Used to roller skate in the afternoon after high school most days to Steves in the mid 80's when it was Grafitti Comics a half block south. Sad news, it was my first LCS when I started collecting in late '84 or early '85. Purchased my 3 TMNT #3 (1st print) double covers the day it came out as well as two sets of the first TMNT lead miniatures (one of which I recently sold for $500) from him.

Dre, thanks for posting and starting the lovefest.

I lived in Culver City in 1990-1991 or so and it was across the street (south). They moved into current location after I left CC.

When I moved back over to Westside in 1995, it was my shop then on until we moved to Oregon in 2005. Loved going in there on Wednesdays for the buzz. Small but a great selection and lots of characters picking up comics. It's about two blocks from Sony Studios so lots of industry people in there. Whenever we make it back to El Lay, I almost always carve out some time to stop by and will have to check out the new place along with the Mexican Mochas at that place (Monastery?) on Washington just up the street.

A friend of mine lives in Palmdale (what is that, 90 minutes away?) and commutes every few weeks to Culver City because he likes it so much. Steve called him personally a while back to let him know the news.

My funniest memory of Comics Ink was being on paternity leave in 2003, going there on new comic Wednesday and leaving my son in his stroller as I walked out. Got about 10 feet outside the store and had the "uhm, something's not right" moment. Sheepishly went back in to Jason busting out laughing.

Steve, Jason, Vince and Adam (not pictured as he's the Sunday guy) are all great.

Dre moving to Florida and Comics Ink closing. Coincidence, I think not.

Trust me when I tell you that you will love the Comic Bug. They have been my shop for years. The owners and staff are great. They get great industry people in their shop for special events. Charles Soule is being flown in by them for a signing this weekend. They have rented out a movie theater and have had customer only screenings of Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America Winter Soldier on the night prior to release. Comics Ink will be in good hands and the Bug has great plans for it.