• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest book you own want or know of

457 posts in this topic

1st Submariner

MoPixFunWkly1.jpg

:cloud9:

My old copy...

MPFW1_1.jpg

Strangely, in over 35 years of collecting comics I've never bothered to take a look at that, not even the cover.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Believe it or not, this is probably Neal Adams' rarest comic. He did the cover of this small press indie in 1998. No copies available from mycomicsshop or Mile High. None on eBay (one eBay seller claims it doesn't even exist... but this copy proves otherwise). Likely never distributed beyond family and friends.

DangerRanger3.jpg

I picked up the warehouse stock after the company went defunct. I would guess that the creators must have kept some copies for themselves, but apparently none have been sold on the open market. Unfortunately, they weren't stored very well over the years, so only a small number qualify as truly high grade. I watched while another 10,000 or so copies went off to the city dump! (I wonder what it cost back then to have Neal do the cover for you?)

I guess I should properly say it WAS the rarest Adams comic... though since I control

the supply at present... I could destroy all but, say, 10 copies... hmmmm....

1st Submariner

MoPixFunWkly1.jpg

:cloud9:

My old copy...

MPFW1_1.jpg

Wow! That is awesome. I didn't think there were actually any copies out there? Is the cover a repo or real?

That's an original copy with original cover. It was printed as a giveaway before Marvel Comics #1. Stories about whether it was actually distributed or not are mixed but if it was, it was only in a very limited area as the only copies that exist (about 10 or 11) were all found in the publisher's house after he passed.

The story then had additional pages added when it was printed in Marvel #1.

@ Rockymullins - I agree, one of the greatest story tellers in comics and the B + W showcases his lines much better than the tri-colour colouring in MC #1.