• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wolverine #75 Blue Hologram and getting conned by dste2068 aka Devin Stewart
2 2

111 posts in this topic

Update:

Devin Stewart contact Paypal to have them ask to remove the information posted in this thread. Not sure why Paypal would care to get involved (other than I had opened a case against him earlier, and subsequently paid for my raw book through them).

I love how these guys expend all sorts of effort to hide the truth about them online, but they don't seem to want apply the same efforts to doing honest business with people. :facepalm:

I sincerely hope CGC leaves this thread intact, one - because the guy has very questionable business practices that people should be aware of and two - he has told me that he is a CGC dealer and has his own CGC rep (I'm not sure if that's a big deal or not), and the information in this thread directly relates to CGC.

The recounting of the events in the above post are taken directly from Ebay's email system, and I would be happy to provide them to Mods if they would like to confirm the accuracy of my statements. I stand behind what I have said here 100%.

What the heck is a "CGC rep"? I've had a dealer account for a number of years. I've never had a rep. hm

I dunno. I'd never heard about that either, but he referenced it several times when he was updating me on the slabbed book I bought that was supposedly being reholdered.

How many colors does it require to function the hologram?

I think yellow, orange, green and blue are working together to make the reflections in that hologram.

Yeah, that's the typical range of color. The Blue holos are all blue - no change in color.

I love these production quirk books. They are so much fun to find. Back in the 90s you could see a lot of oddball books in circulation. Now sadly you just don't see as many as shops watch for them more closely now.

Update:

Devin Stewart contact Paypal to have them ask to remove the information posted in this thread. Not sure why Paypal would care to get involved (other than I had opened a case against him earlier, and subsequently paid for my raw book through them).

I love how these guys expend all sorts of effort to hide the truth about them online, but they don't seem to want apply the same efforts to doing honest business with people. :facepalm:

I sincerely hope CGC leaves this thread intact, one - because the guy has very questionable business practices that people should be aware of and two - he has told me that he is a CGC dealer and has his own CGC rep (I'm not sure if that's a big deal or not), and the information in this thread directly relates to CGC.

The recounting of the events in the above post are taken directly from Ebay's email system, and I would be happy to provide them to Mods if they would like to confirm the accuracy of my statements. I stand behind what I have said here 100%.

I feel your pain. I rarely have a problem buying or selling, but had one pop up this year and it is annoying the hell out of me.

Edited by Fastballspecial

How many colors does it require to function the hologram?

I think yellow, orange, green and blue are working together to make the reflections in that hologram.

Yeah, that's the typical range of color. The Blue holos are all blue - no change in color.

I love these production quirk books. They are so much fun to find. Back in the 90s you could see a lot of oddball books in circulation. Now sadly you just don't see as many as shops watch for them more closely now.

I'm sure lower print runs and better production quality hurts more than shops.

Back to the topic at-hand, I'm going to take some pictures this week showing the regular hologram at different angles and the blue hologram at different angles so people can learn to spot the differences. I talked to the guy at recalledcomics.com and he said he'd add it up, so I wanted to provide him some more visual examples.

So is the defect actually in demand? (shrug) (Cuz then I'd have to go through all 100 copies of mine . . . ) :grin:

I think once people see that it's legitimate, it could be in-demand. It's a key issue with a significantly discolored hologram that is noticeably different than the regular one.

The Black Venom error cover is the same kind of issue - a defected book that got past quality control - but enough made it out that they were caught by Marvel and offered to be returned. I think this is what gives it the level of notoriety to command high prices.

The Wolverine #75 Blue is few and far between. I don't know how many got out, but seeing that in 21 years, and 18 of those with an actively-participating internet, they are only being talked about right now - probably not many.

I think what would put the book in demand is if there were enough that would allow a couple hundred people to own them. If myself and only a handful of people have them, I don't think they will get the mainstream focus on them like a Venom error.

If that is the case, it just becomes a simple 'error' copy that is unique only to itself. If there's enough out there to generate interest, I think it could be a lot of fun to collect. The Ebay seller that screwed me on the deal was all about thinking these things were $350+ books, and he'll - no doubt - be hyping it up on Ebay, so who knows. With that kind of advertising, it might get some traction.

I just got a copy of 75 and noticed the hologram was very blue looking. I looked at my other copies and this hologram is clearly more blue where the others are green/ yellow. Not much info out there on them but I knew I had read about a blue hologram somewhere before. I'm going to submit mine it looks pretty nice 9.4 - 9.6 maybe. - Jimmy Mint

I just got a copy of 75 and noticed the hologram was very blue looking. I looked at my other copies and this hologram is clearly more blue where the others are green/ yellow. Not much info out there on them but I knew I had read about a blue hologram somewhere before. I'm going to submit mine it looks pretty nice 9.4 - 9.6 maybe. - Jimmy Mint

:applause:

They should notate it on the label - post up your submission here when you get it! Good luck on a 9.6 :wishluck:

The grader notes are:

"Right Bottom Back Cover Small Crease"

It is so small that I expected a 9.6! I may decide to have it pressed at some point and see if it will go up a grade or two, but for now I will just enjoy having such a rarity!

regards

A

Thanks for the informative thread!

I noticed the same "defect." Not a Wolverine 75, but still cool none the less, especially for less than 50 cents. This copy stays blue no matter the angle.

X-Force%2025.1%20A.jpg

Was rummaging through my scans and I noticed the X-Factor 92 is prominently blue (less than the book above). Will need to go home to see if it changes color at angles or not.X-Factor%2092.4%20A.jpg