• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book Damage in CGC Holders?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, This is my first post, so forgive me if you've seen this topic before.

I have recently been aquiring CGC books (9.2 and above), from eBay, and by sending books in. The first book I sent in was ASM #122. It came back with the LR corner bent toward the back. I know it wasn't that way when I sent it in. I noticed that the book can easily slide around within the holder, and the angle of the bend suggests that it happened when it hit the side of the well.

I have seen the exact same problem on at least three NM books I purchased on eBay. Have any of you had this problem?

It seems to me they should fasten the holder halfway up the left and right sides, as they do on the four corners. The other option would be to place the brace (that they place on some of the king-size books) on every book.

Thanks for your input!

It happened to my GI JOE 14 9.8....the bottom right corner got blunted AFTER grading because they wouldnt have graded it a 9.8 with the corner like that! frown.gif

Thanks! Just venting mostly.

I saw the CGC grader call the holder a 'wedge' in another discussion. I think they should add a wedge to every book. When I pay like I do, I want the thing to be perfect, not sliding and banging around in the capsule.

CGC do use wedges one the bottom and sides if the book slides around excessively. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when though. I have also had books that were very loose in the holder.

Maybe CGC need to rethink holder design, or use the wedges on all books as a precaution.

Will they? Probably not. frown.gif

I have only two books with wedges, and both are king size: Tales of Asgard 1 and House of Mystery 251. Every regular size book I have slides around if you tap it. Since I buy from ebay, most books come from other states, so I'm sure they slide around in transit.

Thanks for your feedback!