• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The PUNISHER LS #1 club.

93 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comiconxion said:

Thought this group would appreciate these pics of the original art from when they were displayed at the Cartoon Art Museum back in 2014... I threw in the posters and the Big Nothing painting as a bonus!

Punisher1_Cover_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Punisher2_Cover_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Punisher3_Cover_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Punisher4_Cover_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Punisher5_Cover_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Punisher_Poster1_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Punisher_Poster2_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Punisher_Big_Nothing_HC_Cover_Painting_Cropped.jpg

Just Amazing, so vibrant. Thanks for sharing. :headbang:

3 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Thought this group would appreciate these pics of the original art from when they were displayed at the Cartoon Art Museum back in 2014... I threw in the posters and the Big Nothing painting as a bonus!

Punisher1_Cover_Painting_Cropped.jpg

First, of all.... holy crow. That's just amazing. Adding all of those to my screensaver.

Second, though, I have to say I like the muted bluish haze of the printed version of #1 better. It really feels like dim back-alley lighting. Now that I've seen the original colors, I wonder if Mike has expressed any displeasure over the colors on the cover for #1?

21 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

First, of all.... holy crow. That's just amazing. Adding all of those to my screensaver.

Second, though, I have to say I like the muted bluish haze of the printed version of #1 better. It really feels like dim back-alley lighting. Now that I've seen the original colors, I wonder if Mike has expressed any displeasure over the colors on the cover for #1?

I think Mike would tell you that the printing at the time the series came out couldn't handle the bright vibrant colors that the paintings had.  He was glad that there were opportunities later to print them the way he originally intended.  The printing on issues #1 & #4 were both pretty washed out compared to the originals.  I think the #1 poster that was printed soon after the mini-series came out was a good example of what the cover should have looked like when printed.  Even what you see above is a digital photo shot off the original.  It's a little brighter than what the original art looks like in person, but it allows you to see the details like the "Spidey Lives" written behind the Punisher's head on the wall.  You can't see that on the printed book.

Here are some foreign printings of Punisher #1 - Greece, France, and Mexico.  Greece reprinted issues #1-4 together and used the cover to #3.  Guess they didn't like issue #5!  And, for the Mexico version, it almost looks like someone painted over the painting - something just looks off!

Punisher_Greece.jpg

Punisher1_France.jpg

Punisher1_Mexico.jpg