• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The PUNISHER LS #1 club.

93 posts in this topic

I've loved this series since I bought it from the comic shop when it came out. If anything, the art inspired me to keep drawing (at the ripe old age of 13).

I've got a nice 9.4 raw copy with a sweet spine (one tick), always looking to upgrade - but for the time being, here it is in all of Zeck's airbrushed glory:

PUNISHER01_FRONT.jpeg

What's better to get; this series or the other series?

Which is pricier?

You mean the Limited vs the on-going? I'd go Limited series every time. Edited by Mr 9.8

The version I have is missing the logo and is very large (20" x 30")...

Punisher1_Cover_zps83dc5f0c.jpg

Seriously though, when you compare the published comic to the original art, you notice just how much of the detail was lost because of the poor quality printing at the time. It happened with all the mini-series covers. At least they later (somewhat) made up for it when they reprinted it as a poster.

Chuck, are you saying you own it? Outstanding. Really beautiful. Zeck's strong drawing is great but to me this really highlights Zimmelman's airbrush work.

30x20 spec is perfect btw. IMO that's the perfect size for an airbrush piece. Big enough to allow for tons of detail but not so big as to be unwieldy.

Yes, the original #1 painting (along with the other 4 LS covers) was on display at the recent Raw Fury exhibit at the Cartoon Art Museum. If you pick up a copy of the museum exhibit book, you can see them all! They are all that size. The first poster was even bigger, but Zeck realized after doing that, it was just too big so he shrunk the next ones down to 20" x 30".

Edited by comiconxion

Yes I've seen your posts about them being on display and I've seen the images. Was just wondering if it was yours as that's what you seemed to indicate above. I certainly wouldn't be surprised as I know you are a big fan. Beautiful work (thumbs u

Yes, I've been lucky enough to own it for almost 15 years now and counting. It truly is a grail piece. I'm glad I was able to share it with fans at the exhibit.

The only Zeck piece I'd ever consider superior would be Cap Annual #8.

Otherwise, this is the king.

Nope, this is the King IMHO. Cap Annual 8 is as good an image, arguably better if one prefers, so that's probably where you're coming from and if so I get your point, but the only thing interesting about that book was the cover. This isn't just a killer Zeck image its also, IMO, the single most recognizable punisher image ever published. Really only ASM 129 is close in that department.

You also have to get out of comic fan mode for a second and think about what the art itself would look like. The cap annual 8 art would be 1/4 of the surface area of this piece (50% of each dimension - 15 by 10 instead of 30 by 20 results in 25% of surface area...) and black and white instead of color.

In person, you can anticipate that this cover would punch you in the face and steal your money. The cap annual 8 art wouldn't have nearly the same presence. It would look like this piece's 1/4 scale lost little brother.

IMHO. Obviously chuck's in a better position to comment.

That said, let's not forget that this piece is as much Zimmelman as Zeck. I know that in comic art we tend to ignore the colorist, but you can't exactly ignore the painter when its a painting!

Oh, and I'll go with #3 being "the" single most recognizable Punisher image.

#1 is magnificent...but for iconographic impact, #3 is the winner.

Cap 321 is better than annual 8 :gossip:

Oh, and I'll go with #3 being "the" single most recognizable Punisher image.

#1 is magnificent...but for iconographic impact, #3 is the winner.

#3 is strong, I'd rank them 1,3,2,5,4. I will forgive you your error. :acclaim:

Nope, this is the King IMHO. Cap Annual #8 is as good an image, arguably better if one prefers, so that's probably where you're coming from and if so I get your point, but the only thing interesting about that book was the cover. This isn't just a killer Zeck image its also, IMO, the single most recognizable punisher image ever published. Really only ASM 129 is close in that department.

You also have to get out of comic fan mode for a second and think about what the art itself would look like. The cap annual 8 art would be 1/4 of the surface area of this piece (50% of each dimension - 15 by 10 instead of 30 by 20 results in 25% of surface area...) and black and white instead of color.

In person, you can anticipate that this cover would punch you in the face and steal your money. The cap annual 8 art wouldn't have nearly the same presence. It would look like this piece's 1/4 scale lost little brother.

It's interesting that you mention the size factor. As great as the Cap Annual #8 cover is, the way it was displayed at the Cartoon Art Museum, it did seemed to get dwarfed next to the Captain America poster that it was displayed next to. That Cap poster is the same size as the Punisher Limited Series paintings.

What people may not know is that there is actually a second "original" of the Cap Annual #8 that we put in display at the Big Wow show that is actually larger than the Punisher paintings. It was the blueline version that Zimelman painted when they created the Cap vs. Wolverine poster.

So, you decide, does size matter when it comes to the making of a classic piece of art.

Raw_Fury_Closeup_zps4db23de6.jpg

Cap_Annual8_Poster_zps923be85d.jpg

Sorry, my goal wasn't to change the subject here on this thread. So, those that have Punisher #1's - post away!