• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Teen Titans
3 3

1,128 posts in this topic

So is BB 54 or BB 60 the first Teen Titans? OPG and CGC list it as BB 54, however........

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Brave_and_the_Bold_Vol_1_60

DC seems to think otherwise. The name "Teen Titans" also never appears in BB 54. Is CGC right on this or is DC?

Edited by blazincomics

My 2c - DC is right. #54 is a team-up, not a team. The team isn't founded until #60.

It's the same as Sub-Mariner #34-35. Yes, it has Hulk, Sub-Mariner and Silver Surfer teaming up. But they aren't the Defenders until Marvel Feature #1, when they gain both Dr. Strange and the name "Defenders." The Teen Titans aren't the Teen Titans until #60, when they gain the team name and are joined by fellow founder Wonder Girl.

There's no confusion over the first Defenders; the Sub-Mariner issues are seen as a prototype. The same should be true for B&B #54 and #60.

Edited by Crimebuster

The title Teen Titans is used on the cover of 60, but not 54. I can't find the thread, but I read somewhere on these boards, if I'm remembering it correctly, that BB 54 has a panel where Batman (?) asks something like "So what are you calling yourselves, the Teen Titans?"

Here's an existing thread on the topic. And another thread with some insights.

300px-Brave_and_the_Bold_54.jpg

300px-Brave_and_the_Bold_60.jpg

BB 54 is a "prototype" issue and BB 60 is the first appearance. If I remember the publishing history correctly BB 60 and the teen titans were launched because of a positive response from readers to BB 54. One can argue which issue is more important. But the team was not formed until after BB54.

Also if one reads the books it is pretty hard to argue against.

This is probably the most telling panel in BB60:

brave-and-the-bold-060-0007_zps5fc26409.jpg

The census #'s for the #60 in 9.2 or better are absolutely ridiculous. It looks like there are <70 copies on the census period.

After reading the other threads, I have yet to see even one poster defend the BB 54. I know OPG is set in its ways, but CGC is the kingmaker.

Do you think they would side with OPG or with DC themselves in this instance?

BB 54 is a "prototype" issue and BB 60 is the first appearance. If I remember the publishing history correctly BB 60 and the teen titans were launched because of a positive response from readers to BB 54. One can argue which issue is more important. But the team was not formed until after BB54.

That settles it for me. He states that after the events of 54 they called themselves the Teen Titans.

Thanks, that's the panel I was (misa)remembering.

So is BB 54 or BB 60 the first Teen Titans? OPG and CGC list it as BB 54, however........

DC seems to think otherwise. The name "Teen Titans" also never appears in BB 54. Is CGC right on this or is DC?

When/where did DC say otherwise? (shrug)

This issue is the first canonical appearance of the Teen Titans. Some sources credit Brave and the Bold #54 as the first appearance of the Titans, but they are not identified as the Teen Titans at that time. Since this is the first actual appearance of the Titans as a group, Wonder Girl may be considered as founding member rather than a recruit.

Although I guess that's not actually from DC.

See Ant-Man...

This issue is the first canonical appearance of the Teen Titans. Some sources credit Brave and the Bold #54 as the first appearance of the Titans, but they are not identified as the Teen Titans at that time. Since this is the first actual appearance of the Titans as a group, Wonder Girl may be considered as founding member rather than a recruit.

Wow. There's tens of thousands of comics on that DC wikia. Is this orchestrated by a guy that has literally dedicated his life to documenting every DC comic ever printed along with its contents or is it something monitored by a represent the company itself? Either way, I think it would be hard to debate against the BB 60.

Wow. There's tens of thousands of comics on that DC wikia. Is this orchestrated by a guy that has literally dedicated his life to documenting every DC comic ever printed along with its contents or is it something monitored by a represent the company itself? Either way, I think it would be hard to debate against the BB 60.

Do you seriously not understand wiki sites?

So who is it compiling vast amounts of data on each individual comic book? Why isnt BB 54 listed as the 1st app versus 60? Are you saying DC has no input here whatsoever? Please enlighten me.

The content is all from contributors. You can edit/contribute to it if you want. That's how wikis work. Chances are it's 100% unaffiliated with DC Comics.