• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Kane Original?

49 posts in this topic

imagejpg1_zps6212c69c.jpg

Does anyone have an opinion ion about whether this could be authentic? It's supposed to be an original marker on illustration board by Bob Kane. I appreciate any input. My first time using this board and posting a photo, sorry if the pic is too big!

I'm not an expert but there seems to be something off in the perspective of the characters. Hopefully I am wrong, however there could have been circumstances why they are off namely a quick sketch or even another artist. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Possible, but unlikely. Batman first used the yellow ellipse in 1964, and Bob Kane retired from DC in 1966. The design of Catwoman looks more like a 1970s design as well. Unless DC was allowing Bob Kane to sell sketches of their characters after he retired, I'd be inclined to say this was a forgery.

Possible, but unlikely. Batman first used the yellow ellipse in 1964, and Bob Kane retired from DC in 1966. The design of Catwoman looks more like a 1970s design as well. Unless DC was allowing Bob Kane to sell sketches of their characters after he retired, I'd be inclined to say this was a forgery.

err, what now? I don't know if it is fake or not, but I don't think sketches of characters after he retired is a sign of forgery.

Maivn

To the OP: Kane rarely drew anything, particularly commissions like this. There are a few that people did indeed watch him draw, and they were usually pretty simple marker head shots. But you should treat all Kane stuff like it's an authorized knockoff. He was Kostabi years before there was a Kostabi.

Kane believed that if he hired someone to draw something for him, it was the same as if he drew it himself.

It's as simple as that.

So, it might be real. Stranger things have happened. But knowing how he approached his "art", do you want to spend the money on it?

I wouldn't.

Kane believed that if he hired someone to draw something for him, it was the same as if he drew it himself.

It's as simple as that.

So, it might be real. Stranger things have happened. But knowing how he approached his "art", do you want to spend the money on it?

I wouldn't.

Yeah, this. "Fake" is the wrong word, it's ghosted.

It's as simple as that.

I wouldn't.

Yeah, this. "Fake" is the wrong word, it's ghosted.

Could be the 'ghost of Bob Kane come back to haunt OA collectors . . . hm

Did you receive any provenance with the piece? Any background on the piece would help authenticate it. (what gallery was it sold through, a chain of ownership)

I have a Catwoman by Kane drawn in the 80s (or ghosted) but to me - it's as official as it can get with Kane.

Also, is there really proof that any finished Bob Kane commissions were recently created fakes? The Kane sketches on ebay (especially from GALLERY ON BAUM) are lower end pieces.

This guy in particular, has several questionable pieces by other artists - that puts his (tightly drawn) Bob Kane into question.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1152182&GSub=159478