• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British sketch cover artist Gary Parkin - swipe or not?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Thanks! You all have saved me from purchasing. It’s on eBay right now. Like the concept and merging of the characters but it just looked off or familiar to me. 

It is a horrible drawing and I am glad you are not buying it.

The Stan Lee part of the page is swiped from this

Image1.jpg

19 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Image1.jpg

19 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

The Mickey Mouse is swiped from a Disney gift card, same curve to the body and position of the arm/hand

Mickey.png

Wow! The originals are so much better. Thanks for the source pictures.

22 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Image1.jpg

Not too pleased to see it’s copied from an In Memoriam illustration.

While browsing that well-known auction site, I saw a WoWo #750 Sketch Edition drawn by the afore mentioned artist. I liked it, and bought it (I bought it BECAUSE I liked it). I don't remember what I paid, but I do recall thinking it was a bargain for "original art". I knew NOTHING about the copying of others' work - I have only found this thread today while looking for references to the artist's work. And there is a certain irony here.... I wrote to the artist saying that he should consider submitting his work to CGC for grading as Signature Series. "You'll likely be able to sell it for more..." I recall expressing. His reply thanked me for my comment, but said that he was OK selling as he was. It did surprise me at the time.

Now I submitted that comic to CGC for grading in November 2020 and it is its way back to me now (rightly) graded with a green label (NAME AND SKETCH WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER). From liking the art, it will now feel like a low-point of my collection. Should I keep it? Sell it? Destroy it? I don't know yet, it's still not in my possession.

I am an author. I would be irritated (or annoyed) if people were using my work without permission and without attributing it to me. This is a civil matter, and ultimately it is for a creator to take action. I register my works with an international royalties collections company. I can provide the details of anyone is interested (please DM me).

Stephen

If it brings you no joy, sell it.  I wouldn't recommend destroying it unless that destructive act will bring you joy.  Then destroy away!

For me, this is a hobby and I don't want to devote any part of my spare time to something that might stir up bad thoughts or feelings.  If I have a bad experience with a creator or a seller, I will often sell the item as I have a hard time separating the item from the experience.

It cuts both ways, though.  I have some items that I have no plans on ever selling.  It's not because I love the item that much.  It's more due to the fact that the item reminds me of that positive experience I had with either a seller or a creator.