• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

I couldn’t agree more Eric. You’re right about 340-380. There are some stories I love prior to those numbers, but it just really got awesome starting with the Computo storyline. Is it also the first two parter?

adv340.jpg

adv341.jpg

Edited by Silver

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think they were miles and away some of the best storytelling DC had in the 60's.  Shooter, and Bridwell, and even Siegel, who did the Computo 2-parter that I think kicks off the classic Adventure run of 340-380, wound up merging some of the still new Marvel sensibility to the classic DC style.  Throw in Curt Swan as the primary artist, set the whole thing in the future so you have some freedom to actually change things, have Superboy as just a single member of a large group of heroes so he doesn't totally distort the stories completely around himself but can still play on the Superman mythos.  Tell stories that take two whole issues at a point where 2 or 3 stories per issue was common, so they feel massive and epic.  And you wind up with a run with classic story after classic story after classic story.  I don't think anybody's even mentioned the LSV story in 371-372 yet, another favorite of mine; and we've listed a LOT of amazing stories from the run already.

Not a lot I can say in response to this except (thumbsu

Yet another one I would probably upgrade. Legion was one of the first sets I collected and I wasn’t as grade conscientious. I have some nice issues, but probably not a lot of 9.4s and not very many graded. 

Heres a early one, nice, but no 9.4.The famous Super-hombre issue

adv304.jpg

Edited by Silver

36 minutes ago, Silver said:

Yet another one I would probably upgrade. Legion was one of the first sets I collected and I wasn’t as grade conscientious. I have some nice issues, but probably not a lot of 9.4s and not very many graded. 

Heres a early one, nice, but no 9.4.The famous Super-hombre issue

adv304.jpg

Muy bueno

Great to see so many of these classic issues.

A favorite single issue story must be #348. Back in 1967 I read this in school but never owned a copy. For some reason Adventure Comics in the middle to late #340s are hard to find in high grade and this issue is no exception. 

This tale sees the legionnaires being eliminated in turn by the mysterious Dr Regulus, who turns out to be responsible for one of their super powers. And he is not a happy man.

This is a beautifully constructed story with tremendous artwork and an open ending. As a further interest, in this story Invisible Kid becomes leader of the Legion. Maybe not the easiest member to find to be totally suited to the role! 

AdventureComics348.jpg

adventure348-01.jpg

By 1964 DC had no qualms about promoting the LOSH in any of the Superman family titles. Even when the Legion did not actually appear.

Lois Lane 47 has a Legion aura to it but they only appear in an imaginary aspect.

Jimmy Olsen 77 sees Jimmy wearing a duplicate Colossal Boy costume presented to him on his honorary membership. But that is only the start of the story...

JO77.jpg

LoisLane47.jpg

Edited by steelcity

Some member of the Legion appeared to have fairly happy lives while other found themselves intertwined with tragedy. Lightning Lad certainly had his share of woe, though he was not the only one.

Adventure Comics 312 has a stunning cover rich in dark tones. And an equally dark story. Every Legion collector knows how difficult this book is. There is added interest in the cover at least in that it was redrawn for a giant issue in 1971, shown here by the Twin Cities copy.

This act of cover duplication adds some importance to the image and though unusual to see, DC did publish books with cover recreations during the early 1970s.

Adventure312.jpg

Adventure403 Twin Cities.jpg

adv312.jpg

5 hours ago, Silver said:

I couldn’t agree more Eric. You’re right about 340-380. There are some stories I love prior to those numbers, but it just really got awesome starting with the Computo storyline. Is it also the first two parter?

adv340.jpg

adv341.jpg

It's not, just off the top of my head there's the Dynamo Boy story in 330-331 and Starfinger in 335-336.

35 minutes ago, Silver said:

Right before the 312 and just as hard to get, would so love a upgrade to a 9.2/4 if one ever came up, love this cover!

Yep, have never been able to find a NM copy of this book.  The raw White Mountain copy was auctioned off on eBay many many years ago, but the consignor refused to give a grade.  He would only say it was the WM copy, as if that answered all questions, which unfortunately was the attitude back in the day of some dealers selling Mile Highs and White Mountains.   

Here's #305, also an issue not commonly seen in high grade, so not surprisingly, it's a Toth. 

My collection (not just Adventure) would've had so many more holes if not for the Toth collection.  The scans really don't do justice how fresh the books look in person.

adventure 305.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rosland said:

This issue also has a classic cover (for its time at least). Gotta love the 60's...

AC-332-94.jpg

Yeah, probably the most bizarre cover in the entire run!

One of my favorite comics of all time. My first LSH story and first Teen Titans. Bought one of these off the rack at 7-11, this and a slurpee for 75 cents. I loved the Super Moby  of Space story. I love that BB 54 story even more. The original covers had me salivating for original books. I was 11 years old, this book was my tipping point.

dc21a.jpg

dc21b.jpg

Edited by Silver

2 hours ago, Rosland said:

Love your Adventures, Tim! Any story on why you collected them in the first place?

Erik

Thanks!  I discovered the Legion during the Dave Cockrum-then-Mike Grell run, and just loved them.  Then I got some Adventure back issues during the Jim Shooter era, which were such great stories (as others here have mentioned), and then just started collecting all of their appearances.  When I found out later that Shooter was just a kid, literally, when he wrote those stories, I was blown away.