• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Silver said:

One of my favorite comics of all time. My first LSH story and first Teen Titans. Bought one of these off the rack at 7-11, this and a slurpee for 75 cents. I loved the Super Moby  of Space story. I love that BB 54 story even more. The original covers had me salivating for original books. I was 11 years old, this book was my tipping point.

dc21a.jpg

dc21b.jpg

Beautiful book!  How many of us got into SA DC through the 100-page reprints? :applause:

While the cover to 306 is not as good as a LSH cover, the story is pretty cool with the first Substitute heroes. I always like their stories personally. Here is another early Legion cover. I bought this at a SDCC probably 20 years ago.

adv307.jpg

2 hours ago, Silver said:

While the cover to 306 is not as good as a LSH cover, the story is pretty cool with the first Substitute heroes. I always like their stories personally. Here is another early Legion cover. I bought this at a SDCC probably 20 years ago.

adv307.jpg

I also bought a copy of Adventure 307 at SDCC, mine in 1995.

My first ever CGC book was a copy of Batman 59. The problem I always had was that in collecting so many titles I could never focus on any one or even a few. I remember my early buys more clearly today than the books I bought, say, ten years ago when the CGC buying experience was not so new.

Here is another early graded book. Some very clean books from all titles quickly showed up in the early days.

AdventureComics337.jpg

Edited by steelcity

Around 1964, I was looking at a Legion comic when my Dad scooted up on the floor next to me. His first reaction was what's up with all the boys wearing pink and purple?

I was going into first grade and don't have an awful lot of memories of my Father from that time as he was away most of the time.

2 hours ago, steelcity said:

After Adventure 300 non Legion covers became less frequent. A few in the 300s and 310s but issue 327 was to be the last purely Superboy cover. 

AdventureComics327-Fi.jpg

For some reason they went with a cover for the reprint story.  I sometimes think something weird happened behind the scenes with that issue for that to happen.

56 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

For some reason they went with a cover for the reprint story.  I sometimes think something weird happened behind the scenes with that issue for that to happen.

For whatever reason they did not seem to have a Legion cover prepared.

9 hours ago, steelcity said:

Looking back to the early days of CGC grading it was such an exciting time. Many issues being graded for the first time and a sense of wonder over what was going to turn up for sale.

My copy of Adventure 300 stood alone at the top of the first census in 2001 and remained so for a long time. Today it barely registers in the top ten copies. I have never tried to upgrade this copy because whenever I see it I get just a flicker of the excitement from those days. Besides, it remains just as impressive as ever. I am sure that one day someone will press and regrade this copy but for me it has to keep the old label.

adv300.jpg

That's a really nice copy.

It's easy to detect my posting patterns, so you guys keep front-running me!  :baiting:

Anyways, here's my #307.  It's a Toth.  It's actually unfortunate that Heritage decided to crank up the brightness on a lot of the scans for the Toth Adventures, because they really do the books a disservice by losing the deep lustre of the colors.

adventure 307.jpg

Edited by tth2

So as I've been posting the various Toths, I thought I'd mention that one thing that's always struck me about collecting Adventures was the almost complete lack of pedigrees.

Of the early issues, my #247 is a Bethlehem, and there's also a Mohawk copy.  But other than seeing a couple of raw White Mountains years ago, there's really almost nothing else among the early issues. 

Of the pedigrees with bigger DC representation, there are no Western Penns that I've ever seen (although of course they could've been broken up before they were identified as a pedigree), very few Pacific Coasts (I'll be posting one later), no Massachusetts, no Bethlehems (other than the #247) and surprisingly few WMs considering the sci-fi-ish themes of a lot of Legions.  I didn't follow the Savannahs very closely when they came out so can't remember if there were Legions in there.  Twin Cities, a newer pedigree, had some issues, including one I'll post later, but I seem to remember that they seemed underrepresented in that collection too.        

I've always wondered if the #247 9.6 was a WM, really have no idea. The Mohawk is a 9.2.

I've seen some Northlands and Rocky Mountains go by over the years, but yeah, there is a huge lack of peds here. 

Wonder if they don't exist, or whether collectors are sitting on raw piles of copies somewhere...

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Of the early issues, my #247 is a Bethlehem, and there's also a Mohawk copy.  But other than seeing a couple of raw White Mountains years ago, there's really almost nothing else among the early issues. 

Of the pedigrees with bigger DC representation, there are no Western Penns that I've ever seen (although of course they could've been broken up before they were identified as a pedigree), very few Pacific Coasts (I'll be posting one later), no Massachusetts, no Bethlehems (other than the #247) and surprisingly few WMs considering the sci-fi-ish themes of a lot of Legions.  I didn't follow the Savannahs very closely when they came out so can't remember if there were Legions in there.  Twin Cities, a newer pedigree, had some issues, including one I'll post later, but I seem to remember that they seemed underrepresented in that collection too.        

2802141047271.jpg

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

So as I've been posting the various Toths, I thought I'd mention that one thing that's always struck me about collecting Adventures was the almost complete lack of pedigrees.

There are Adventure Comics from the Massachusetts pedigree. I bought some from Marnin Rosenberg back in 1997/98 along with Detective, Superman and World’s Finest. The collection was too early to be CGC graded though some were graded in 2000/01 without all being noted as Mass.copies on the label. My Adventure 300 was bought from Marnin in 2001, CGC graded and it had a green circular sticker on the outside of the case so I have assumed it is a Mass. copy. No certificates were issued with any of my books from the collection. As far as I know only a sticker on the Mylar ever indicated a book to be Massachusetts. Someone needs to ask Marnin. I lost contact with him a long time ago.

Edited by steelcity