• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Rosland said:

So if you would just sell me your Adventures, I'd have a hell of a collection! :idea:

AC-318-94.jpg

Very nice copy. One of my favourites. Like your 316 too. Is your Adventure collection based on the LOSH or does it extend to earlier books too?

11 hours ago, Silver said:

Now I know why high grade Adventures have been going up in price so much...?

Truth is, Danny, most of us - you and me included - are happy to settles for nice raw copies we bought last century. My 318 is raw but pretty and I could have it CGC graded though the result could be disappointing.

Edited by steelcity

Legion covers on Adventure Comics prior to #300 are very special. The vivid burnt orange background on Sun Boy's debut in #290 is very striking indeed. This issue is fairly easy to find in high grade, even in CGC 9.4.

I bought a CGC 9.4 copy back in 2004 but somehow never liked it as much as the raw copy I bought many years earlier (included below). Recently I saw a CGC 8.5 with white pages and rich colors and thought that should be what my CGC 9.4 ought to look like so I bought it.

Adventure #293 is one of the very best Legion covers. Again, this book is not hard to find in high grade. I am more than pleased with the CGC 9.4 copy Stephen Fishler found for my collection in 2005. I have not been tempted to upgrade. My first CGC copy was an 8.5 off ebay. After I bought that copy my good pal Silver made contact with me for the first time, by email. In those days my ebay ID was my email address. He wanted to ask why I had paid so much for a VF+? Pure lack of common sense, of course.

So that is the origin of how Silver and I first "met" though we have never actually have.

AdventureComics290.jpg

Adventure290.jpg

Adventure293.jpg

AdventureComics290-1.jpg

Edited by steelcity

15 hours ago, steelcity said:

Very nice copy. One of my favourites. Like your 316 too. Is your Adventure collection based on the LOSH or does it extend to earlier books too?

I'm just an old Legion fan. Love the old covers and then the Shooter stories.

7 hours ago, Rosland said:

I'm just an old Legion fan. Love the old covers and then the Shooter stories.

Ever since I bought Gerber’s Photo Journals in 1990 I have based a lot of my comic book collecting on covers. Adventure Comics covers generally are very appealing. The Shooter stories are also my most memorable LOSH tales.