• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

A few more Legion appearances other than Adventure Comics.

Action 285 is the 12th Legion appearance and has always been an impressive wall book. About ten years ago demand suddenly spiked with huge prices being paid for nice copies. I still don't know what created the sudden demand but just as quickly demand calmed down. Always a great cover to see,

Action 309 with its iconic cover was published just after Christmas 1963. JFK made several appearances in DC books in the early 1960s. This is perhaps the best known, just over a month after his death. 

DC acknowledged his passing in Superman 170's  story "Superman's Mission for President Kennedy" published May 1964. Scan included, a little out of context for the thread.

Action 285a.jpg

Action310w.jpg

Superman170.jpg

1 hour ago, Silver said:

I think Action 285 has always been a great book, can you imagine owning that original cover? It’s just awesome! The Supergirl coming out story was kind of a big deal at the time since she was hidden to the public as “Superman’s secret weapon”. 

Action Comics 285 is a book that even on first glance everyone knows is something special.

Another quick sidestep to feature Legionnaires in other titles then Adventure. They got around, turning up more and more as their popularity grew. 

Ultra Boy made his first appearance in Superboy 98. The cover does give the impression that Smallville exists in a quiet bygone era with the single vintage car in the distance.

Ultra Boy is prominent once more on the cover of Superboy 117 as the Legionnaires are experiencing a certain amount of discord.

Superboy98ba.jpg

Superboy117a.jpg

Although not a Legion issue, Superboy 121 features one of those wonderful time globes that we would all love to own. This one originates on Krypton. 

DC books often had misleading covers with a hero being treated badly or show some shocking, seemingly irreversible disaster. A cunning or not so cunning explanation always lay within the pages inside. In a refreshing lack of deception this really is Jor-El.

Superboy 121's clean and eye catching cover must have helped it fly off the spinner racks.

Superboy121.jpg

All of the Krypton stuff played heavily into all the Superman books of the 60’s. I personally like all of those books so I imagine when they were new they were popular. 

I got my copy of Superboy 98 in the 1980’s at the San Diego comic con, it was always a favorite issue of mine. I think it is reminiscent of Superboy #60

sb60.jpg