• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

Clark was not always kind to his "big brother" Bob. Right from Lar Gand's (I wonder if DC got that name from Garland?) arrival on earth Superboy tended to judge him with suspicion. Mon-El's thousand years in the Phantom Zone was a direct consequence of Clark's mistrust yet even though he had many long years to evaluate his harsh treatment Mon-El never appeared to harbor ill will towards Superboy.

Mon-El was permanently released from his torment in Adventure 305. After that you would think Clark would do all he could to try to help Bob and make him feel appreciated. Well, brothers will always fight.

Adventure328.jpg

Adventure305.jpg

8 minutes ago, Silver said:

All of the Krypton stuff played heavily into all the Superman books of the 60’s. I personally like all of those books so I imagine when they were new they were popular. 

I got my copy of Superboy 98 in the 1980’s at the San Diego comic con, it was always a favorite issue of mine. I think it is reminiscent of Superboy #60

sb60.jpg

The cover of Superboy 98 does have a similar look to that of Superboy 60. The background on #60 is very interesting. Superboy 60 is one of the first books I bought at a comic show back in the 1980s and also one of the first Superboy title books I bought CGC graded. I have kept both.

5 hours ago, steelcity said:

Although not a Legion issue, Superboy 121 features one of those wonderful time globes that we would all love to own. This one originates on Krypton. 

DC books often had misleading covers with a hero being treated badly or show some shocking, seemingly irreversible disaster. A cunning or not so cunning explanation always lay within the pages inside. In a refreshing lack of deception this really is Jor-El.

Superboy 121's clean and eye catching cover must have helped it fly off the spinner racks.

Superboy121.jpg

That's why I love early SA DCs.  They all feature covers that make you go "What the... !" and want to buy the book to see out how our hero gets out of the predicament.

Edited by tth2

On 8/9/2018 at 12:04 AM, Aman619 said:

Lol. No I like Boring. He had a quirky style, but his flying walking Superman was always very powerfully drawn.  But his women were similar to Ditko in that they all looked similar, and a bit weird.  

I meant Forte, the Legion artist in the 300s.  

Me, too. I loved Boring Supes!

Let’s not lose this thread again, lots of Legion love left to give.

Dont know if anyone posted this one yet, if so, sorry for the dupe.

In the  early days of collecting the Legion the key issues were always the ones before Adventure Comics 300, usually those are what collectors focused on. This one introduces Star Boy.  Oddly enough though the cover focuses more on Lana laying in the new legion member. It seems like almost every early Legion appearance had another addition to the team 

B6D04E88-1351-45B0-90CA-A5B81EB8752D.jpeg

17 hours ago, Silver said:

Let’s not lose this thread again, lots of Legion love left to give.

Dont know if anyone posted this one yet, if so, sorry for the dupe.

In the  early days of collecting the Legion the key issues were always the ones before Adventure Comics 300, usually those are what collectors focused on. This one introduces Star Boy.  Oddly enough though the cover focuses more on Lana laying in the new legion member. It seems like almost every early Legion appearance had another addition to the team 

B6D04E88-1351-45B0-90CA-A5B81EB8752D.jpeg

5th Legion and a difficult book in high grade. Very nice copy!