• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

Don't have an Adventure 247, but how about Legion appearances (according to Overstreet) 2-10?

Thank you! A very good summation indeed, and very useful to many of us other board members as well.

:applause:

Thanks. Nobody online seems to agree for a chronology, so I had to dig through Overstreet. Even that wasn't complete, since he has two books listed as 15th (same month Superman and Action), no 14th, and stops numbering them after 16th. So I just had to guess based on publication dates for 17-20.

Since I know you like the Krypto covers, here's a few for you:

Adventure310_zps54744e47.jpg

Adventure322_zpsfe8d721f.jpg

Superboy147_zpsfea62164.jpg

Wow! These are some great books guys!

Oh man, they're slaying me! Steelcity, tth2 and Silver are posting so many great comics that I'm drooling on my keyboard.

:o

Oh, man, it's just like high school, the pretty girls get all the attention!

lol

Okay, while not Silver Age exactly, it's a big point in the Legion history, and not a book I see posted around here very often. Too big for my scanner, so had to take a picture:

SuperboyandLegionC-55_zpsc71aa816.jpg

Like I said in my earlier posting, I am in the process of compiling a complete index of all legion-related appearances. There is currently NO SUCH LIST. Overstreet is certainly not complete, and neither are resources like Legion wiki or any other index that's around. Trust me, I know! :)

https://www.facebook.com/BitsOfLegionnaireBusiness/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

This fairly early Legion appearance is tough in high grade as the background shows even the tiniest of flaws.

7f10884a-06a1-4050-8fa5-7b1edbefaf4e_zps09b7d300.jpg

Let's compare flaws. Here's a scan of my copy:

18-05-2011110422PM.jpg

My buddy's older brother had a dog-eared copy, and for years thereafter the name Antonino Rocca had a magical connotation for me right up there with that of Buddy Rogers.

:cool:

The 3rd Legion cover with its Sun Boy theme also benefits from the wonderfully burnt orange tones. This must have looked very tempting on the spinner rack!

AdventureComics290-1.jpg

Still looks pretty tempting to me today!

:)

Okay, while not Silver Age exactly, it's a big point in the Legion history, and not a book I see posted around here very often. Too big for my scanner, so had to take a picture:

SuperboyandLegionC-55_zpsc71aa816.jpg

Great cover art by Mike Grell!

:luhv:

Like I said in my earlier posting, I am in the process of compiling a complete index of all legion-related appearances. There is currently NO SUCH LIST. Overstreet is certainly not complete, and neither are resources like Legion wiki or any other index that's around. Trust me, I know! :)

What do you think of these?

3861292-img_losh1.jpg

???

What do you think of these?

3861292-img_losh1.jpg

???

He likely believes them to be useful, but not complete, since his stated goal includes "all the rare and obscure Legion-related items (including books with cameos, mere mentions or references to the group, merchandise, accessories, etc)." He even mentions wrapping paper and a DVD.

Wow! These are some great books guys!

Oh man, they're slaying me! Steelcity, tth2 and Silver are posting so many great comics that I'm drooling on my keyboard.

You've also got a lot of very nice books!

Oh, man, it's just like high school, the pretty girls get all the attention!

lol

securedownload_zpsccab3458.jpg

You think?

:insane:

Edited by Hepcat

Here then are scans of five more of my Adventure Comics:

09-05-201375708PM_zpsf0634030.jpg

19-12-2011120718AM.jpg

Oct20003_zpsabfa72b3.jpg

Up10012_zpsdb25582a.jpg

Up10014_zps6f4b90be.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of my most recent scans though. Up until a year ago last September I had a Dell Vostro 1720 laptop with a Vista Business operating system and a Dell V105 copier/printer with which I was getting scans that captured the full magnificence of my comics.

Then when my Dell laptop died just over a year ago, I replaced it with a Hewlett Packard Envy laptop with a Windows 8.1 operating system. For three or four months thereafter I was getting scans with the same resolution and brightness but slightly smaller in size. Then my Dell V105 copier decided it no longer wanted to continue mating with my new Hewlett Packard laptop. I therefore replaced it with a new Hewlett Packard 1513 copier/printer. My scans are now back to full size but I've lost brightness!

:(

I posted my "personal grail" story previously in the Adventure Comics thread, but figured I'd memorialize it here in the official Legion thread.... :P

While I of course someday dream of owning a 247 and various other early Legion keys, my own most personal beloved issues came from this DC digest that came out in the early 80s:

DCBlueRibbonDigest8.jpg

This little book launched my love for this hobby when I was just a kid -- Shadow Lass introduced, the Fatal Five, Dark Circle invasion, and Karate Kid kicking their Circle , destruction of the Legion HQ.....

The Legion remains my absolute favorite group and series to this day, much more so the classic characters than all of the reboot versions. In any event, for whatever reason, it never occurred to me that I could some day own the original issues from the digest until a few years back. Once I did though, I knew I needed some of the best copies around to round out my collection of this one very personal corner of my collection. Here are the main three issues from that digest:

AdventureComics365.jpg

AdventureComics366frontcover.jpg

Adventure367front_zpsc028d2b8.jpg

My favorite character from the LoSH was Karate Kid. Favorite villains were the Fatal Five. So, I had to add those first appearances to my collection as well:

Adventure34694front2_zps63d1964b.jpg

Adventure352front_zps3070745a.jpg

While the classic Legion characters will always be my favorite ones by far, I did feel compelled to put together this personal bind from the Legionnaires / Lost Legion years. At the time, these issues were fairly difficult to find, and were not in any trade format. So I said screw it, let me just make my own....

LegionLostbind.jpg

Edited by dane323

While the classic Legion characters will always be my favorite ones by far, I did feel compelled to put together this personal bind from the Legionnaires / Lost Legion years. At the time, these issues were fairly difficult to find, and were not in any trade format. So I said screw it, let me just make my own....

LegionLostbind.jpg

This is beyond awesome!!! (worship)

LegionLostbind.jpg

:golfclap: