• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think I just got ripped off on ebay

221 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I don't see a result in this thread, so nothing came of it other than his being like Johnny Appleseed and sowing the seeds of discord. :sumo:

The cup is half full...., lol

22 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I don't think it's Dupcak. Here's an old thread with info.

Just read a few of the replies......I'm totally in agreement with the replies that I read. This guy or these people seem to buy low to mid grade and restored slabbed books...…….. remove them from the slab and sell them as higher grades. But, what I notice with them is that they never provide an exact grade.....only using words like *High Grade* or *Excellent* so that way they can't be held accountable for a particular grade...….these people are real crooks...smh

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Because people don't complain. For a variety of reasons, people just choose not to complain about all sorts of things. It's not worth their time, they don't want to burn a bridge, they don't want to be thought of as a complainer, they don't want people complaining about them (that's the big one.)

Something usually has to be realllly wrong for most people to complain. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "you're the first/only person to complain!", I'd be rich....and yet, I have no doubt that's absolutely true.

You're exactly right...….I myself fall firmly into that category. 

21 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

Where exactly are you pulling this number from for every 1 negative there are 5-10 that just decided it wasn’t worth it? These “articles” you provided aren’t really specific to high-dollar comic books, or even comic books at all or even eBay for that matter. 

If you look at this seller’s recent sales these are books like Hulk 181and GS X-Men 1 These aren’t items that aren’t “worth the time” to complain for most people if you are ripping them off. This is why making blanket statements isn’t a good idea. If you told me a seller who only sells dollar bin books on eBay had a lot of people who didn’t feel it was worth their time to reply I’d tend to agree a bit more. It’s often not worth my time to leave a negative on a book I paid a dollar for, or file for a return, or leave a positive review for that matter. But if you paid 1500 for a Hulk 181 like this seller recently sold and it had resto which was the claim for this seller - that he sold books as unrestored books that actually had restoration, well you can bet most people would in fact complain. 

Totally agree with you on that one......sometimes it's just not worth it.....even though it only takes a simple click of your mouse.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:
9 hours ago, kav said:

what is negative feedback if not a 'complaint on ebay'?

They don't give negative feedback. They email me, I fix the problem, and then they leave the positive feedback.

I'll remember to do better next time.

3 minutes ago, greggy said:
27 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'll remember to do better next time.

:baiting:

(tsk)

On 8/7/2019 at 8:17 PM, FlyingDonut said:

They don't give negative feedback. They email me, I fix the problem, and then they leave the positive feedback.

I rarely get any feedback at all as a seller anymore. As a buyer I always leave feedback in the following manner.

1.) If I get an accurate product in a professional manner, positive. 

2.) If I have a problem and the seller is professional about it either nothing or possibly even a positive.

3.) If I have a problem and the seller, is rude, drags their heels, or causes me grief, usually a strongly worded neutral.

4.) If I have a problem and the seller is insulting, uses bad language, is vengeful  tries to make me pay return postage for their screw up, usually a negative. 

I have left very few negatives because I usually end up filing with PayPal. Forcing a seller to pay the postage and refund in a prompt manner. 

I don’t know about most of you, but Ebay has pretty much become a cesspool lately. Selling is OK, no problems, returns or hassle but results are very mixed. Decent results on some items but dispointing results on many. I usually start out with a minimal opening bid and I let it ride. No funny stuff like pimping, or “help” to drive up prices. 

As a buyer, another story. I am an advanced collector and am very familiar with market prices. I expect to have to pay up well to get the stuff I want. Lately, it doesn’t seem to matter what I bid, I am mostly always outbid. Often by one bid.

When I am luckily enough to be the high bidder, I am, more often than not, disappointed with what I end up with. Out of my last 6 “wins” (I don’t really call them wins because I didn’t really win anything, just the fool who bid the most), I had 2 accurate books. The other 4 were a fail. 

1.) missing a centerfold

2.) very obvious color touch in hand. ( not visible in photo)

3.) very obvious married book. Very even cover hang and two extra staples in center.

4.) a book I knew was lower grade with a little water damage. When I opened the cover is was full of very obvious black mold. 

I check out the sellers carefully. Feedback, length of time on the site, weather or not they often sell comics and how they grade or “skirt the issue”. Do they offer returns? Their photos. If anything looks remotely sketchy, I pass quickly no matter how bad I want it. 

Should I have to send them a “checklist” in order to bid. Is it really MY responsibility? 

eBay is a cesspool. These days, I don’t have a lot of options. Obviously no shows, I rarely use the big auction houses for a number of reasons, web sites are usually a waste of time. Anything I want is either not available or sold immediately. Flea markets, antique stores and estate sales are also shut down here. About the only place left is right here on the boards, private collectors or word of mouth. 

Glad, I am “old”, bought a lot of collection a long time ago and hung on to it...

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I can’t remember the last time I bought a raw book on EBay.  Most of my raw purchases happen here in our own marketplace.  I’ve received a bunch of overgraded books.   I rarely complain. I just don’t buy from those sellers again.(shrug)

I like to read my books so unless I am buying a slab mostly for just the cover or something very pricey, slabs are not an option. 

I buy lower grade books on eBay knowing they are lower grade at fair prices. If I really love them, I might upgrade. I just expect to get what I paid for. 

eBay was a goldmine for at least a decade, and was my primary source for material. I noticed a change in late 2016 and the quality/price of offerings has deteriorated steadily since then. It's to the point where I no longer even look, and I haven't bought a comic off of there in exactly a month. I am not exaggerating when I say the last time I went a month without buying a comic on eBay was in 2003. It's that bad. 

30 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I like to read my books so unless I am buying a slab mostly for just the cover or something very pricey, slabs are not an option. 

I buy lower grade books on eBay knowing they are lower grade at fair prices. If I really love them, I might upgrade. I just expect to get what I paid for. 

For the most part, I’m looking for NM copies of the books I collect.  Maybe I’m naive, but I expect sellers here to know what NM looks like.