• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think I just got ripped off on ebay

221 posts in this topic

I would suggest stop trying to argue with kav. He's not ever going to say "huh...you know, you make a good point! I've reconsidered."

:roflmao:

But I've enjoyed his posts over time - as I have yours! :foryou:

You didn't just equate me and kav, did you...?

I'm offended.

I shall now compose an article for submission to Listverse.

Not at all. Kav is the enthusiastic youngster that reminds me of myself (at times) when I was a lot younger.

You're more a Jedi Master on all things comics.

I've just enjoyed reading both sides.

I would suggest stop trying to argue with kav. He's not ever going to say "huh...you know, you make a good point! I've reconsidered."

:roflmao:

But I've enjoyed his posts over time - as I have yours! :foryou:

You didn't just equate me and kav, did you...?

I'm offended.

I shall now compose an article for submission to Listverse.

Not at all. Kav is the enthusiastic youngster that reminds me of myself (at times) when I was a lot younger.

You're more a Jedi Master on all things comics.

I've just enjoyed reading both sides.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, referencing an earlier thread.

:whee:

I have no idea what the OP will do, but this thread has provided much laughter and fun for me. My family is no doubt wondering why I'm on the computer past midnight and laughing out loud.

Comics General is such a blast sometimes....

you get books back from cgc in one month?

I do when I submit books like this under the proper tiers. This is a standard tier book. 15 business days. If you watch the website and know what to look for, you'll know if it is getting a purple label in about 10 business days.

What do you look for? I can not detect restore myself so I will need to rely on CGC.

The seller saw my post here and messaged me.. .The seller has stated he use to buy restored books then pay to have them unrestored and sell them. I am going to purchase the book and give him the benefit of doubt. I guess the CGC boards and every other comic related forum I know of will find out if he is legit or not.

I do when I submit books like this under the proper tiers. This is a standard tier book. 15 business days. If you watch the website and know what to look for, you'll know if it is getting a purple label in about 10 business days.

What do you look for? I can not detect restore myself so I will need to rely on CGC.

Tear seals are pretty easy to spot. You'll see that either on the interior or exterior of the cover.

Color touch - look for ink/color bleed thru on the interior cover (to find amateur color touch, like Sharpie)

Also, on the exterior of the cover, tilt the book at an angle (like you would looking for stress mark, indents etc). Is the sheen/gloss of the book consistent? Or is some of it shiny and some of it dull? Do parts of it just look odd?

These aren't the only way, and they aren't fail safe, but some quick tips.

Here's a great thread over in the Grading & Resto Forum:

How to spot restoration

Edited by chrisco37

Tear seals are pretty easy to spot. You'll see that either on the interior or exterior of the cover.

Amateur color touch - look for ink/color bleed thru on the interior cover

Also, on the exterior of the cover, tilt the book at an angle (like you would looking for stress mark, indents etc). Is the sheen/gloss of the book consistent? Or is some of it shiny and some of it dull? Do parts of it just look odd?

These aren't the only way, and they aren't fail safe, but some quick tips.

Thanks!

The seller saw my post here and messaged me.. .The seller has stated he use to buy restored books then pay to have them unrestored and sell them. I am going to purchase the book and give him the benefit of doubt. I guess the CGC boards and every other comic related forum I know of will find out if he is legit or not.

Ask him who he used to remove the resto.

Your question could be taken two ways. The first is what to look for yourself, book in hand. Someone else already answered that. The second take on your question could be what I watch for on the CGC submission portal.

In the grading process, books are checked for restoration before they are graded. Sometimes quite earlier than grading. Once the resto check is done, the listing status of the submission changes.

Verified, but pre resto check the submissions look like this

001 Amazing Spider-Man 300 5/88 Marvel Comics .0

Todd McFarlane cover & art

Last black costume.

After resto check

002 Incredible Hulk 181 11/74 Marvel Comics Universal .0

Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel art

Herb Trimpe cover

The difference is that the grade "type" shows up. (Modern, Universal , restored)

After verified but before the resto check is done, the grade is listed as .0

After verified, before graded but after resto check is done the grade shifts to Universal, modern, restored with the grade listed as .0

I know it's not popular to say, but you can get good books at good prices from dealers like this.

Not all of the books they sell have been altered. Their reputation results in many fine books selling on the low side of the price curve. You just need to be capable of evaluating for resto yourself or get such done before the 45 day eBay Buyer protection period is up.

That said, I decided to look at the book. I think it is unlikely to grade the 8.5 it is listed at. Edge tanning, and some small chips out the FC. Along top there is a chip out and a bit of the top corner is gone.

GPA on this book in 7.0/7.5 is around $500/$550. It sold for $381. An illustration of my point.

I personally would pay and look it over closely. If I didn't see resto then I'd send it to CGC to be graded. Within a month I'd know if the grade was way off and there was any resto. Get my refund if there was big problem. If there isn't any problem and the book grades the 7.0/7.5 I think it will, you got a decent deal. The savings from purchasing raw paid for the grading, shipping and you had money left over for lunch. Should it get 8.0 your easily a couple of hundred bucks ahead after grading costs.

You can't tell if a book has been trimmed just from a few pics. FF 48 is notorious for miswraps and funky cuts from the printer.

+1

The seller saw my post here and messaged me.. . The seller has stated he use to buy restored books then pay to have them unrestored and sell them. I am going to purchase the book and give him the benefit of doubt. I guess the CGC boards and every other comic related forum I know of will find out if he is legit or not.

That is such bull mess! :insane:lol And if you believe that I've got a couple of 9.4 Action 1s for sale... :screwy:

The seller saw my post here and messaged me.. . The seller has stated he use to buy restored books then pay to have them unrestored and sell them. I am going to purchase the book and give him the benefit of doubt. I guess the CGC boards and every other comic related forum I know of will find out if he is legit or not.

That is such bull mess! :insane:lol And if you believe that I've got a couple of 9.4 Action 1s for sale... :screwy:

The day I joined the boards was the day I was looking at some books bijoubaby was posting. Bijoubaby was all-things-comics back before they were shut down by boardies dogging their auctions and calling out their wildly_fanciful_statement. The boards saved me a headache and some heartache.

Since then all-things-comics have started disclosing resto in the body of SOME of their listings.