• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman Gold Key variant appreciation thread.

57 posts in this topic

Would this be considered a "variant"?

p><p> If you meant in the sense that it differs somehow from a regular Whitman issue?  I don

Edit to add that I think there are variations of the color of the Whitman logo (white or yellow logos), but I'm not sure if that was over time from one book to the next or if those color variations exists for specific issues.

Edited by mrwoogieman

The Whitman version pictured above, is in fact a variant of the Gold Key edition. The Whitman versions came packaged in three packs only, while the Gold Key versions were sold on newsstands. This was the case up until 1980, where Western publishing went to sealed pack distribution exclusively under the Whitman logo.

Yes, it would. Note that in the overwhelming majority of cases the Whitman "variant" is no more valuable than the Gold Key (or DC as the case may be) versions. The exceptions are the 1980 multi-pack only Whitman releases and some of the harder-to-find DC Whitman variants.

For the most part, no one cares to pay a premium for random funny animal/cartoon character Whitman issues from the early to mid-Seventies, especially if it's low to mid-grade.

Yes, it would. Note that in the overwhelming majority of cases the Whitman "variant" is no more valuable than the Gold Key (or DC as the case may be) versions. The exceptions are the 1980 multi-pack only Whitman releases and some of the harder-to-find DC Whitman variants.

For the most part, no one cares to pay a premium for random funny animal/cartoon character Whitman issues from the early to mid-Seventies, especially if it's low to mid-grade.

Thanks for your input...I just think it's so very interesting to hear about all of the different

versions available for basically the same books.

mm

I'm actually in the beginning of my journey of collecting the Whitman variants of the 1970s Magnus books.

Understanding that they're not part of the later 3-pack only rarities, I'm curious to see how hard they are to find in high-grade (i.e., strict 8.5 or better).

There's only one slabbed copy on the census so far.

I'm actually in the beginning of my journey of collecting the Whitman variants of the 1970s Magnus books.

Understanding that they're not part of the later 3-pack only rarities, I'm curious to see how hard they are to find in high-grade (i.e., strict 8.5 or better).

There's only one slabbed copy on the census so far.

Hopefully you'll find some file copies somewhere for these. I hardly ever see high grade Whitmans of any sort out in the wild.

Can anyone confirm whether Whitman published variants of Magnus, Robot Fighter # 39, 43 or 46?

I haven't been able to find any evidence of them via a Google Image search or in the usual suspects among dealer websites.

Just seems odd that Whitman would publish # 35-46 but for those three issues.

No I did not see it darn it. I want a 9.8 for my set si I will hold out for it if there are two. There are a few 9.8 PGX graded also

I'm sorry I meant there are ONLY 2 in 9.6, there are NO CGC 9.8's. I will correct that.

In regards to PGX 9.8, they may be graded 9.8 but might be only a 9.0, so I would be careful going after one of those.

No I did not see it darn it. I want a 9.8 for my set si I will hold out for it if there are two. There are a few 9.8 PGX graded also

I'm sorry I meant there are ONLY 2 in 9.6, there are NO CGC 9.8's. I will correct that.

In regards to PGX 9.8, they may be graded 9.8 but might be only a 9.0, so I would be careful going after one of those.

They could be a 9.0... or an 8.0 restored... or a cover with marvel age contents. Basically a random number generator there.

Best to stick to CGC.

On 2/9/2016 at 10:52 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Can anyone confirm whether Whitman published variants of Magnus, Robot Fighter # 39, 43 or 46?

I haven't been able to find any evidence of them via a Google Image search or in the usual suspects among dealer websites.

Just seems odd that Whitman would publish # 35-46 but for those three issues.

I took inventory of my Magnus collection (in progress), and arrived at the same exact question. GCD (Comics.org) is no help because they don't show some of the known Whitmans.