• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

off the wall question? need some info on vintage magic the gathering cards

37 posts in this topic

I was just approached by a co worker who states her husband who was an avid collector of MTG cards and passed away 10 years ago, still has his collection of these. I'd be able to help her out if they were comics but unsure of a good resource to determine key cards and what is the collectability of these. from my understanding i guess he had them organized by color (not sure what that means)

thanks for your time

Search eBay for "sold" auctions under the "advanced" search tab, then sort by highest price first.

I just did a search and some of these cards are going for stupid high prices. Seriously stupid high prices.

Edited by Kaptain Kollektor

Hi boss,

Most retail outlets use the following for pricing on MtG:

starcitygames.com

They have a search engine on site to evaluate cards. As with comics, price varies on condition. Also like comics, lots of drek to wade through VS cards of value, but if she has some of the earlier editions, the cards can be very valuable and an easy flip.

Cheers,

Cole

Hi boss,

Most retail outlets use the following for pricing on MtG:

starcitygames.com

They have a search engine on site to evaluate cards. As with comics, price varies on condition. Also like comics, lots of drek to wade through VS cards of value, but if she has some of the earlier editions, the cards can be very valuable and an easy flip.

Cheers,

Cole

This is helpful. I have a bunch of cards from the first few editions and expansions myself and want to unload them as well. I know that some cards tend to fluctuate in price depending on whether cards are useful with the latest game play.

I was just approached by a co worker who states her husband who was an avid collector of MTG cards and passed away 10 years ago, still has his collection of these. I'd be able to help her out if they were comics but unsure of a good resource to determine key cards and what is the collectability of these. from my understanding i guess he had them organized by color (not sure what that means)

thanks for your time

magic is played making decks of usually around 60 cards. The players can choose the color they want to play. Single color, or multi-color. The colors are Red, White, green , Black and Blue. There are also colorless cards such as artifacts, and there is land. Land is used to generate magic called mana that is used to cast the cards.

The older the cards, the more valuable they tend to be. As her husband was a collector and has been deceased over 10 years he is very very likely to have these older cards.

Use the resources mentioned, and even ebay to get an understanding.

Look up Black Lotus, as an example. It was available in the first released card set called Alpha, and the second set which was called beta and finally in the 3rd set called unlimited. All 3 versions of this card are valuable, and all 3 look slightly different.

You will need to be able to tell the set the card has come from, and lastly the condition of the cards to be able to give a valuation.

Good luck.

thanks for your time

Here is another good website that will teach you knowledge of investing and making money off Magic The Gathering.

quiet speculation

You're looking a lot of work if you don't know any cards yourself. There are plenty of places that you can look up prices, but it'll be time consuming, since a lot of sets from 10+ years ago don't even tell you if the cards are rare(worth more) or not. Here's a list of most of the cards that are worth money from that time period, there are more than this list but this has most of the cards that will most likely be in the collection.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/prices/paper/legacy_one

If you have any pictures of some of the collection, I can eyeball it to tell if it's worth going through.

Cheers

You're looking a lot of work if you don't know any cards yourself. There are plenty of places that you can look up prices, but it'll be time consuming, since a lot of sets from 10+ years ago don't even tell you if the cards are rare(worth more) or not. Here's a list of most of the cards that are worth money from that time period, there are more than this list but this has most of the cards that will most likely be in the collection.

If you have any pictures of some of the collection, I can eyeball it to tell if it's worth going through.

Cheers

This is very true, as later sets differentiated the rare cards from uncommon and commons using a color of the set symbol. Gold for rare, silver for uncommon and black for commons. In the older sets they didn't do this so it is hard to tell.

I played Magic heavily from 1994 - 2004 and from that era I am quite knowledgeable, after that I am clueless as to value.

Cheers

This link is much easier for people who don't know much or anything about M:tG. Sets are listed in reverse order, with expansion symbols beside them for easier identification. Within the sets, you can sort prices from highest to lowest, making rarity irrelevant. Core Sets are slightly trickier since they don't have expansion symbols until 6th Ed.

Check this out.

It's pretty amazing.

OfyCysP.png

An alpha Lotus. That's pretty much your Action 1 of Magic. Maybe a Beta.

The first few sets, up until Legends, are BIG money. Don't sell until you really get some good advice from people you trust. Otherwise you'll probably get fleeced. I had an Alpha set I sold in 1999, for several thousand. That was 15 years ago. I'm not sure what prices are now, but last time I looked a few years ago, they were off the charts.

Ok to keep it simple if the black lotus is the action comics #1, what would be the next 4 rarest cards to have (tec 27) marvel mystery comics #1, batman #1, superman #1 (to put it in a lingo comic collectors like me) can understand. Just want to give her something to take a quick glance on to see, because i figure if she's got some of the best cards than he was a collector indeed. I will report back when she lets me know thanks again ps. the video was very entertaining....guy sounded pretty excited when he pulled the black lotus.

Ok I will give this a shot. Off the top of my head:

From Alpha, Beta, Unlimited sets:

Black Lotus, all 5 Moxes ( Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Saphire, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby ), Time Walk, Time Twister, Ancestral Recall.

The above list is also known as power 9.

All dual lands. There are 10 different ones and these are land cards that can be tapped to produce mana of 2 different colors. These are also available in the revised set.

Bayou, Plateau, Savannah, Volcanic Island, Underground Sea, Badlands, Tropical Island, Taiga, Tundra, Scrubland. The more popular color combinations in black border are very valuable. Underground Sea in decent condition is 2000-3000.00

Black border cards from Alpha and Beta are very desired and valuable, and the list can be quite large.

Berserk, Fork, Gauntlet of Might, Serra Angel, Chaos Orb, even Hypnotic Specter alpha and beta versions are very valuable.

Some other cards:

From the set Arabian Nights

Juzam Djinn, Library of Alexandria, Diamond Valley, Serendib Efreet, Ali from Cairo, Bazaar of Baghdad

From Antiquities set:

Candelabra of Tawnos, Feldons Cane ( while reprinted heavily there is demand for originals ), Mishras factory, Mishras workshop, Tawnos coffin

From Legends set:

All Hallows Eve, Moat, Mana Drain, Underworld Dreams, Chains of Mephistopheles, Carrion ants, Cleanse, Tabernacle of Pendral Vale, Eureka, Jovial Evil, Thunder Spirit, Killer Bees, Land Equilibrium, Mirror Universe, Nether Void, Abyss

I am sure I have missed dozens of cards but those all have high sellability/ desirability.

Edited by Artboy99

For some reason I don't think this collection will have moxes, you're better off looking for force of wills and wastelands

Well, remember the guy has been deceased more than 10 years. If he was buying / collecting cards in 2004, it could be likely he collected previous to 2004.

That said, there are valuable cards from later sets as well.

The older the cards, the more valuable they tend to be.

This is not all together true. Magic came out in 1993 and there are sets from 1994-1996 that are practically worthless while card like Tarmagorf ($200) and Jace the Mindsculpter ($70) that are very popular and expensive. In Zendikar there are lands that are valued over $50. These only came out in the past few years. Magic cards' values are dependent on their playability and not by age.

Starcitygames is a really good site to look up cards and they show what set the cards came from if the cards have been reprinted.

Check this out.

It's pretty amazing.

OfyCysP.png

An alpha Lotus. That's pretty much your Action 1 of Magic. Maybe a Beta.

The first few sets, up until Legends, are BIG money. Don't sell until you really get some good advice from people you trust. Otherwise you'll probably get fleeced. I had an Alpha set I sold in 1999, for several thousand. That was 15 years ago. I'm not sure what prices are now, but last time I looked a few years ago, they were off the charts.

+1

A lot of stores are crooks when it comes to magic cards. I have heard plenty of nightmares. To many of them only want to pay you pennies on the dollar.

Alpha has to be going for over $30,000 for the set if they are in NM condition.