• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

off the wall question? need some info on vintage magic the gathering cards

37 posts in this topic

Check this out.

It's pretty amazing.

OfyCysP.png

An alpha Lotus. That's pretty much your Action 1 of Magic. Maybe a Beta.

The first few sets, up until Legends, are BIG money. Don't sell until you really get some good advice from people you trust. Otherwise you'll probably get fleeced. I had an Alpha set I sold in 1999, for several thousand. That was 15 years ago. I'm not sure what prices are now, but last time I looked a few years ago, they were off the charts.

+1

A lot of stores are crooks when it comes to magic cards. I have heard plenty of nightmares. To many of them only want to pay you pennies on the dollar.

Alpha has to be going for over $30,000 for the set if they are in NM condition.

Well, it's already been pointed out that an Alpha Lotus alone went for more than that, so I'd guess if all cards were in the original condition, something in the area of $75-100K seems more likely.

There was a series of rooftop breaks ins at comic shops in Sacramento-the target was Magic cards-that's all they took.

I have been playing Magic for about 20 years and may be able to assist you. While there are a lot of cards that are worth something there are a ton that are not. If these cards are arranged in a book/binder with sleeves it really makes things easy to take a picture per page or video of the pages being flipped.

If you have this capability I can take a look to see if I can help you.

If you don't then here are some helpful things to do

Recognize set symbols

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/rules/faqs

There are sets where the set symbol is black (common) Silver (uncommon) Gold (Rare) and Red (mythic rare). The rare and Mythic rares 99% of the time are worth something. There are older sets that do not use that coloring for the set symbol and it gets more difficult.

However if you type in the cards in this search engine it will work for you.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards

This link I provided gives you a list of cards that are valued between $1 and $50,000.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards?filter-price-min=1.00&filter-price-max=50000

I may be interested in these cards if that is the goal of your co-worker.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything. Just send a PM. Thanks!

I have been playing Magic for about 20 years and may be able to assist you. While there are a lot of cards that are worth something there are a ton that are not. If these cards are arranged in a book/binder with sleeves it really makes things easy to take a picture per page or video of the pages being flipped.

Recognize set symbols

There are sets where the set symbol is black (common) Silver (uncommon) Gold (Rare) and Red (mythic rare). The rare and Mythic rares 99% of the time are worth something. There are older sets that do not use that coloring for the set symbol and it gets more difficult.

This link I provided gives you a list of cards that are valued between $1 and $50,000.

This seems to be the way to go and if I was the OP I would take this generous forum member up on their offer.

Magic the Gathering is a niche collectible, but one that is sustainable at least for now. I would never recommend anyone try to invest in MTG cards simply due to the fact that way too many cards come in and out of flavor much too often. This is not something I would recommend holding for the long term. However I know a lot of people who make good money flipping cards for the short term.

Recognize set symbols

This seems to be the way to go and if I was the OP I would take this generous forum member up on their offer.

Magic the Gathering is a niche collectible, but one that is sustainable at least for now. I would never recommend anyone try to invest in MTG cards simply due to the fact that way too many cards come in and out of flavor much too often. This is not something I would recommend holding for the long term. However I know a lot of people who make good money flipping cards for the short term.

This.

You have to look carefully at some of the earlier cards to know what set they are from. I started with 4th edition and was baffled why I couldn't find certain cards. Turns out they were from the Revised set and they must have used left overs. Some of the cards happened to appear in 4th though you had to look at the copyright info to tell the difference.

I don't understand the people posting links to search engines that enable a person to type in a card name to find values. We're discussing a collection that probably spans ten years and thousands of cards. Looking up a whole collection of cards individually in this fashion is nuts.

This link is much easier for people who don't know much or anything about M:tG. Sets are listed in reverse order, with expansion symbols beside them for easier identification. Within the sets, you can sort prices from highest to lowest, making rarity irrelevant. Core Sets are slightly trickier since they don't have expansion symbols until 6th Ed.

At least with the link B3AST just posted (from the same site I linked) you can click on the sets and get a full price list for that set.

On 10/19/2014 at 11:32 AM, Artboy99 said:

Ok I will give this a shot. Off the top of my head:

From Alpha, Beta, Unlimited sets:

Black Lotus, all 5 Moxes ( Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Saphire, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby ), Time Walk, Time Twister, Ancestral Recall.

The above list is also known as power 9.

All dual lands. There are 10 different ones and these are land cards that can be tapped to produce mana of 2 different colors. These are also available in the revised set.

Bayou, Plateau, Savannah, Volcanic Island, Underground Sea, Badlands, Tropical Island, Taiga, Tundra, Scrubland. The more popular color combinations in black border are very valuable. Underground Sea in decent condition is 2000-3000.00

Black border cards from Alpha and Beta are very desired and valuable, and the list can be quite large.

Berserk, Fork, Gauntlet of Might, Serra Angel, Chaos Orb, even Hypnotic Specter alpha and beta versions are very valuable.

Some other cards:

From the set Arabian Nights

Juzam Djinn, Library of Alexandria, Diamond Valley, Serendib Efreet, Ali from Cairo, Bazaar of Baghdad

From Antiquities set:

Candelabra of Tawnos, Feldons Cane ( while reprinted heavily there is demand for originals ), Mishras factory, Mishras workshop, Tawnos coffin

From Legends set:

All Hallows Eve, Moat, Mana Drain, Underworld Dreams, Chains of Mephistopheles, Carrion ants, Cleanse, Tabernacle of Pendral Vale, Eureka, Jovial Evil, Thunder Spirit, Killer Bees, Land Equilibrium, Mirror Universe, Nether Void, Abyss

I am sure I have missed dozens of cards but those all have high sellability/ desirability.

The majority of these cards all have gone up in value.

I think it is fair to say Magic The Gathering is not a fad and a top hobby.

There is gold in some of those above MTG cards.

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The majority of these cards all have gone up in value.

I think it is fair to say Magic The Gathering is not a fad and a top hobby.

There is gold in some of those above MTG cards.

Definitely!

I sold a set of revised dual lands and a few other cards recently on Ebay. I sold the dual lands in sets of 4 of each type, a signed beta Time vault, Beta Chaos Orb, set of 4 Arabian Serendib Efreets and a few other cards and put $10,000 in my pocket.

12 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Definitely!

I sold a set of revised dual lands and a few other cards recently on Ebay. I sold the dual lands in sets of 4 of each type, a signed beta Time vault, Beta Chaos Orb, set of 4 Arabian Serendib Efreets and a few other cards and put $10,000 in my pocket.

I would say MTG and videogames hobbies are both going to start to take off on a similar path like comic books and sports cards did the 1980s and 1990s because the kids/young people who bought them back than now have come of age as adults and can now spend some huge coin on them because they now are at the age of having disposable income.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I would say MTG and videogames hobbies are both going to start to take off on a similar path like comic books and sports cards did the 1980s and 1990s because the kids/young people who bought them back than now have come of age as adults and can now spend some huge coin on them because they now are at the age of having disposable income.

I would definitely say Alpha, Beta, Unlimited are the best cards/sets to have at this point. Arabian Nights, Antiquities and Revised come in second (or 4th,5th,6th) best cards/sets to have. I definitely think the cards are only going to rise in value as new sets are produced and the game is everywhere now. 

I used to play back in the day when Revised had just come out but never thought of it as a collector's hobby, just a game. That's not to say I don't have some valuable cards now and have a good collection of cards now. Now's its more of a collectors hobby for me and barely play the game. 

Anyways, here is a link to a good documentary on Magic Cards and the top card of them all: Black Lotus

The Black Lotus (documentary)

Edited by DjMartini

21 minutes ago, DjMartini said:

I used to play back in the day when Revised had just come out but never thought of it as a collector's hobby

I think that might be the genius of the game in that some people play it, some collect the cards and a lot do both.

Like I play poker and chess, but I don't go out seeking to collect poker playing cards or chess pieces or the opposite with sports cards I can collect them, but can't really play a game with them.This is were MTG takes it to another level.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

16 hours ago, miraclemet said:

the phrase "vintage magic cards" just made me feel real old.....

Whenever someone uses the word vintage to describe something, I start thinking they are using it to prop up the value just because it is "old".