• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternative to tape

34 posts in this topic

Quite a while back on STL Hammer used to go on and on about Avery Removable Dot labels. click

Supposedly they're low-tack on mylar and polybags. His main rant was if they were to accidentally hit a comic you could remove it without harm. They look cheap enough, 840 dots in a pack (1/2 inch dia.,$6). Maybe someone here can confirm they work?

71dFcHAM3hL._SY355_.jpg

I've found them to work just fine on polybags, but on 2 mil mylar bags they had a tendency to pop open by themselves. I went back to just using regular tape.

These work great

avery.jpg

I believe I mentioned this in the big mylar post somewhere on this forum, but instead of tape I use small white velcro dots to seal my comics in mylar.

Here are some pics as example for anyone who might want to look into alternative for tape (using my Batman Adventures #12). The velcro dots I found was the easiest way for me to open and close mylar bags with ease without having to stress about whether or not tape will ever touch comic as I'm pulling them out.

co7XIpz.jpg

uOeWv8x.jpg

Image of the velcro dot product:

P8uWzY3.jpg

The dots are relatively unobtrusive as one side is transparent and the other white. It's an added expense compared to using tape, but I found it worthwhile. Though just want to stress I only know how it works on mylar; regular polybags may be tricky since they are 'softer' textured then the more rigid plastic of mylar.

How thick are those? I'd be afraid that the book behind it would have a "dot" impression after being in a box for a while.

I would definitely avoid those for that reason and also because when stacking comics in a box, all the tops would in effect be thicker than the bottoms. If packed too tightly, could cause some spine stressing

Been using them for years and pack my short boxes pretty tight (not packed so tight where it would physically hurt to pull books out of box) and haven't had any problems with them so far. But again, this is my personal preference as I don't want tape anywhere near books. :P