• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, paperheart said:
13 hours ago, Rip said:

99% damn I would hate to be that guy. Although I expect Armond White to give it a negative review also.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/ed-power-16789/movies

i thought he'd want to be the first

Me too!  :grin:  I went to his web site on Tuesday when the embargo lifted expecting him to trash the film, but he hasn't reviewed it yet.

http://www.nationalreview.com/author/armond-white

I’ve never read a Black Panther comic and have zero interest in the character but I’m really looking forward to seeing this movie. I enjoyed his appearance in Civil War and some of the reviews I read said this isn’t the standard Marvel fare. 

I haven't seen any negative reviews or foreshadowing of doom.  The comments have scaled back from the initial "this movie will solve world peace" to more realistic "has some flaws but still better than cocaine".

Looking in my crystal ball I'm going to call $150M - $170M with a grand total of $850M (race will play a factor in the Asian market).

Can't wait to see the tech that's in Wakanda!  It'll make the current Iron Man suit look like the Mark-1:D.

40 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Looking in my crystal ball I'm going to call $150M - $170M with a grand total of $850M (race will play a factor in the Asian market).

I was wondering that with China and Japan. Heck, the general Asian box office. Like Captain America, and how that plays out in countries like Russia and areas more hardline to the USA. Or when you had Suicide Squad blocked from being shown in China due to Katana with the Japan rising sun.

The things movies have to factor in now due to a more global box office can be interesting what impacts their results.

11 hours ago, Reader said:

I’ve never read a Black Panther comic and have zero interest in the character but I’m really looking forward to seeing this movie. I enjoyed his appearance in Civil War and some of the reviews I read said this isn’t the standard Marvel fare. 

That's what will make Black Panther enjoyable like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy, as it doesn't have years of baggage like Batman,Superman,X-Men and Spider-Man.

People will love it and not compare it to comic books that came out 30 to 50 years ago.

5 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I haven't seen any negative reviews or foreshadowing of doom.  The comments have scaled back from the initial "this movie will solve world peace" to more realistic "has some flaws but still better than cocaine".

Can't wait to see the tech that's in Wakanda!  It'll make the current Iron Man suit look like the Mark-1:D.

$350-375MM US,  $375MM-400MM, Int'l $350MM-375MM

cover article in Time Magazine, bumping up my est by $25MM US

Edited by paperheart

I think its going to be a monster.

For those of you that have no interest I would suggest reading Hudlin's Black Panther from a few years ago. I loved it.
I never cared for Panther for years in the Avengers, but after reading Hudlin's take on Black Panther I was sold. 

I really hope its better then the hype. I have people I work with ask about it because my desktop at work has the Lexus LC 500 and Panther
together promoting the movie.  Marvel will draw in several new audiences. 

I work for a Japanese company and several of my japanese co-workers were asking me about the Panther since the Lexus in so much of the
movie advertising.

First mention of movie expenses. Which really after all these years isn't shocking the MCU goes from an average $170M spend on individual character movies to $200M. Especially to do it right.

VARIETY: Chadwick Boseman and Ryan Coogler on How ‘Black Panther’ Makes History

Marvel’s latest crown jewel is tracking to gross an estimated $150 million on its opening weekend. Strong business for “Black Panther,” which cost nearly $200 million to produce and roughly $150 million more to market, would send a clear message to the movie industry that certain communities are still widely under-served.

‘Black Panther’ Pacing to Become Fandango’s Best Ever Q1 Preseller, Tracking for $140M+ 3-Day Launch

The film is currently tracking for a domestic opening close to $140 million over its three-day debut, positioning it for a possible Presidents Day weekend record (currently held by Deadpool‘s $152.2 million four-day opening). The highest three-day debut in Q1 history belongs to last year’s Beauty and the Beast ($174.75 million).

Fandango is reporting that its presales for Marvel’s “Black Panther,” opening February 16, are now outpacing its presales for all other first quarter releases in the company’s 18-year history.

At the same point in the Fandango sales cycle, “Black Panther” is on track to leap past the January-March presales record-holders, “The Hunger Games” (2012) and “Beauty and the Beast” (2017), respectively. It is also pacing to be Fandango’s top preseller among all superhero titles.

“It’s not just a superhero movie, it’s a ground-breaking cultural event,” says Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis. “It is hands-down the first major movie event of 2018, and the ecstatic reviews are fueling even greater anticipation. We’re also seeing increased interest from larger groups of ticket-buyers looking to celebrate next weekend’s historic release.”

17 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Anybody reading the most recent Black Panther titles?

It was a big deal that they secured Te-Nehisi Coates to write them.

It was and it sold well. I preferred Hudlin's BP to Coates though. I just felt Hudlin wrote it more like a I thought the BP world should be.
That and I enjoyed the stories with Storm in them.

21 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

It was and it sold well. I preferred Hudlin's BP to Coates though. I just felt Hudlin wrote it more like a I thought the BP world should be.
That and I enjoyed the stories with Storm in them.

Thanks.

I haven't read Black Panther since the first Christopher Priest Marvel Knights title back in the late '90s.

I thought it was the best treatment of the character I'd seen.

Pretty sure I even have the Italian language version of # 1 somewhere too.

Edited by Gatsby77

31 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Thanks.

I haven't read Black Panther since the first Christopher Priest Marvel Knights title back in the late '90s.

I thought it was the best treatment of the character I'd seen.

Pretty sure I even have the Italian language version of # 1 somewhere too.

Coogler referenced this run in an article i just read.

I had no idea people were going to trash this thing on IMDB as much as they are now.

I see a title wave coming for RT as well. 

I knew it was going to bring out some crazies, but wow.

6 minutes ago, Rip said:

I had no idea people were going to trash this thing on IMDB as much as they are now.

I see a title wave coming for RT as well. 

I knew it was going to bring out some crazies, but wow.

they were released from mom's basement and excused from the Klan rally to attend the Hollywood premiere 

and it ain't gonna matter a hill of beans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/02/12/box-office-black-panther-is-still-tracking-for-record-crushing-opening/#52e8b7e8202b

Edited by paperheart