• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Will ‘Black Panther’ Smash the ‘Deadpool’ February Box Office Record?

BlackPantherDeadpool.jpg

$152,193,853 (2016) = $157,178,056.31 (2018)

Should be interesting.

This is where Marvel has the huge advantage over DC.  Marvel has a huge amount of characters that are bankable,while DC always seems stuck for the most part on the Big 2. YAWN!

That is why I want DC to get away from those two and move forward to change their Superfriends perception.

Hello Lobo. Hello Deathstroke.

Batman and Superman are treading into Tarzan and Lone Ranger waters. Getting long in tooth.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The better comparision to JL will be Ant-Man 2.

If Ant-Man 2 beats Justice League than wow to Marvel.

lol.

Better comparison is your left foot to your eardrum.

(:

Nice try though.

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This is where Marvel has the huge advantage over DC.  Marvel has a huge amont of characters that are bankable,while DC always seems stuck for the most part on the Big 2. YAWN!

That is why I want DC to get away from those two and move forward to change their Superfriends perception.

Batman and Superman are treading into Tarzan and Lone Ranger waters. Getting long in tooth.

Are you forgetting this is the Black Panther thread again?

:baiting:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Will ‘Black Panther’ Smash the ‘Deadpool’ February Box Office Record?

BlackPantherDeadpool.jpg

Two years ago, “Deadpool” pushed the boundaries of what a superhero movie could do outside the traditional blockbuster season, making a February-record $152 million on President’s Day weekend. But this weekend, “Black Panther” could rip that record to shreds with some vibranium claws.

With three days to go until the film’s Thursday night nationwide release, independent trackers have Ryan Coogler’s superhero movie making $165 million over the four-day weekend. Not only would that set a new February box office record, but it would bring “Black Panther” close to the record for the biggest opening for a single-superhero movie, which is currently held by “Iron Man 3” with $174 million.

As it stands, “Black Panther” is expected to post an opening that would rank in the top 10 for superhero films. Disney is projecting a more conservative four-day start of $150 million, which would equate to a 3-day total of roughly $130 million. To crack the top 10, “Black Panther” would need to to beat the $133.6 million made by “Suicide Squad” in August 2016.

$152,193,853 (2016) = $157,178,056.31 (2018)

Should be interesting.

:popcorn:

38 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This is where Marvel has the huge advantage over DC.  Marvel has a huge amount of characters that are bankable,while DC always seems stuck for the most part on the Big 2. YAWN!

MCU = ability to take B & C list comic book characters and turn them into A list movie properties (IM, GOTG, BP)

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Why would you even compare the two when it is known now how half-baked JL was?

Do you walk by 8 year holds and pay them to race you up the street so then when you beat them you scream 'I RULE!'?

(:

For real?

Black Panther is a C-list character.

vs. Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman -- three of the most recognizable superheroes on the planet.

For a movie featuring him to even be _made_, let alone potentially outperform Justice League, is ridiculous.

Also, this is a $200 million movie whose most bankable actor is Michael B. Jordan (even accounting for Fantastic Four).

vs. a film starring Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, Holly Hunter, and more.

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

For real?

vs. Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman -- three of the most recognizable superheroes on the planet.

For a movie featuring him to even be _made_, let alone potentially outperform Justice League, is ridiculous.

Also, this is a $200 million movie whose most bankable actor is Michael B. Jordan (even accounting for Fantastic Four).

For realsies.

JL ended up trashed by critics. This then led to those that were hesitant not to attend leading to a much lower result.

We then found out WB pretty much sabotaged its own production through late changes, and throwing in a different director.

Sorry. Where's the logical comparison? Other than trying to trash a movie further - for real.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

For real?

so for $600MM JL would've been fully baked :roflmao:

12 hours ago, paperheart said:

with only 10 or so Metacritics to be heard from, looks like a fait accompli that Black Panther will be the new superhero king of Metacritic (unless Rex Reed gets counted multiple times)

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/black-panther

87 Black Panther

83 Spider-Man 2

82 Dark Knight

The Rotten Tomatoes average rating (not the Tomatometer) is computed the same way and has those movies as 8.6 Dark Knight, 8.3 Black Panther, 8.3 Spider-Man 2.  The difference between them might be a scoring discrepancy, or maybe it's just the critics each site chose to include.

I can't speak for Black Panther because I haven't seen it, but certainly Metacritic has it wrong for Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 but Rotten Tomatoes has it right.  But they're both right in that those are the best two superhero movies ever made.

55 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The Rotten Tomatoes average rating (not the Tomatometer) is computed the same way and has those movies as 8.6 Dark Knight, 8.3 Black Panther, 8.3 Spider-Man 2.  The difference between them might be a scoring discrepancy, or maybe it's just the critics each site chose to include.

I can't speak for Black Panther because I haven't seen it, but certainly Metacritic has it wrong for Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 but Rotten Tomatoes has it right.  But they're both right in that those are the best two superhero movies ever made.

Something to consider is that Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews take a few years to normalize.

Especially as there have been concerted PR campaigns (and bot manipulation) by studios to try to artificially boost scores of new movies, there's a bias towards new releases that tends to smooth out over time.

So it's pointless to compare films less than two years old with ones -- like The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 -- that are a decade or more old.

Works the other way too. I have no doubt the fan scores of The Last Jedi will rise over time, as the concerted initial fan backlash dissipates in the face of more votes from the public at large.

I'm sticking to my crystal ball prediction of $150M-$170M (before all the latest data points).  If that's too wide of a range I'll narrow it down to $155 - $160M.  I'm gonna add this to my "I'm right" listlol.

***Fifty Shades??? I didn't know there was such a big movie market for horny housewives:screwy:.

Just got back from theater at noon. Only a few single seats and front rows left on about 8 or so showings till midnight.

This thing is going to have a monsterous  opening.

i also noticed it looks like they are using an invisible plane, from the trailers-- surprised they beat WW on that.

Edited by bronze_rules

29 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Just got back from theater at noon. Only a few single seats and front rows left on about 8 or so showings till midnight.

This thing is going to have a monsterous  opening.

i also noticed it looks like they are using an invisible plane, from the trailers-- surprised they beat WW on that.

Ok there were a lot of people and it's going to make a lot of money, that's great.   But was it the best thing since sliced bread like everyone it making it out to be.  Going Saturday regardless but curious how you felt.