• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Again, you are repeating the same thoughts and theories in the very same thread that you then tried to tell others this is the Black Panther thread so debates should be dropped.

If I'm some mindless DC zombie like you with Marvel, why did I post the negative details of all the scenes WB cut out of JL pretty much sabotaging its own production?

Maybe you have those Marvel blinders on a little too tight.

I would have to say you are the biggest DC fan I ever encountered.

I gave you the constructive criticism as to why most of the modern DC movies are considered failures. 

The box offices of Black Panther,Deadpool 2 , and Avengers Infinity War will do the talking the rest of the way,while 

DC fans continue to debate if there will be a Snyder JL cut.

:foryou:

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

I gave you the constructive criticism as to why most of the modern DC movies are considered failures. 

The box offices of Black Panther,Deadpool 2 , and Avengers Infinity War will do the talking the rest of the way,while 

And yet the greatest superhero movie to date (heck, trilogy) involves the tired and worthless Batman character. Maybe you heard of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

(:

Meanwhile, there are plenty of good movies all-around from more than one company. Now - let's remember this is the Black Panther thread.

:wink:

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

c'mon CC keep the focus on BP, no one needs to be reminded that Avengers outgrossed JL by $860MM

Just got back from the theater and I immediately regret not buying myself a graded copy of FF52.  I'm sure the character received a bump after Civil War, but the quality of his own solo title must surely propel the book ever higher.  I went in expecting something along the lines of Doctor Strange - interesting trailer but a movie that ultimately didn't meet my expectations.  I came out thinking this is one of the best movies Marvel has made.  I think a lot of it has to do with the social and political undertones that serve to make the movie so much more than a simple super hero action flick.

Just got back from a packed audience (no clapping at the end, maybe didn't appeal as much to the typical Marvel action hero audience) --  I give it 8.5.

Marvel has shown once again it is firing on all cylinders and continues to bring refreshing and new content, while continuing to expand and flesh out its empire.

While Thor brought us Aasgard, BP brings us a gorgeous fleshed out Wakanda, with a colorful cast of characters, costumes, technology, and novel scenery.  At times I felt like I was watching a cultural festival on the big screen.

Storywise, it was more of a hero's journey type theme, with T'challa being the protagonist, and well defined archetypes along the way.

Much less comedy and more of a serious tone here, possibly the most serious tone that I could remember.

Integrated bits and pieces of several successful films and storylines (IMO)...

James Bond, Coming to America, The Lion King, and Star Wars to name a few.

Good Villain and backstory, but a little variation on the original storyline (at least, that I'm aware of, not really a BP expert).

Wouldn't really expect a huge cosmic or world shattering action flick, more of a personal saga, IMO.

Even though the hype was huge, I still didn't expect much, but thought Marvel once again delivered the goods in a fresh and novel way.

What, no Stan Lee appearance?  Boring end credit scenes -- but, understandable. Was hoping for some Thanos.  I wonder if the other leader was Man-Ape, have to check on that.

Edited by bronze_rules

32 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Hide contents

What, no Stan Lee appearance?  Boring end credit scenes -- but, understandable. Was hoping for some Thanos.  I wonder if the other leader was Man-Ape, have to check on that.

Stan's appearance was pretty obvious.

Spoiler

He was in the scene when T'Challa first meets Everett Ross.

Edited by ExNihilo

19 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Stan's appearance was pretty obvious.

Reveal hidden contents

He was in the scene when T'Challa first meets Everett Ross.

Completely missed it, thank you! I was in the 2nd row and certain scenes came off a bit dark or distorted... Can't believe I missed that, though.

27 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Completely missed it, thank you! I was in the 2nd row and certain scenes came off a bit dark or distorted... Can't believe I missed that, though.

Spoiler

To add detail, when T'Challa first approaches Ross at the craps table, he lays down some chips.  He finishes his conversation with Ross and walks away as the dice rolls.  Ross tells him he won, to which T'Challa doesn't care.  Stan Lee slides into the shot and reaches over towards the winnings and says something like "I'll take these.  Keep it warm until he comes back."

‘Black Panther’ Arrives: Thursday Previews Pacing Around $25M – B.O. Estimate Update

Earlier tonight sources were spotting the movie between $22M-$24M, and now the thinking is that the Ryan Coogler-directed movie about Marvel’s Black superhero T’Challa will clear $25M. Black Panther will either beat or tie with  Captain America: Civil War ($25M) as the second best Marvel preview ever behind Avengers: Age of Ultron ($27.6M). This is also easily the biggest pre-summer preview night ever, outstripping The Hunger Games ($19.7M). On the high end, it’s nearly double the $12.7M what Deadpool posted prior to its record February four-day weekend of $152.1M. These early estimates for Black Panther are exclusively from Deadline, so if you see them reported by a rival trade, they got them from us.

Other records being broken: Advance ticket sales continue to go wild over at Fandango with Black Panther now their fourth-biggest pre-seller of all-time behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. A few weeks ago, Fandango reported that Black Panther is their biggest superhero ticket-seller.

Note there is a margin of error when shooting from the hip this early. Tonight’s numbers could be much higher by morning. If Black Panther continues on this pace, it’s looking approximately at $65M for Friday (including Thursday), $161M over three and $180M-plus for four. Again, none of this comes from Disney.

Already in its first two days abroad, Black Panther, with $23.3M, is beating the opening figures of MCU deeper universe character Doctor Strange. 

USA TODAY: Admire the Amazons in 'Wonder Woman'? You'll love the Dora Milaje in 'Black Panther'

636534488954143103-MBA1080-v014.1012.jpg

Black Panther's Dora Milaje is taking fierce females on the big screen to the next level.

It's one of the reasons director Ryan Coogler's Black Panther is preparing to open late Thursday amid feverish anticipation, especially from female and African-American moviegoers.

The story revolves around African ruler T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) and his masked alter ego, Black Panther. The army T'Challa relies on when his reign in the progressive African country of Wakanda comes in question? That would be his all-female special force, the Dora Milaje.

Think of the Amazon warriors in Wonder Woman. These women are "unapologetically feminine and ferocious,” says Danai Gurira, who plays the Dora Milaje's general.

Between Black Panther's all-female army and lead characters played by Lupita Nyong'o (a Wakandan spy) and Letitia Wright (a teen tech wizard), "the representation of Black women in #BlackPanther made me feel seen," tweeted African-American film critic ReBecca Theodore-Vachon after seeing the film. "Seen in a way other superhero movies have not done well."

Coogler says the Dora Milaje was inspired by women in his own life.

"I pulled from examples of incredibly strong black women I have known in my life, from my mother to my aunts, my wife," says Coogler. "These incredible women who are so multifaceted, they kind of carry society on their backs."

4 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I hope it's better than Thor Ragnarok.   I tried to watch that last night and quit before it even finished.  I had high hopes based on what I'd heard.  It was the worst of the 3 (and I thought the first one was terrible).  

At 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. I am pretty sure it's a homerun. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_panther_2018