• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

Saw BP at a press screening a while back in old London town, in front of a (very) partisan audience (well, some of them, anyway).

There's hype, and then there's the hype surrounding this film. I've seen countless Marvel movie press videos where the director, screenwriter and main cast members discuss the finer nuances of the film that they are in, along with the subtext, relationships between characters, etc. And every single time all I can think of is that it's all hot air and spin - it's always a presentable genre film, often entertaining, with a handful of good lines that adheres to a strict and inflexible formula, because after all that is what audiences expect, and get. Why diverge from a winning recipe? And why let matters like art or actual cinema enter the equation? There's acting, and then there's Marvel acting.

And there's not much to separate this movie from all the others. To claim that this is revolutionary, groundbreaking, or seminal is absurd. It's a competent movie at best, which outstayed its welcome for me due to its overblown self-importance. The acting was passable, but our leading man (Boseman is by far the best thing in the movie) is given little to do. If there is a theme or subtext it's not exactly subtle or allegorical. This is a genre movie and nothing more, with different costumes and setting. The rest is cookie cutter, with some elements of Greek tragedy thrown in. Oh yeah, some of the CGI was poor, but that doesn't bother me.

I almost felt sorry for Martin Freeman for taking on his role as stooge. A half-decent movie at best, but also dispiriting. What (apart from the identity politics) is so special about this film?

Edited by goldust40

7 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

A half-decent movie at best, but also dispiriting. What (apart from the identity politics) is so special about this film?

That and the build up for Infinity war. It's odd here in the states. Everyone is so divided based on the abuse of identity politics from the last election. It's almost like buying a ticket to the movie is a way to either confirm you are who you think you are, or you aren't who they think you are. Its a sweet spot of populist angst.

18 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

That and the build up for Infinity war. It's odd here in the states. Everyone is so divided based on the abuse of identity politics from the last election. It's almost like buying a ticket to the movie is a way to either confirm you are who you think you are, or you aren't who they think you are. Its a sweet spot of populist angst.

I didn't want to delve into that area but the announcer at the press screening made that impossible, along with sections of the crowd laughing at anything the cast did (even when there was nothing on screen) not to mention cheering loudly when Martin Freeman got put down for being a "colonizer". Hilarious!!

I'm not here to pontificate or even extol genre cinema, but that level of devotion is one of its pitfalls as well as its strengths. Add populism to the mix and it all gets a bit silly. And yes, that was understatement.

Edited by goldust40

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Is this a movie with repeat viewings? I find it interesting that many of the marvel fans from the boards who usually see their movies (big distinction) haven’t posted their comments or reviews 

Marvel fan but rarely do I see a movie twice in theatre...The only movie I saw in the theatre twice was the very first Spider-Man.

Hoping to see BP today or Monday (long weekend where I am).

28 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

I didn't want to delve into that area but the announcer at the press screening made that impossible, along with sections of the crowd laughing at anything the cast did (even when there was nothing on screen) not to mention cheering loudly when Martin Freeman got put down for being a "colonizer". Hilarious!!

I'm not here to pontificate or even extol genre cinema, but that level of devotion is one of its pitfalls as well as its strengths. Add populism to the mix and it all gets a bit silly. And yes, that was understatement.

Having not yet seen this, the question I'll ask is my litmus test for all comic book movies:

Does the plot work if it weren't a superhero film?

Winter Soldier was great because it was a solid spy thriller that discussed the limits of government surveillance in the wake of the Patriot Act. Take out the superhero backdrop and it still could have worked as a Jack Ryan (or Jack Reacher) film.

Wonder Woman was great because it was, similarly, a decent WWI spy thriller.

The Dark Knight is the paragon of the superhero genre because it's a great crime/mob thriller -- essentially a remake of Heat -- with the Batman mythology grafted on top.

Even Superman: The Movie's plot was decent -- Lex Luthor's conspiracy to manufacture an earthquake that would drop California into the ocean and make his real estate holdings skyrocket now that it's beachfront.

Is the plot of Black Panther decent if you take out the comic book elements?

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Is the plot of Black Panther decent if you take out the comic book elements?

It's a plot that's not without its merits, although it has been done enough times before. I'd have to say that a lot of what makes a  decent film is based on -script and how such a plot would be approached. There are a finite amount of plots out there, after all. Plus all genre, be it super-hero comics or movies, borrows extensively from more heavyweight or highbrow antecedents. Not everything depends on plot.

I certainly agree though that TDK (by far the best super-hero or comic-based film for me) works because it successfully fuses super-heroism with crime noir. It's a hybrid film that does think outside the box. However the plot (madman holds a city to ransom through nefarious or terror-based schemes) is all too familiar. The thing is, Nolan knew how to transcend genre and bring something fresh to the table. Coogler, regardless of his grandiloquent statements about his project, does not. It's fairly lazy filmmaking, really. 

I feel badly for it,  as I've been excited about this movie since it was announced,  but I don't think I'll be giving Marvel any dough to see this one.  That's based on ALL feedback I've heard thus far.  I don't spend money to see a film at the theater unless I can get a little escape from today's sensationalist environment not be submerged in it to the payoff of an otherwise cookie cutter story/plot.

I'm under no delusion that this will affect the film's gravitas for others in any way. 

Edited by Mystafo

Not to mention it does nothing to further the thing I really care about: the Thanos/IG build up.  If Disney effs up IW (which I'm fairly certain they will  since it became clear that the doubly awful Infinity was a big part of the influence) I don't know how I'll ever justify investing so much of my movie funds in such a let down.

Edited by Mystafo
I hate auto correct! !!

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Is this a movie with repeat viewings? I find it interesting that many of the marvel fans from the boards who usually see their movies (big distinction) haven’t posted their comments or reviews 

Okay wasn't going to post didn't won't to get labeled one thing or the other but here it goes. Took the wife and kids and they loved it. I thought it was really good but not better than IM, Avengers or Civil War in my opinion. Thought it was a little too preachy if I want that all I have to do is turn on the TV that's not what I go to movies for, I'm bad, America's bad, cops bad I get it. But it's a comic book movie so I'm in, any comic book movie is worth seeing to me. (shrug) except the last FF

3 hours ago, goldust40 said:

Saw BP at a press screening a while back in old London town, in front of a (very) partisan audience (well, some of them, anyway).

There's hype, and then there's the hype surrounding this film. I've seen countless Marvel movie press videos where the director, screenwriter and main cast members discuss the finer nuances of the film that they are in, along with the subtext, relationships between characters, etc. And every single time all I can think of is that it's all hot air and spin - it's always a presentable genre film, often entertaining, with a handful of good lines that adheres to a strict and inflexible formula, because after all that is what audiences expect, and get. Why diverge from a winning recipe? And why let matters like art or actual cinema enter the equation? There's acting, and then there's Marvel acting.

And there's not much to separate this movie from all the others. To claim that this is revolutionary, groundbreaking, or seminal is absurd. It's a competent movie at best, which outstayed its welcome for me due to its overblown self-importance. The acting was passable, but our leading man (Boseman is by far the best thing in the movie) is given little to do. If there is a theme or subtext it's not exactly subtle or allegorical. This is a genre movie and nothing more, with different costumes and setting. The rest is cookie cutter, with some elements of Greek tragedy thrown in. Oh yeah, some of the CGI was poor, but that doesn't bother me.

I almost felt sorry for Martin Freeman for taking on his role as stooge. A half-decent movie at best, but also dispiriting. What (apart from the identity politics) is so special about this film?

As always, the voice of reason.

7 minutes ago, paperheart said:

one of its great strengths for me

Same for me, this was a good movie that also happened to be a superhero movie. I like Marvel's approach with these individual movies where you get a deeper appreciation for the characters. It allows the bigger team films to dive right into the action.