• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

I saw it yesterday and thought it was very good (4/5 stars from me).

Best parts:

Acting felt very sharp across the board, at least as strong as every other MCU film -- and better than in many.  I felt several characters' doubts, passions, and anger is visceral ways.  At least three times I was moved by the humanity of a character's action or decision.  A few minor characters weren't as sharp from an acting perspective, but the leads all shone.

Plot and characterization all worked for me -- the main characters all get an arc, the country of Wakanda gets a seminal moment to see what it will become, and the villain's motivations are compelling.

Two or three very funny moments, but not of the 'break the mood' variety.  I generally like Marvel's use of humor, but Whedon's constant zingers in 'Age of Ultron' weakened that movie for me in particular. 

Wakanda was visually beautiful, and the costuming was amazing.  Might get an Oscar nod for costumes and production design.

Worst parts:

The action was often too dark and/or frenetic to keep track of easily.  Not all the fights came across this way, but enough of them to bug me.

The CGI is spotty and at times a bit cartoony compared to the kind we got in the airport scene of 'Civil War' (which I thought was excellent).

Some of the transitions between scenes were awkward in their timing (a minor complaint).

So many strong secondary characters that T'Challa occasionally took a back seat in his own movie.  I would have liked to see more of the visceral, hand-to-hand combat and energy from him that we saw in 'Civil War'.

Overall, a strong movie with a message about how to treat humanity that will resonate with plenty of people.  It is not, in my eyes, a brilliant film, nor did any particular moment make my jaw drop.  It is, however, a strong character film with plenty of heart, humanity, and purpose.  I will definitely see it 1-2 more times in the theater.

Dan

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

why is that? what is different that compels you to see those but not this one

Don’t know, maybe because it felt disconnected from the MCU.  Plus all the pre hype had me excited and let me down big time like The Last Jedi.

I went in with low expectations for GOTG, Ant Man, and Dr Strange and left impressed with those films.

Edited by PEP

25 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I saw it yesterday and thought it was very good (4/5 stars from me).

Best parts:

Acting felt very sharp across the board, at least as strong as every other MCU film -- and better than in many.  I felt several characters' doubts, passions, and anger is visceral ways.  At least three times I was moved by the humanity of a character's action or decision.  A few minor characters weren't as sharp from an acting perspective, but the leads all shone.

Plot and characterization all worked for me -- the main characters all get an arc, the country of Wakanda gets a seminal moment to see what it will become, and the villain's motivations are compelling.

Two or three very funny moments, but not of the 'break the mood' variety.  I generally like Marvel's use of humor, but Whedon's constant zingers in 'Age of Ultron' weakened that movie for me in particular. 

Wakanda was visually beautiful, and the costuming was amazing.  Might get an Oscar nod for costumes and production design.

Worst parts:

The action was often too dark and/or frenetic to keep track of easily.  Not all the fights came across this way, but enough of them to bug me.

The CGI is spotty and at times a bit cartoony compared to the kind we got in the airport scene of 'Civil War' (which I thought was excellent).

Some of the transitions between scenes were awkward in their timing (a minor complaint).

So many strong secondary characters that T'Challa occasionally took a back seat in his own movie.  I would have liked to see more of the visceral, hand-to-hand combat and energy from him that we saw in 'Civil War'.

Overall, a strong movie with a message about how to treat humanity that will resonate with plenty of people.  It is not, in my eyes, a brilliant film, nor did any particular moment make my jaw drop.  It is, however, a strong character film with plenty of heart, humanity, and purpose.  I will definitely see it 1-2 more times in the theater.

Dan

The movie did move me, I felt the tears when Killmonger was being taken outside by T'Challa. Logan was the last movie to do that.

Just got back from seeing it with my daughter and wife - they both gave it an A- and I was more in the B+ camp but a very good movie all the way around.  I felt it flowed very well and I didn't feel bored at all which is good for a fairly long movie.  The acting was spot on and the battle scenes were very suspenseful.   I did drop it a bit since it was a little preachy at points and being a white male it did seem like they were accusing a lot of the problems confronting Black people in the current world on "colonizers" but pointed very little fingers at other issues.  I like the fact the movie make discussions possible but it ended up feeling a little preachy to me.  I think this is definitely a mix between Lion King and Iron Man which are not bad movies to be compared to.  Would I see it again?  Probably not be maybe via Redbox since there was a lot of stuff happening all at once but I think I got it all in one showing.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Black Panther's opening weekend gross of $192 million domestic puts it above the (unadjusted) total domestic grosses of:

• Thor
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Ant-Man
  • X-Men: First Class
  • X-Men: Apocalypse

long road ahead but I think it gets to #6 or #7 worldwide superhero movie (unadjusted)

This movie resonates huge with African-American movie goers, at least going in to it (I can't say afterwards as I haven't talked to my co-workers about it yet. However, I know my son and I were sitting next to a AA women in her 60s who was there alone. My guess would be that she hadn't been to any other MCU flicks. I had people at work that know of my comic background and have never spoke to me about any of the MCU movies wearing matching homemade King/Queen of Wakanda shirts to the movie. This is a perfect example of diversity being a huge benefit in selling tickets as you get all your normal comic audience plus a huge portion of people who had no interest in comic movies at the theater before.

Wow! I guess Michael B. Jordan landed the role his acting deserved.

Black Panther: Is Killmonger Really Marvel’s Best Villain?

Black-Panther-Killmonger-best-MCU-villai

Erik Killmonger was an undeniable scene-stealer in Black Panther, but how does he stack up against the other villains in the MCU?

Killmonger Is Marvel’s Most Relatable Villain

As we’ve discussed previously, Killmonger’s tragic past drives his actions. His hatred for T’Challa and his father turned to resentment for Wakandan ideology as a whole; in Killmonger’s mind, T’Chaka’s choice to leave him orphaned and alone makes him a representative of all those of African descent around that world that Wakanda could help, but chooses not to. The nation’s isolationist policies are responsible for the oppression of black people across the globe, in his eyes.

How Killmonger stacks up against elite MCU bad guys

If Michael B. Jordan’s Killmonger is on any end of the spectrum, it’s certainly up there towards the top, but is he really better than the MCU’s elite? In a word…almost. He’s definitely among the best, but it’s hard to say he’s more charismatic that Loki in The Avengers, more menacing than Wilson Fisk in Daredevil, or more flat-out terrifying than the Winter Soldier when he debuted in the second Captain America movie. Jessica Jones’ Kilgrave is infinitely creepier, and Killmonger’s character twist wasn’t quite as unexpected as the Vulture’s in Spider-Man Homecoming. Focusing in on singular traits doesn’t tell the whole story, however, so overall (and this is strictly our opinion, and is therefore entirely subjective), we’d say that Killmonger is safely in the MCU’s top five.

Heath Ledger Joker comparisons

We’ll just state the obvious here and get it out of the way: no, Michael B. Jordan’s Killmonger is not a better comic book villain than Heath Ledger’s Joker. With a bit more screentime, it’s conceivable that he may have approached Ledger-level awesomeness. But as it stands, Ledger’s fearless, groundbreaking performance remains head and shoulders above all other comic book movie villains (arguably even movie villains as a whole). There’s a reason he’s the gold standard, folks. But no, MBJ’s Killmonger doesn’t quite stack up to the cinematic perfection that is Heath Ledger’s Clown Prince of Crime. He’s pretty damn fantastic, though.

Edited by Bosco685

46 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Wow! I guess Michael B. Jordan landed the role his acting deserved.

Black Panther: Is Killmonger Really Marvel’s Best Villain?

Black-Panther-Killmonger-best-MCU-villai

The guy had like half an hour of screen time.   Good character as far as why he did what he did but I didn't think the acting was anything special, just my opinion.

21 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

The guy had like half an hour of screen time.   Good character as far as why he did what he did but I didn't think the acting was anything special, just my opinion.

Some actors can make more of an impression in their roles with a more limited amount of time.

Anthony Hopkins won an Oscar for his villainous role that only had 16 minutes of screen time in "Silence of the Lambs." :makepoint:  

34 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Some actors can make more of an impression in their roles with a more limited amount of time.

Anthony Hopkins won an Oscar for his villainous role that only had 16 minutes of screen time in "Silence of the Lambs." :makepoint:  

I agree, like I said it's my opinion.   Good character way overrated In My Opinion.  Are we really comparing Jordan to Hopkins' Lector lol.

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Really good film.

Do not expect it to maintain Avengers numbers, think it will continue to do very well next weekend then fall off rapidly.   Part of this is being driven by the ethnicity break down where African Americans accounted for 37% of the crowds where they are typically 12% ( I think that is the right number it may be 15%). That certainly accounts for a good portion of the numbers, but when African Americans make up again about 15% of the total US population it can only be a driving factor for so long.  Still very impressive that Marvel managed to turn this into an almost cultural event.

Also with an ethnic group being a very powerful driving factor, a wonder how this translates to foreign markets. This movie released more or less worldwide this weekend, and while the foreign numbers are very good they are not record shattering. Again China is a wildcard here, and it is really the last major market for BP to open and that is in March.

With all that said this move looks on track to hit 1 billion.

2 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I know that's often quoted, but it's not true.

It's more like 30 minutes. I timed it once.

But your general point is valid.(thumbsu