• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, drotto said:

Really good film.

Do not expect it to maintain Avengers numbers, think it will continue to do very well next weekend then fall off rapidly.   Part of this is being driven by the ethnicity break down where African Americans accounted for 37% of the crowds where they are typically 12% ( I think that is the right number it may be 15%). That certainly accounts for a good portion of the numbers, but when African Americans make up again about 15% of the total US population it can only be a driving factor for so long.  Still very impressive that Marvel managed to turn this into an almost cultural event.

Also with an ethnic group being a very powerful driving factor, a wonder how this translates to foreign markets. This movie released more or less worldwide this weekend, and while the foreign numbers are very good they are not record shattering. Again China is a wildcard here, and it is really the last major market for BP to open and that is in March.

With all that said this move looks on track to hit 1 billion.

China is a definite wildcard but it also hasn't opened in Russia or Japan.  These two countries have contributed $36-38MM for each of the last 3 MCU releases.

9 minutes ago, paperheart said:

China is a definite wildcard but it also hasn't opened in Russia or Japan.  These two countries have contributed $36-38MM for each of the last 3 MCU releases.

I think it is a safe bet to hit just north of 1 billion.  Just think you are not going to see the 40/60 domestic to foreign ratio that recent MCU have been getting. Thinking like 475 domestic with the remaining 525 needed coming from everywhere else.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Really good film.

Do not expect it to maintain Avengers numbers, think it will continue to do very well next weekend then fall off rapidly.   Part of this is being driven by the ethnicity break down where African Americans accounted for 37% of the crowds where they are typically 12% ( I think that is the right number it may be 15%). That certainly accounts for a good portion of the numbers, but when African Americans make up again about 15% of the total US population it can only be a driving factor for so long.  Still very impressive that Marvel managed to turn this into an almost cultural event.

Also with an ethnic group being a very powerful driving factor, a wonder how this translates to foreign markets. This movie released more or less worldwide this weekend, and while the foreign numbers are very good they are not record shattering. Again China is a wildcard here, and it is really the last major market for BP to open and that is in March.

With all that said this move looks on track to hit 1 billion.

It is going to be interesting. Two of the wild cards are a ways down the road. But not like other movies, where China and Japan were months down the road.

Remaining releases:

• Russia: 22 February 2018(IMAX version)
  • Estonia: 23 February 2018
  • Russia: 26 February 2018
  • Japan: 1 March 2018
  • China: 9 March 2018

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

It is going to be interesting. Two of the wild cards are a ways down the road. But not like other movies, where China and Japan were months down the road.

Remaining releases:

• Russia: 22 February 2018(IMAX version)
  • Estonia: 23 February 2018
  • Russia: 26 February 2018
  • Japan: 1 March 2018
  • China: 9 March 2018

imagine how big it's going to be in wakanda!

5 hours ago, DiamondCityComics said:

Are we really comparing Jordan to Hopkins' Lector lol.

It was the first one I could think of.

I was using Silence of the Lambs as an analogy.  No one was taking horror films too seriously at the time.  No one expected Hopkins to walk off into people's subconscious like he did in '91, despite his body of work at the time.  I was just comparing the horror genre actors to the funny book ones now.

Nowadays, TV shows like Criminal Minds and various James Patterson movies have driven the whole UNSUB-thing into the ground and will probably never be taken seriously again anyway.

Saw it this morning at 10:30 AM and theater was about 75% full on a Monday morning.

I talked to the local Theater manager as I had a few minutes after the movie. They have an 18 screen theater with multiple showings all day.
They sold out of every Black Panther screening this weekend. One employee told me it was chaos there were so many people there.

Like many others I thought the movie was very well done. 8.5/9.0 I think. The slight critics I have are the dark fights in the jungle hard to 
see a lot of the action at beginning, poor CGI spots mostly with Rhinos, and some spots felt a little rushed. These are all minor criticisms.

Without giving anything away I thought Marvel just grabbed another demographic with this movie. I saw people there I would never see a 
Marvel movie old and young. Michael Jordan was fantastic as Killmonger. First time I have felt for a villain at Marvel which goes to show just
how well this film was put together.

This is the world that Hudlin and Priest created for Black Panther back in the late 90s and early 2000s they should be very proud. The soundtrack
blended great with this film and most of the action sequences were well done. 

Marvel has done something here to be very proud of. The nice thing is they didn't need to create some new character to do it. They took a C level
character and promoted him. Nobody thought much of Panther in the 80s or he wasn't used enough.   The use of Kilmonger and his origin was 
a fantastic idea that will play well to the audience that is watching. In some ways you completely feel for the villain which is a sign that Marvel 
has got it right.

DC film executives should go to this film and take a notebook. Its a class in how to make a good action film.

Finally got to see Black Panther.  

I thought it was a good movie, great scenery, and the story that surrounds T'Challa and his journey to King.  I'm aware of the comic book so of course I'm looking at it in comparison to that context.  As everyone else stated, some of the scenes were a bit dark and CGI was not as good as I would expected.

On the social things in the movie, I really didn't get any epiphany that a lot of people came away with (predominately the African-American community).  I know it sold well which is a result of that community and its support for a film that represents themselves. (Which I guess people forgot about Blade, Spawn, etc...) but hey....

Michael B. Jordan made a statement that was profound on being in bondage or free in referring to his ancestors, but I was thinking "They weren't your ancestors because you are Wakanda and unless I missed something none of the Wakandas were put into slavery, so he's actually not connected to those in America" LOL!  But hey I guess you have to put something in the movie.

It was interesting the comment about the weave and how it was a disgrace. LOL!  Though I doubt that will change any minds. 

On the movie and its high ratings, I think it is a result of the "backlash" that would result if it didn't receive a good one as much as the movie itself. (The typical "racism" that is exhibited in America, social injustice, etc..etc...)  I am not afraid to admit that the African-American community is the "Untouchable" community in regards to any criticism, correction, or advice UNLESS it comes from someone of that culture.  The interesting thing is that those who have made comments against and for this movie and how it shows the condition in America today, is that I do hope both sides realize that the Black Panther was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby who are not African American. "shrugs shoulder".

In the end, I believe this movie and its "social impact on the AA community" will have it's time and fade away.  I would give it a month, maybe two, if a culture is looking towards a fictional movie to elevate their social awareness/pride about themselves then I think it reveals more about the unfortunate part of a culture and how they see themselves then a renewed spirit.

I've watched movies who provide more to think about than any superhero movie that would represent a community/people, but unfortunately many in the AA community this would fall on deaf ears, example would be this scene in Glory.

Edited by 1ForChrist

My son and I saw it this morning.  Theater was not packed (which I was happy about).  Loved the movie and so did my son.  I thought the whole story was well done and liked all the characters in it.  I liked how they pulled a lot from the comics.

Definitely getting the DVD when it comes out.

1 hour ago, 1ForChrist said:

Finally got to see Black Panther.  

I thought it was a good movie, great scenery, and the story that surrounds T'Challa and his journey to King.  I'm aware of the comic book so of course I'm looking at it in comparison to that context.  As everyone else stated, some of the scenes were a bit dark and CGI was not as good as I would expected.

On the social things in the movie, I really didn't get any epiphany that a lot of people came away with (predominately the African-American community).  I know it sold well which is a result of that community and its support for a film that represents themselves. (Which I guess people forgot about Blade, Spawn, etc...) but hey....

Michael B. Jordan made a statement that was profound on being in bondage or free in referring to his ancestors, but I was thinking "They weren't your ancestors because you are Wakanda and unless I missed something none of the Wakandas were put into slavery, so he's actually not connected to those in America" LOL!  But hey I guess you have to put something in the movie.

It was interesting the comment about the weave and how it was a disgrace. LOL!  Though I doubt that will change any minds. 

On the movie and its high ratings, I think it is a result of the "backlash" that would result if it didn't receive a good one as much as the movie itself. (The typical "racism" that is exhibited in America, social injustice, etc..etc...)  I am not afraid to admit that the African-American community is the "Untouchable" community in regards to any criticism, correction, or advice UNLESS it comes from someone of that culture.  The interesting thing is that those who have made comments against and for this movie and how it shows the condition in America today, is that I do hope both sides realize that the Black Panther was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby who are not African American. "shrugs shoulder".

In the end, I believe this movie and its "social impact on the AA community" will have it's time and fade away.  I would give it a month, maybe two, if a culture is looking towards a fictional movie to elevate their social awareness/pride about themselves then I think it reveals more about the unfortunate part of a culture and how they see themselves then a renewed spirit.

I've watched movies who provide more to think about than any superhero movie that would represent a community/people, but unfortunately many in the AA community this would fall on deaf ears, example would be this scene in Glory.

I think it's presumptuous of one to say which movies should or should not have a social impact on a group of people. Your perceptions and experiences are not the same. It's okay if it has an impact on you, but do not assume it impacts others the same way. Wonder Woman was an empowering movie for girls, but it did not affect me the same way.

Exactly.

I loved Wonder Woman, but -- as a man -- cannot speak to how or whether it was found "better" or "more empowering" by women.

I will note that a fairly significant social media influencer liked Black Panther and found it inspirational.

Michelle Obama Black Panther.PNG

Edited by Gatsby77