• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That $60 million+ Sunday gross is a monster.

Puts it at # 4 on the all-time inflation-adjusted chart for a Sunday. After only:

• The Avengers
  • The Force Awakens
  • Jurassic World

More people saw Black Panther on its first Sunday than folks saw The Dark Knight on its first Sunday.

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That $60 million+ Sunday gross is a monster.

Puts it at # 4 on the all-time inflation-adjusted chart for a Sunday. After only:

• The Avengers
  • The Force Awakens
  • Jurassic World

More people saw Black Panther on its first Sunday than folks saw The Dark Knight on its first Sunday.

And the train isn't stopping anytime soon.

I heard this NPR 'All Things Considered today about Black Panther, and the larger impact it is going to have on big screen productions.

'Black Panther' Success Proves That Movies With Black Actors Can Do Well Internationally

Short but worth a listen what a comic book movie is delivering beyond the hobby.

Saw it over weekend, thought it was really good.  Alot of fun . Not the best Marvel movie like some of the reviewers   etc are saying   but probally right behind the top ones for me  (Avengers , iron Man , Clvil War, and Winter Solider) , But again was alot of fun and a good movie and would recommend . All I can ask for when I see a movie.

Edited by spidrvacc

I saw it on Saturday with friends.  Everyone enjoyed it.  There was a long line to get in 30 minutes before screen time and everyone clapped when the movie ended.  I've missed most of the Marvel superhero movies that have come out in the last two years, but definitely glad I saw this one in the theater.

(thumbsu

As soon as M'Baku praised Hanuman, I knew it would crush at the box office.:cloud9:

E_-3QsfKcNgQXUp2bBQU6e-SoyFZPEClPG8D690Z

It wasn't the best Marvel movie by any means, but definitely another milestone.

I thought Justice League was a more exciting story but Disney just presents their Marvel films better than WB has been doing with DC.

Can't wait for Infinity War.:whee:

I enjoyed it a lot. I say a very happy 85%. Not in the top tear of Superhero movies, but no where near the worst either.

Very much liked the Black Panther and the Killmonger. I liked the art direction. I liked the positive messages without feeling preachy.

On the downside, had some bad humor, some really bad Road Runner type crash/explosions (driver still holding steering wheel but car was totally destroyed) and an above average amount of bad CGC/Compositing.

Edited by Rip

Saw this yesterday afternoon with my Mom, Dad and Wife.  My dad thought it was just ok; my Mom who knows nothing about the character; liked it and so did my wife.  I thought that they did a good job with the story and liked it a whole lot better then the latest Thor movie.

Psy

Last night at my LCS a lady walked in with her (i assume) 2 sons and was asking the owner if he had "the Black Panther book". Garry showed her to some comics he had but she seemed very confused, she was under the impression that this was a book. This got me to think that most people who dont know the character and just heard about him through the movie probably think that this is based on a book ala Harry Potter.

I would think that it would probably be a good idea for Marvel to adapt the movie to a graphic novel. No brainer

30 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Last night at my LCS a lady walked in with her (i assume) 2 sons and was asking the owner if he had "the Black Panther book". Garry showed her to some comics he had but she seemed very confused, she was under the impression that this was a book. This got me to think that most people who dont know the character and just heard about him through the movie probably think that this is based on a book ala Harry Potter.

I would think that it would probably be a good idea for Marvel to adapt the movie to a graphic novel. No brainer

There must be some trade paperbacks availible for Black Panther.  If not get those presses moving fast or you could have yet another missed opportunity to bring in new readers.

40 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Comic companies not release graphic novels of the movies anymore?

I remember when DC released Batman, Batman Returns etc when they came out and they were always slightly different to the movies which was interesting to read and compare to the movies.

I actually want to order the Black Panther Epic Collection: Panther's Rage.

It collects FF 52-53 and Jungle Action 6-24.

Jungle Action # 6 is the first appearance of Killmonger, and apparently notes that he grew up in Harlem (vs. Oakland in the movie) and that he holds a doctorate in engineering from MIT.

4 hours ago, drotto said:

There must be some trade paperbacks availible for Black Panther.  If not get those presses moving fast or you could have yet another missed opportunity to bring in new readers.

Exactly my thoughts! 

Even though I'm aware of a few black panther tpb (BP essential comes to mind) I'm sure that there are other fans of the movie that are seeking a book instead of a tpb collecting various comics. In their mind this probably seems like a movie based on a self contained story. And to not have a book ready to pick up is a HUGE missed opportunity. 

Hopefuly they're working on one soon