• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

Speaking to a friend today (who's not big into comics) he told me that people forget/don't know that Blade was the first aa superhero lol

So even tho he was wrong, that got me to think that even tho one can't compare the commercial success of BP to Blade (which was a huge hit back then as well) is it possible that Marvel (and DC for that matter) slept for too long on black superhero movies???

42 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Speaking to a friend today (who's not big into comics) he told me that people forget/don't know that Blade was the first aa superhero lol

So even tho he was wrong, that got me to think that even tho one can't compare the commercial success of BP to Blade (which was a huge hit back then as well) is it possible that Marvel (and DC for that matter) slept for too long on black superhero movies???

I think Blade is underrated and _hugely_ important because it essentially proved the viability of non-Superman/Batman superheroes.

I don't think it's an overstatement that the first film led to studios finally taking chances on X-Men and Spider-Man (after the long-rumored James Cameron-Leonardo DiCaprio venture).

I know that Bryan Singer was slated to direct X-Men as early as 1996, but it's telling that it took a few more re-writes (and well -- Blade) before the project was finally greenlit.

23 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I think Blade is underrated and _hugely_ important because it essentially proved the viability of non-Superman/Batman superheroes.

I don't think it's an overstatement that the first film led to studios finally taking chances on X-Men and Spider-Man (after the long-rumored James Cameron-Leonardo DiCaprio venture).

I know that Bryan Singer was slated to direct X-Men as early as 1996, but it's telling that it took a few more re-writes (and well -- Blade) before the project was finally greenlit.

Blade is an awesome movie and one of my favourite action and come book related movies, IMO it easily surpasses majority of films put out by the MCU and DCEU.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:43 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I think what most comic connoisseurs (no pun intended) here don't see is that for the regular movie goer, not comic fan, this was perceived as an amazing cinematic experience. They didn't go to see it comparing it to other superheroes movies. 

That's why this movie is so effin out-the-box brilliant. 

I completely agree.  Just got back with seeing it with my 25 year old, and we both loved it.  Yes, the CGI was wonky in a bunch of spots (my son thinks it may be from the theatre being limited to 24 frames per second).  However, it's a minor complaint against the fantastic job with the Panther backstory, the costumes, soundtrack, and plot, and the exceptional number of strong female characters.  Finally, there's palpable empathy for the sensational fantasy storyline of a powerful, independent, technologically superior African nation, beautifully rendered on screen, and in full control of its own destiny and with much to offer the rest of the civilized world.  This movie fully deserves its megablockbuster status, and all the kudos for the writer-director.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, bane said:

Blade is an awesome movie and one of my favourite action and come book related movies, IMO it easily surpasses majority of films put out by the MCU and DCEU.

Yes, but Blade II is a _masterpiece_.

Friends of mine didn't believe me -- about either that film or Guillermo Del Toro's skill -- until years later when he did Pan's Labyrinth.

9 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

It's only Saturday morning? 

it's math. they take Friday's # and apply a formula and then they adjust as actual #'s come in.  he already adjusted upwards from $92MM based on early Friday estimate. plus he said $100MM+ early in the week and wants people to acknowledge he got it right.

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

it's math. they take Friday's # and apply a formula and then they adjust as actual #'s come in.  he already adjusted upwards from $92MM based on early Friday estimate. plus he said $100MM+ early in the week and wants people to acknowledge he got it right.

Whatever makes a man feel good, have at it.

18 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I couldn't agree more :applause:

45 minutes ago, Azkaban said:
19 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I couldn't agree more :applause:

+1

Great point, Gatsby77. My wife and I still love watching the Blade Trilogy whenever it is on (Trinity is a bit weak, but still has its moments). Up until that point, the only successful franchises had been Batman and Superman, but they were waning due to bad campy movies at the end. Blade changed that - it was a more serious/darker tone with the right mix of humor. That was a fun trilogy that paved the way for a change in the tone of the comic movie genre for the better. 

On 2/22/2018 at 9:57 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I agree -- if BP does $100MM this weekend, its doing better than Infinity War isn't out of bounds.

If it does $100MM this weekend, we're looking at $600+ million domestic.

The Avengers did $624 million domestic.

Age of Ultron did just $459 million domestic.

Infinity War should be somewhere in the middle -- definitely $500 million domestic, but $600 million+ is not at all assured.

if Deadline's latest estimate $104MM stands, odds of $600MM+ US is 80/20 in favor.  odds of passing Avengers $624MM (unadjusted) is 40/60 against.  'BP, the highest grossing MCU movie in the US'- a statement no one in their right mind would have uttered a month ago.