• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

What's the presumptive break-even on a $200 million production + $150 million advertising?

$800 million? $850 million?

I know there are many variables that play into this, including the domestic/foreign split, advertising off-sets, merchandising revenue, etc.

But I don't like seeing _any_ movie studios spending so much that a film has to do $400 million domestic / $400 million international just to break even.

Similarly, I'm wondering if Avatar 2 will break records to the tune of a $350 million production cost + $150 million in advertising...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/02/28/black-panther-tops-wonder-woman-and-may-help-avengers-infinity-war-soar-even-higher/#388ed3232ccb

Mendelson now asking if BP will outgross AIW in US; he must've been reading my posts :D

Will AIW ride BP's coattails or will people remember AOU was kind of a dud and not flock to it in record #'s?

BP has $500MM US in sight by end of weekend, would be a stretch but isn't out of the realm of possibility

Edited by paperheart

9 minutes ago, paperheart said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/02/28/black-panther-tops-wonder-woman-and-may-help-avengers-infinity-war-soar-even-higher/#388ed3232ccb

Mendelson now asking if BP will outgross AIW in US; he must've been reading my posts :D

Will AIW ride BP's coattails or will people remember AOU was kind of a dud and not flock to it in record #'s?

BP has $500MM US in sight by end of weekend, would be a stretch but isn't out of the realm of possibility

There has been such a build-up to Thanos and Infinity War, I don't think AOU would influence the vast majority of movie-goers, especially since the last few movies such as BP and Thor have been so well received.

It's not only BP that leads into AIW. You have basically the entire Marvel CU as a lead up to AIW as the main event. I think that when the dust settles we will see AIW as the top inflation adjusted grossing superhero film domestically and globally to date. 

I do think that the back to back box office success for Deadpool and BP will have studio execs rethinking their launch timing. It may be better to release in February/March before the theatres become oversaturated with too many big ticket action films in May through July. The same goes for mid/late August releases like GotG and SS. Timing of release can definitely help the final box office results.

Edited by kimik

Saw the movie, it was good. It was about 20 minutes to long and the dialogue got a little wooden giving some parts a bit of a boring feel. Also some parts were a little heavy cheesy like "ultra-rhino" and riding in the car seat with no car. Overall i'd put this in the middle of the pack. The batting order for me is...

1. Captain America 3

2. Guardians of the Galaxy 1

3. Captain America 2

4. Avengers 1

5. Thor 3

6. Dr. Strange

7. Iron Man 1

8. Ant-man 1

9. Iron Man 3

10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

11. Spider-man 1

12. Captain America 1

13. Black Panther

14. Thor 1

15. Avengers 2

16. Thor 2

17. The Incredible Hulk

18. Iron Man 2

15 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I think Black Panther could end up taking the 5th or 4th spot for worldwide numbers at the end of it's run.

Incredible! Especially for a standalone hero movie.

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Incredible! Especially for a standalone hero movie.

Puts the pressure on the rest of the superhero movies this year.

Other than Avengers Infinity War I don't see anything coming close to it boxoffice wise.

Poor Ant-Man 2. It will do good but not like Black Panther.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

23 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Puts the pressure on the rest of the superhero movies this year.

Other than Avengers Infinity War I don't see anything coming close to it boxoffice wise.

Poor Ant-Man 2. It will do good but not like Black Panther.

A-M doesn't have to do anything like BP (and won't) but if it's solidly entertaining and does bigger BO than the first it's still a win.  Will push the studio to a$3BB year (on top of $2.6BB last year, if you include S-M:HC)